Menu

K, hours per week goal?

JKKJ04

I need a goal for myself of hours per week. I want it to be realistic but what my daughter needs. This number would include, language (reading and writing), math, art, physical activity, read alouds, games, and memory work. I am thinking seat work plus all the other stuff. I am NOT including our CC day. What is a realistic goal? What are you or have you done for K?

Thanks!

Guest Pamijt
I need a goal for myself of hours per week. I want it to be realistic but what my daughter needs. This number would include, language (reading and writing), math, art, physical activity, read alouds, games, and memory work. I am thinking seat work plus all the other stuff. I am NOT including our CC day. What is a realistic goal? What are you or have you done for K?

Thanks!

I try to keep my little ones to an hour of seat work and an hour of other organized activities (art, nature walks, music,etc) after that they are done focusing and ready to play !

We have also been at about an hour a day of seat work for K. My current K'er is at about 15 min/ day and that is fine too. We fit in as many read alouds as possible - usually 20 min + listening in on big kids read alouds. The rest of the day is spent on art, games, and physical activity, although I normally just call it play.

Thank you! This is really helpful, I was thinking 8-9 hours a week with approximately 1 hour of seat work a day. The rest would be fun stuff but I want to try to be intentional to give her the opportunity to exercise, be creative, and play games together.

Thanks!

Thank you! This is really helpful, I was thinking 8-9 hours a week with approximately 1 hour of seat work a day. The rest would be fun stuff but I want to try to be intentional to give her the opportunity to exercise, be creative, and play games together.

Thanks!

That sounds like a good goal to me. It's similar to what we did at that age. I was intentional in what we did--even the "fun" activities. We gradually increased the time to what it is today for 6th grade.

Enjoy the journey!

During the school year, probably 16 hours. We plan to do 2 hours of school work a day M-Th and a 1 hr. class M-Th that we can count as class time (music & art at YMCA, dance/gymnastics & sports at Little Gym). Friday will be field trip day, so about a 4 hour outing.

Hmmm, we use MFW K. Our typical day takes about 2 hours. We also add HWT K and Singapore Early Bird math B (1 p. a day, except for day 3 when we have math sheet in MFWK), so we spend about 15 minutes on math and up to 30 on language / phonics/ handwriting. We still do all the MFW math & Lang, so actual seat work is about a half hour to hour. Then we have read alouds, Bible, activities (art, hands on math, science, etc, rotates), and Spanish. We use the Clase Divertida for Spanish. These activities are more hands on or active, so we will spend an hour to maybe an hour and half on these things. I try to do school in 30-45 min. blocks with breaks in between so she doesn't get overwhelmed.

Edited by lea_lpz

Really we could say 4 hours a day M-th because of including physical exercise, play time, but don't really, but kindergarten in ps does, so we could....

This is where it gets tricky. Everyone "counts" differently. It's always helpful when people specify seatwork or bookwork vs gym class at the Y or playing with other homeschoolers.

To some people the activities have the exact same education value, to others they don't. :)

I spent about 30 minutes on Circle Time (calendar, memorization, hymn study, a couple of picture books), about 30-45 minutes on seatwork (phonics, reading, math, handwriting), and about 15 minutes each on read alouds during lunch and at bedtime. I made sure that the kids had at least an hour of physical activity (playing outside, karate, etc) every day. Most days they played outside for hours... :lol:

Concentrated, focused, "what my curriculum says to do" takes my dd an hour a day, 5 days/wk..

My son did a lot more when he was that age. (3 hours/day)

Depends on the kiddo, depends on what all you are counting as school.

With read alouds? It was probably 2.5-3 hours. We don't really count reading aloud as school, tho.

We did bible, Saxon math, Phonics Pathways (with little readers and some Montessori reading stuff), and read alouds. We read about an hour a day, all sorts of things.

It's hard for me to add up "art, physical activity, read alouds, games" because if you add playing Lego, that's what we spend most of our days doing. :)

In terms of actual schoolwork, my 4.5 year old is spending 45-60 minutes and my 5.5 year old is spending about 90 minutes on "seatwork" in the morning, along with an hour or so of learning about animals and countries in the afternoon.