Menu

I Inherited a 55 Gallon Aquarium - Need NON-Fish Suggestions!

We've been reading and researching, and we're as undecided as we were when we first got the aquarium. My kids have been wanting another animal, and something furry is out of the question due to allergies. We're looking at reptiles and amphibians - something easy to take care of, that hopefully enjoys being handled a bit, and that can live indoors in a 55 gallon aquarium fairly happily. I'm willing, of course, to buy whatever accessories are needed to make an appropriate habitat.

Please, any suggestions, personal experience, or advice would be appreciated!

A year ago we got 3 beautiful fire bellied toads. Now, the kids can't handle them (They're toxic not poisonous) and there is the whole cricket feeding part that takes a bit to get used to, but we LOVE them! They have individual personalities and are so fun to watch. Ours even come up to the tank to "talk". They have the sweetest little croak that sounds more like a squeaky toy. My boys love them!

We have 2 Asian and 1 European (only difference is the coloring), named Shatner (because he's so. dang. dramatic.), Herb, and Clyde. Our tank is only 15 gallons. Imagine how many toads you could get!!! :)

We have a terrarium set up in our tank. Half water with a small filter and the other half (with a barrier to keep from sliding) small gravel. Add some cool stones and plastic aquarium plants and its so pretty and sounds nice with a little water fall effect. The toads are cheap. They live for up to 15 years. Their food costs up $2 a week. The set up cost $50, if I remember right. They're easy and fun.

So, there's my 2 pennies worth. Of course, IF we had a bigger tank, I'd love a lizard, maybe an iguana. I refuse to get anything that I have to feed mammals to though. Insectivores or Veggies only. KWIM?

Happy hunting, you lucky girl!

I can give you a tip. If you get a lizard don't get an iguana unless you want to eventually invest in a much larger aquarium. I had one that my mom took when I got married and it lived 14 years. The aquarium we ended up needing to house it was 2ft X 2ft X 6 ft and then we had to build a shelf around the top of the room for her to hang out on. She didn't do much in the aquarium but go to the bathroom and come down into there to eat her bowl of food. Which can't be just lettuce like many think. They should have things like collard greens or mustard greens as their man staple and then like yellow squash with it, and some fruit from time to time for a treat. I don't want to turn you off to them but they do require a real commitment and live much longer than many think.

If we ever got a reptile again I'd most likely go with some sort of newt, or anole.

That would be a good size for a bearded dragon. They make great pets.

Bearded dragons are on the short list. We're also thinking about turtles of some sort. I'd love a ball python, but I'm the only one in the family who wants a snake. We were looking at Greek Tortoises, but I did some reading last night and learned that aquariums are not good habitats for them.

The one thing about bearded dragons is that they apparently need to be fed 3 times a day, at least when they're young, and I'm not so sure my dad would want to deal with that when we go out of town and he takes care of our animals for us!

I can give you a tip. If you get a lizard don't get an iguana unless you want to eventually invest in a much larger aquarium. I had one that my mom took when I got married and it lived 14 years. The aquarium we ended up needing to house it was 2ft X 2ft X 6 ft and then we had to build a shelf around the top of the room for her to hang out on.

I don't think pet shops should even sell iguanas - they look like great pets, but people don't realize how BIG they get and how much space they need in order to be healthy and happy. I love them, but I know we don't have the space to dedicate to raising one.

You could have a way kewl crabitat with 55 gallons.

There are quite a few Web sites for hermit crab folks: Hermitcrabs.com, Landhermitcrabs (you'll have to become a member), Crabbage Patch, and Hermit Crab Paradise, to name a few. Landhermit Crabs was the most helpful for me for learning about general care.

Hermit crabs have specific requirements for living and eating, but those requirements are not difficult or expensive.

I don't think pet shops should even sell iguanas - they look like great pets, but people don't realize how BIG they get and how much space they need in order to be healthy and happy. I love them, but I know we don't have the space to dedicate to raising one.

:iagree:

I did a lot of research on them and decided I would be ok with all she required, but many out there don't and for that reason I don't think they should sell them anymore. We really loved her, we even went as far as to have an operation done which cost us $400 because she got sick and turned out to be egg bound. If she didn't have the operation she would have died. It wasn't easy for me to come up with the money as I was only 19 at the time, but I did and she lived for 9 years after that. My mom sure got attached when I had to leave her with my mom. They were best buds:001_smile:

Bearded dragons are on the short list. We're also thinking about turtles of some sort. I'd love a ball python, but I'm the only one in the family who wants a snake. We were looking at Greek Tortoises, but I did some reading last night and learned that aquariums are not good habitats for them.

The one thing about bearded dragons is that they apparently need to be fed 3 times a day, at least when they're young, and I'm not so sure my dad would want to deal with that when we go out of town and he takes care of our animals for us!

Well... I was going to suggest a ball python. We had a corn snake (it was mine...I love reptiles!) and I loved it. Had to get rid of it due to moving. Next I am hoping for a bearded dragon or a ball python. I am green with envy that you may get one!

I don't know a lot about the bearded dragon, but with the snake you could leave it for a week without feeding it. Course, the water would need to be changed before that time. Your Dad could easily do that.

Also, what about a box turtle? They are pretty easy to care for and don't require a tank full of water to live.

I think beardies make great pets!

ry%3D320

This is Drako our first BD. He belongs to my oldest dd--he will be 5 yrs old next month. DD will be 18 but still LOVES to dress this guy up!

He usually sits on her lap as she does her school work. God did not make these guys to run--they rather just sit. They also love to watch TV.

