Menu

Boiled Eggs - Best recipe for easy peel?

Don't start with fresh eggs. If they're a week old, they're perfect.

Place eggs in pot. Fill the pot with cold water covering the eggs by about an inch, and add a hefty pinch of baking soda. Bring to a boil and once it's rapidly boiling, remove from heat and let cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat and run under cold water.

They should peel like a dream. :)

I saw a duh kind of thing on Pinterest the other day...just slice the egg, still in shell, in half with a sharp knife. I haven't tried it yet though.

I usually bring to a boil, then cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Pour the water off and shock with ice water for one minute. Pour off and cover with hot water. Put on the lid and shake for one minute. The peels come off so much better. We have chickens, so our eggs are very fresh and hard to peel.

Place eggs in pot. Fill the pot with cold water covering the eggs by about an inch, and add a hefty pinch of baking soda. Bring to a boil and once it's rapidly boiling, remove from heat and let cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat and run under cold water.

What she said.

I was taught to kind of "squish & roll" after cracking the shell. It seems to loosen it so that it comes right off. Obviously, don't squish the egg too much; just apply a little pressure as you roll it between your palms.

This is exactly what I do and I've never had a problem. Just roll the egg on the counter, applying pressure. Then slip a spoon under the broken shell to slide the peel off.

I agree with the baking soda. Even with old eggs, I couldn't ever get them to peel well until I started adding baking soda to the water.