Menu

Bear with me...another math ? (re: TT)

BakersDozen

My Saxon 87 and Alg.1/2 material is on the way, yet I just read the thread regarding the upper levels of Saxon and am quite discouraged. I looked at Chalkdust math and about fell over at the prices...no way can I afford that! Then I went to TT and viewed a sample Algebra lesson (multiplying negative/positive #'s) and what struck me immediately is that the students are told the rule, told how to memorize the rule, but not once was the rule explained. By this I mean when 2 negative #'s are multiplied together and result in a positive #, it was not explained why that happens. So just with that one lesson I know that I will have to sit with them, take my own notes and be ready to supplement with my own instruction.

Has anyone else using TT found that to be true with other lessons? I'm planning to spend the rest of my day going through as many sample lessons as I can and hope that the others do a better job of explaining "why" and not just "how".

Edited to add: OK, just went through about 5 of the sample lessons w/my dc and they hated it...absolutely, completely hated it!!! Back to square one I guess.

Yeah, I just about had a coronary after looking at the Chalkdust prices. $300 for ONE math curriculum? :confused: It had better get EXCELLENT for that price! Never used TT, but my dd will use 8/7 next year. She does okay with Saxon. When she fusses a lot about taking too long to complete, I just assign evens/odds or certain problems based on what she needs to review and what she knows cold. She doesn't mind Saxon and I don't either for the later grades. Saxon Elem was too teacher intensive and disjointed for me. Just put all the lessons in the silly workbook instead of having the "meeting", KWIM? I didn't have time to "meet" with my dc every day except to teach a new concept. Anyway, sorry I'm no help with TT, but I'd say since you already ordered 8/7 and Alg. 1/2..give it a try and see how it goes. Saxon isn't for everyone but some really "get it". Give it a whirl...can't hurt!

We use Saxon until Algebra 1 and then we use TT. I have to say it's been a lifesaver for me since I'm really not a math person. My dd has been really independent with it and I've learned a lot too. Anyway, that's been our experience. I'm so glad there are so many choices, aren't you? When you find something doesn't work, there's always something else out there!:001_smile:

My Saxon 87 and Alg.1/2 material is on the way, yet I just read the thread regarding the upper levels of Saxon and am quite discouraged. I looked at Chalkdust math and about fell over at the prices...no way can I afford that! Then I went to TT and viewed a sample Algebra lesson (multiplying negative/positive #'s) and what struck me immediately is that the students are told the rule, told how to memorize the rule, but not once was the rule explained. By this I mean when 2 negative #'s are multiplied together and result in a positive #, it was not explained why that happens. So just with that one lesson I know that I will have to sit with them, take my own notes and be ready to supplement with my own instruction.

Has anyone else using TT found that to be true with other lessons? I'm planning to spend the rest of my day going through as many sample lessons as I can and hope that the others do a better job of explaining "why" and not just "how".

Edited to add: OK, just went through about 5 of the sample lessons w/my dc and they hated it...absolutely, completely hated it!!! Back to square one I guess.

If you are looking for the whys behind the formulas/rules then I would suggest VideoText or Life of Fred. We are using Life of Fred and it was shown why multiplying 2 neg. # equals a pos. #. I know VideoText talks about the whys behind math, so I assume it explains this though I haven't viewed the section where this is covered. VideoText isn't cheap either, but modules A-F is equal to pre-algebra, algebra and algebra 2. Life of Fred is less expensive.

HTH

I second the LOF book.

We made it through ch.5 of Chalkdust, but ds does much better with the way Fred teaches.

And you can't beat the price.

I always wondered how on earth they justified the CD pricetag.

Then I started pricing co-ops. The three I looked at were almost double CD's price for a year of math instruction.

I guess CD feels they are a bargain since they only charge half and you get the teacher on video.

For those of you who have used / seen both -- is there much difference between TT7 and TT Pre-algebra? I know that the main difference is that TT Pre-algebra would include, of course, algebra. :tongue_smilie: But I notice that there is a review of add/sub/mult/div in the beginning of the book. If dd has done 6th grade, could she skip right to pre-algebra? (I have read that the placement tests for TT are not the best?)

Thanks!

I just bought TT7 for my sixth grader. Maybe i should use Life of Fred as a supplement, to explain the whys behind the rules. Has anyone done this?

I thought of this, too, but it is my understanding that LOF is only for algebra and up? And TT7 doesn't cover any algebra?

I could very well be mistaken, though...it has been known to happen from time to time. :tongue_smilie:

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

:w00t:

You've done it to me again!

What is it about math curriculum! I've been down this road 3 times in the past month. :willy_nilly:

OK, this is it. I'm going with LOF and I'm NOT READING any more posts about math curriculum! Not ever again. I'm done! Really.

If only school would start and I could see it all work. Things will be so much better when the nephew is here with his attitude, and talking to himself, and asking why he can't play video games 24x7, and hiding things in his room.

Hm... Maybe I like it better here in summer curriculum-hunt land.

both my dc have used Saxon and it really only tells "how" as well. I think most programs do this. I guess a search on the whys of math could clarify some of those things the textbook authors assume we all know!

Good luck with your search.

BTW...we have decided to use TT because it does explain better than Saxon.

Robin

For what it's worth, Saxon 8/7 and Algebra have worked very well for my son so far, and I'm currently working through Algebra 2 with no problems. If you've already ordered it you might want to try it out before you buy something else. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

I think no matter what program you use (in any subject, not just math) you're going to come across concepts you wish were explained more thoroughly or in a different way, but usually the information you need is easily found online or at the library. For instance, I just googled "multiplying negative numbers" and found several good explanations.

I wouldn't get to frustrated yet . I know Saxon has just come out with their own DVD program for Algebra ,, I think. I know I saw it.

I would give it a try and if its not what you want then you can try something else. I've heard lots of good things about Saxon's upper level math . I'll agree that Saxon's elementary is a bit teacher intensive. I used it for my 2nd daughter . We're going with Christian Light Math instead. It actually has everything I have wanted in a math program and more.