Menu

Selling home little stuff worth it?

We had a Realtor visit. He told us to replace the (admittedly dated) pulls on the cabinets (33 pulls so around $100 I expect), replace the floor vents (they are clean but he said nickel or similar would be better), replace all the light switch plates and switches (they are those tan things that are sort of standard I think--not bad just dated again), replace most of the light fixtures (all except the ones we've updated), replace the door knobs because they are that brass stuff, etc.

Are these little things truly worth it? This home is 1960's. The countertop is dated but he said leave it and etc. So it's not all going to be shiny and new.

I personally would say it depends. What type of a house is it? Has most of the house been brought to this century? Also what type of decor/feel does the house have?

We live in a cabin, we have recently painted the walls a color similar to eggshell -- so those tan wall switches/covers match the wall perfect. The entire house is bronze hardware and our trim is dark walnut, but the house doesn't seem dated because it matches the decor of the house (that kitchen sink on the other hand :)). I would strongly suggest you post photos of some of your fixtures and wall outlets/room decor to get general public opinion, its possible your realtor is seeing a real need or they might be giving you "general" advice that doesn't always apply to every house.

But definitely replace/fix anything broken and make sure the fixtures match throughout... If you've redone half the house, than certainly go ahead and finish the rest!

Spray paint the register returns. You might be able to do the same with the drawer pulls. Wallpaper must go. Light switches you can paint to match the wall color, but I would replace the ones on the main floor and first impression areas for certain. It is in the details that impressions are made.

Yes. I would do it. 8 years ago, we had our condo on the market for a few months and it didn't sell. We took it off the market, I made changes, one of which was all new pulls in the kitchen. Made a huge difference. Had much more interest and an eventual offer. Lots of people just want to move in without having to update things themselves. If you do it for them, it makes it that much easier for them to see themselves just moving right in.