Menu

Give me permission

Carrie12345

What's there to plan? What were you doing before?

I like to use book lists for inspiration, but other than that I haven't planned. I let my kids pick some books and I pick others. Some we read together. Some are read aloud. Some are just read for fun. A few we talk about. That's been it.

:iagree:

And some we will end up skipping completely for time's sake. The only lit. we have planned are the 2 lit. guides that DS will be doing. All the rest is just supplementary and we will wing it.

:D

I didn't have any grand plans in mind, but I did fully intend to schedule a few books to coincide with history and pick X number of books to divvy up across the year. You know, because this was going to be The Most Organized Year Yet. :lol:

After coordinating multiple History and Language Arts resources, I'm just way too burnt out to deal with it.

My plan for literature is to read good books, narrate, and talk about literary devices as they pop up.

I printed out a page of narration ideas from SCM and Googled a list of literary devices (so I can keep track of what we discuss).

Maybe it's time (horror!) for a textbook, so you could just do the next thing. We used Galore Park English. Each chapter begins with analysis of two or three passages from (real) books: poetry and prose. The rest of the chapter (writing topics, vocab, spelling, speaking topics, etc.) relates to the passages. Then at the end of the chapter there are ideas for extra reading, which you can use or ignore.

The GP English books run from age 7 to age 14. Ask me if you need more information on buying or using them.

Laura

I just made a list of books I want to get to and we pick from the list as we finish one. It's a short list, only twenty books and so far we are doing a book in about a week, so when we get through it I'll come up with more.

Sounds like a great plan! I do similar, picking books that go with whatever is interesting or going on in our world. Then find activites and comprehension strategies to go with them!