Menu

Cream of Mushroom Soup question....

Why is it that everything easy and simple to make has to involve cream of mushroom soup?? My hubby HATES Cream of Mushroon Soup and has forbidden me to use it:glare: I have even tried to trick him, and it does not work!!

My question is..... what can I use in place of it? Any idears out there??

Help me please!!

Depends on what you are cooking. You can try Cream of Celery, Cream of Chicken with herbs is a good one or Cream of Onion.

For most recipes, I would probably sub the Cream of Onion or Cream of Celery. Like Green Bean Casserole would be just fine with Cream of Onion soup. Or that recipe with the Chicken, rice and Cream of Mushroom soup....sub either Cream of Chicken or Cream of Onion.

If it calls for both Cream of Mushroom & Cream of _____, then just double-up on the other flavor.

Hope this helps!

We do not use cream soups (unless homemade) in recipes. My husband doesn't like them. I make a white roux sauce and season it for the dish. For example, to make creamed chicken, I make the sauce (out of a cookbook recipe) and season it with chicken broth. I set it aside. I sautee the mushrooms and onions and brown the chickent and then I put the sauce on top of the food. It's delicious and I must say, tastes better than canned soup.

Well, I have not really tried to subsitute COM with another CO_. He hates mushrooms, first of all, and he says that the COM gives everything a wang to it. LOL... I hope you understand our slang:lol:

I was going to make Chicken Spaghetti and it calls for COM. It seems like EVERY casserole dish calls for COM!! I may try and substitute another CO_ and see how it goes.

My other thought was just make a cream type sauce with butter, flour and milk until it thickens. I wonder how that would be.

By the way, in case you have not figured it out yet, I am not the greatest in the kitchen. My mom never taught me these things:confused:

Thanks for the suggestions!

For chicken spaghetti, definitely use cream of chicken soup if you want a canned soup. Making it from scratch is easy and takes about as long as opening two cans of soup and trying to get all of it out with a spatula that is a little too big for the can opening, lol. Just make a basic white sauce and put something yummy in it after it thickens: onion, mushroom, chicken bits, celery or what-have-you. Easy-peasy.