Menu

I am SO not a big city person

A friend and I went and spend the weekend in Chicago.

Actually, we drove from Michigan to Schaumburg Friday and had a hotel there. Saturday we took the METRA to Union Station. We then walked from there to Navy Pier and back---along with some side trips. We did the Wendell river and lake boat tour to round out our day.

All in all it was a great time as the weather was beautiful and we got in a LOT of walking. I am not used to standing on a street corner and being able to see 2 McDonalds at once (we live in a 36 square mile township with 1 restuarant, 1 bar, and 2 gas stations in the entire township....and not even 1 traffic light). I am also NOT used to having to ask a security guard to unlock a bathroom so that I can pee :-)

Traffic going there was not the greatest but we figured it was Friday night. Coming home it was even worse. It took us FOREVER to get anywhere.

I am very thankful to be back home where the biggest traffic jam we have is caused by a hay wagon, blueberry picker or combine moving slowly down the road and where I can pee with out asking security first.

I was also baffled that a place like Union Station had just TWO functional toilets in the woman's bathroom---the other 2 weren't working.

Just to show how "hip" we are here, a guy stopped by tonight to ask me if I had seen his donkey and mini mule as they are loose wandering the township.

A friend and I went and spend the weekend in Chicago.

Actually, we drove from Michigan to Schaumburg Friday and had a hotel there. Saturday we took the METRA to Union Station. We then walked from there to Navy Pier and back---along with some side trips. We did the Wendell river and lake boat tour to round out our day.

All in all it was a great time as the weather was beautiful and we got in a LOT of walking. I am not used to standing on a street corner and being able to see 2 McDonalds at once (we live in a 36 square mile township with 1 restuarant, 1 bar, and 2 gas stations in the entire township....and not even 1 traffic light). I am also NOT used to having to ask a security guard to unlock a bathroom so that I can pee :-)

Traffic going there was not the greatest but we figured it was Friday night. Coming home it was even worse. It took us FOREVER to get anywhere.

I am very thankful to be back home where the biggest traffic jam we have is caused by a hay wagon, blueberry picker or combine moving slowly down the road and where I can pee with out asking security first.

I was also baffled that a place like Union Station had just TWO functional toilets in the woman's bathroom---the other 2 weren't working.

Just to show how "hip" we are here, a guy stopped by tonight to ask me if I had seen his donkey and mini mule as they are loose wandering the township.

LOL about the loose donkey and mini mule!!! We're small town folks, too, but I did love visiting NYC. We've been there a few times. The lack of public bathrooms was frustrating at times, but there was SO MUCH to see.

Glad you had a great time!

LOL about the loose donkey and mini mule!!! We're small town folks, too, but I did love visiting NYC. We've been there a few times. The lack of public bathrooms was frustrating at times, but there was SO MUCH to see.

Glad you had a great time!

Where I grew up (just about 7 miles down the road) we would often have loose buffalo wandering on the roads when they would get out.

I love Chicago and go as often as I can. But living just 2 hours away, we still have that small town stuff. Today a co-worker had to run home because one of his cows had escaped- and a neighbor called him at work to tell him about it. Nope that wouldn't happen on Michigan Avenue.

Sounds like you had a fun trip but you're glad to be back home- that's the best kind of trip to take.

Today a co-worker had to run home because one of his cows had escaped- and a neighbor called him at work to tell him about it. Nope that wouldn't happen on Michigan Avenue.

They don't allow cows in Chicago anymore. It has something to do with a cow, a lantern, and a big fire.:lol:

Uggh. I'm not a big city person either. I grew up in a town like you live in, but now live in a small college town. I've been to NYC, DC and some other decent sized cities (though not Chicago) a few times and I'm always thrilled to be back home. I would wither and die if I had to move there. Everything is just so frantic there.