Look for a reputable breeder--in other words DO NOT Purchase from a pet store. Drako is a beautiful orange color--and he was CHEEPER than the inbred pet shop BDs.

Look for BDs that are 3-6months old--to save you from the bottomless pit of a tummy the babies have.

Ordering crickets online is not as bad as it sounds--we NEVER had one escape and they were 'food' before they were old enough to cherp. BDs eat 80% vegetables when they are adults.

I now raise silkworms for food. They are easy and it is pretty fun to watch their life cycle.

BDs usually LOVE to be handled. We have leashes for ours 'just in case' when they go out in public. (Yes we have 2 BDs--the other is a 'rescue' and she is at least 8 years old--not as pretty as Drako but she is still sweet!).

If we go with the bearded dragon, should we buy 2? I'm not sure if they're happy alone, or if they prefer to have a companion.

Thanks for the advice about avoiding pet shops - we were going to buy them at our local pet store (not a chain) - I'll find out where she gets them, and I'll also look into local breeders.

Back in the day, dh lived with a guy who had a rockin' terrarium. He had different frogs (that got along w/each other!), plants, small lizards (geckos, salamanders, etc). One side was watery w/a waterfall and one was dirt with plants. He tried for an Amazon rain forest sort of thing. His terrarium was a bit bigger, but he had several creatures roaming in there. I have no idea where to send you for any of this info, other than googling it and questioning your local pet store personnel, but with kids, it would be a really cool science experiment.

Hope this is helpful.

Occasionaly they get along...but it is not worth the risk (they have a tendancy to sample their friend's tail and limbs). Also--they are difficult to sex when young--and you may end up with a male and a female that are related--line breeding is bad--and the resulting babies--if they survive --are much more prone to serious health problems.

Drako is just as happy as can be perched upon my dd's legs...or sitting in her window.

We have 2 beardies--but each has their own 75 gallon tank.

I made a 'rock wall' so he can regulate his body temp. It was pretty easy to do.

I also made my own wood-and-wire-mesh top. Start looking around for heavy wire mesh tank tops to fit your tank that you can put your UV and basking lights on (make sure they give you adequate access to the inside).

We use Duck Brand shelf liner (non-adhesive without 'holes') for a substrate (tank bottom). It is easy to clean. DD keeps and extra matching piece on the side where he 'poos'. This way she can quickly take it out and wash it after the deed.

Once beardies are 1 yr old it is safe to give them a sandbox. We usually place the sandbox under their cave--they love to snuggle in the sand when they sleep and brumate (lizard hibernation in winter months).

That would be a good size for a bearded dragon. They make great pets.

:iagree: If you want to handle then these are the best rep pets. If you don't care about handling and just want to watch. Leopard Geckos are wonderful. We have 3. You could do more in a 55 gallon tank. They are super easy to care for and beautiful. They don't like to be handled a bunch though.

Picture124.jpg

:iagree: If you want to handle then these are the best rep pets. If you don't care about handling and just want to watch. Leopard Geckos are wonderful. We have 3. You could do more in a 55 gallon tank. They are super easy to care for and beautiful. They don't like to be handled a bunch though.

This gives me something to think about. We have a pug who is ALWAYS in our laps, and I'm not sure she's going to take kindly to another animal stealing our attention/affection. Of course we'd have to lock her in the kitchen every time we took any sort of reptile out to handle it. As much as I would love a reptile to hold, who would just sort of hang out on me while I'm on the computer and such, it may not be practical. This is why we're taking our time on this one, and not rushing into anything.

We have corn snakes and they are very easy to take care of. You don't have to feed live mice; you can thaw out some frozen ones. They are less of a problem in terms of being fussy eaters than a lot of other snakes. They don't get too big and some of the colors are really beautiful. They are known for gentle temperaments (though we had one who was an exception and we took it back. It was clear when we first saw it that it had a non-cornsnake like temperament, but the breeder told us it was just because the snake was disturbed at all the hullabaloo at the reptile show. Not. So what you see is what you get.) We put a dog dish in the cage with water and there is room underneath for the snakes to curl up,so there isn't even need for another box or something.

We have corn snakes and they are very easy to take care of. You don't have to feed live mice; you can thaw out some frozen ones. They are less of a problem in terms of being fussy eaters than a lot of other snakes. They don't get too big and some of the colors are really beautiful. They are known for gentle temperaments (though we had one who was an exception and we took it back. It was clear when we first saw it that it had a non-cornsnake like temperament, but the breeder told us it was just because the snake was disturbed at all the hullabaloo at the reptile show. Not. So what you see is what you get.) We put a dog dish in the cage with water and there is room underneath for the snakes to curl up,so there isn't even need for another box or something.

Do you handle them a lot? I was thinking about ball pythons b/c they tend to be more gentle when being handled. My son loves the albino corn snakes, but they're so TINY at the pet store, they'd just disappear in this huge aquarium! I will look and see how big they get if kept in a large tank.

Do you handle them a lot? I was thinking about ball pythons b/c they tend to be more gentle when being handled. My son loves the albino corn snakes, but they're so TINY at the pet store, they'd just disappear in this huge aquarium! I will look and see how big they get if kept in a large tank.

My corn was not very gentle. He would try to strike whenever I got him out. He calmed down once we were holding him though. I know that is not very common. They are overall pretty gentle. His coloring was very light...not albino but "ghost"...almost silvery with a touch of light pink. Very beautiful.

All of the ball pythons I have handled were very docile.