Menu

In a pickle

So, in my zeal to promote the direct sales business I'm in locally (the vinyl lettering for walls), I told the new children's consignment store in town that I'd donate a design for their business if I could put my business cards and a catalog on the counter. They agreed to the arrangement and I dropped off a catalog, with a note on the phrase I thought would be really cute in a particular area of the store (the front of the front counter, where the cash register is). But I also said they could choose something different if they wanted, of course.

Well, I stopped by today to see what they decided and they did choose one different than the one I had, for a really good reason (the reason being that the two words "Small Beginnings" are prominent in the expression and people might think that's the name of the store). BUT the one they chose, to get a size that would look right in the area we talked about, would be about $12-$22 more than I was thinking! The one I'd picked out, in the largest size, was $31.95 and the one that would look best of they design they chose is $44 (better) or $53 (best). Yikes! There IS a smaller one of the design they chose for $31.95 but I think it would look too small on that front counter.

What do you think I should do?

1) Bite the bullet and do it anyway, in a larger size.

2) Call and mention the price difference in a friendly way and see if they want to pay the difference for a larger size.

3) Just order the smaller one, then when I take it in to apply it see if they want to put it on the front counter or in a different place (where it might look better).

4) Other?

Any suggestions?

So, in my zeal to promote the direct sales business I'm in locally (the vinyl lettering for walls), I told the new children's consignment store in town that I'd donate a design for their business if I could put my business cards and a catalog on the counter. They agreed to the arrangement and I dropped off a catalog, with a note on the phrase I thought would be really cute in a particular area of the store (the front of the front counter, where the cash register is). But I also said they could choose something different if they wanted, of course.

Well, I stopped by today to see what they decided and they did choose one different than the one I had, for a really good reason (the reason being that the two words "Small Beginnings" are prominent in the expression and people might think that's the name of the store). BUT the one they chose, to get a size that would look right in the area we talked about, would be about $12-$22 more than I was thinking! The one I'd picked out, in the largest size, was $31.95 and the one that would look best of they design they chose is $44 (better) or $53 (best). Yikes! There IS a smaller one of the design they chose for $31.95 but I think it would look too small on that front counter.

What do you think I should do?

1) Bite the bullet and do it anyway, in a larger size.

2) Call and mention the price difference in a friendly way and see if they want to pay the difference for a larger size.

3) Just order the smaller one, then when I take it in to apply it see if they want to put it on the front counter or in a different place (where it might look better).

4) Other?

Any suggestions?

I would do nbr. one and chalk it to advertising write off. Just keep reciept.

Jet

Did you specify a limit on the donated design? If not, you need to bite the bullet and chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way. Unfortunately, that's how I like to learn my lessons. :tongue_smilie:

You don't want to do #3, because all it'll do is let them down about your product. That will have the opposite affect you want. You want them to be bowled over and love your product so that they will talk it up.

ETA: I must be the slowest typist ever. And too funny that I used the same expression as AJ. :)

I agree with the past posters that you need to absorb the cost for the larger design yourself. You've learned a lesson and now you know that if you do this again you should put a price limit on the free design offer with the option for them to pay the difference if they would like a larger one.

I hope it works out and you get some good business leads from there. It is not always easy learning from experience, but you never forget the lesson. :) :grouphug:

Part of the frustrating thing with this happening this week is that on Tuesday morning I placed an order for business cards from VistaPrint (about $32) -- and then that afternoon learned that the company I work through is going to be changing the way customers visit the website (in other words, we'll each have a different URL now). So my business cards are basically useless. Grrr. So for this to happen too -- aye yi yi.

But I do see the wisdom of biting the bullet. I guess if it had been ME and I'd been offered something free, and needed to pick an alternate, I would have noted the price of the free offer and then stayed very close to that price range, KWIM? But I didn't specify and they may just never have paid attention to price at all.

Did you specify a limit on the donated design? If not, you need to bite the bullet and chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way. Unfortunately, that's how I like to learn my lessons. :tongue_smilie:

You don't want to do #3, because all it'll do is let them down about your product. That will have the opposite affect you want. You want them to be bowled over and love your product so that they will talk it up.

ETA: I must be the slowest typist ever. And too funny that I used the same expression as AJ. :)

Great minds think alike!:cheers2:

Part of the frustrating thing with this happening this week is that on Tuesday morning I placed an order for business cards from VistaPrint (about $32) -- and then that afternoon learned that the company I work through is going to be changing the way customers visit the website (in other words, we'll each have a different URL now). So my business cards are basically useless. Grrr. So for this to happen too -- aye yi yi.

But I do see the wisdom of biting the bullet. I guess if it had been ME and I'd been offered something free, and needed to pick an alternate, I would have noted the price of the free offer and then stayed very close to that price range, KWIM? But I didn't specify and they may just never have paid attention to price at all.

If you want to email me (ahjones@earthlink.net) I can forward to you an email I got from Vistaprint that has free business cards and several other free offers on it...all you have to do is pay for shipping. Really good deals.

Angela

Another vote for you absorbing the cost. In the future you may consider offering a free coupon for up to $xx.

Since you are wanting to use the free product for advertising, you want to make sure your representing your very best work. The first client you get from the ad will pay for the difference! Don't skimp on your work samples, if anything be generous to make sure it is beautiful.

Along the same note you may offer a free drawing to a customer "valued at up to $xx". If the store will allow you a little box for names to be dropped in for a month or so, you can use it for an opportunity to get people to really think about your product. It may be a way to generate some interest and get people fantasizing about what they would use the free coupon to design.

Good luck on your endevor!

Tap