Menu

Help me figure out a pet-sitting rate, please!

I've been asked by one of DH's co-workers to pet-sit her two rats in my home for 18 days. While I own rats of my own, I have no idea what to charge.

The service would include daily food/water, cage cleaning and an hour of out-of-cage time per day.

What would you charge? If you have pet rats or other rodents, what would you expect to pay?

Edited to add: I'm actually looking to get into this sort of thing - pet-sitting, dog walking etc. - as a business.

Edited by contessa20

I've been asked by one of DH's co-workers to pet-sit her two rats in my home for 18 days. While I own rats of my own, I have no idea what to charge.

The service would include daily food/water, cage cleaning and an hour of out-of-cage time per day.

What would you charge? If you have pet rats or other rodents, what would you expect to pay?

We don't have rodents. And our dog and cats stay home and I have teens come here. Just recently, we paid a family of teens $15 a day - $5 per visit. The profession dog sitter we've used in the past has a sliding scale by how much time she spends here. I can't remember it exactly, but I think it worked out to $40 a day. Expensive but when it was 2 dogs, it was cheaper than kenneling both.

Have you ever called around and gotten kennel fees from places local to you? How much does your vet charge when they have to keep your pets overnight? I'd go cheaper than that fee.

When dd had a friend watch her rat while we were out of town for about two weeks, we paid her $20. However, it was just one rat and probably didn't include that much time out of cage every day and less cage cleaning. So, that might be more the "do a friend a favor" pet sitting rate than a professional sitter ate.

Erica in OR

Do you provide the food? If so, this cost has to be included.

I have no clue about rat sitting :001_smile: but we pay $20.00 a weekend to the girl who pet sits our large dog now and then and I know we are getting a bargain over other pet sitters.

Thanks everyone! Since this is DH's co-worker, I asked for an assessment of her as a person and then asked him to ask her frankly what kind of arrangement she has had in the past. Some people are less "animal freak" than others, if that makes sense. :D Some people are just looking for the equivalent of 3 hots and a cot, while others want and are willing to pay for the best care available. Because I want to break into this business and it is one business where word of mouth is KEY, I didn't want to lose the possibility of the job due to over or under charging. Now that I've done a little more research with other small-animal sitters online and talked to this woman about some things, I have a better handle on what would be appropriate to charge across the board.

I had a number in my head going into this; however, as it turns out the standard rate is more than double it. :001_huh: THIS is why it is good to ask. :tongue_smilie: Veterinary boarding is at least $20/day for rats, if not more. Most independent sitters charge $8 - $15/day depending on location. This woman is used to paying $10/day, which is within the average range. I'm really hoping that this is my "in" and I can build a client base from here.

I pay $20/day, but my petsitters are a family of dog lovers who spend time wearing out my dog with boisterous play. (3 teens and a mom.) They're also friends and live in my neighborhood, so I'm comfortable with them watching a movie over here while snuggling the pooch on the couch.

I would to expect to pay more to a pet sitting business since they would have taxes and insurance to deal with.

Ask her if she will be a reference. You may want to send her pictures of her darlings while she is gone, go ahead and treat her like a client. Make up a bill and give her receipt; be professional. Your business will grow!

I was planning to do the pics and email updates daily but I hadn't thought about a bill. Good idea. Thanks!