Menu

Science advice needed

Well for my similar (not exactly the same, but similar) dd rising 8th, I've decided to do all the labs from a couple good physical science books and hang the rest. Cost a pretty penny for the lab equipment, but it's all reusable then into high school.

The TOPs books are really great, but my dd just won't bite. I really don't understand why, because they're clearly laid out, investigation-driven, very hands-on. I have no clue what the problem is.

Exploration Education has kits with a cd of computerized lessons, and there's Plato online lessons for science I think. It's a direction I decided not to go, because I figured it would be in one eyeball and out the other for my dd, but I might be wrong.

The sleeper idea that I figured out too late is the Biology 101, Chem 101, etc. sequence of dvds. Timberdoodle sells them. You could do Biology 101 and all the labs from a good life science course, then Chem 101 along with physical science labs, etc. We got the Chem 101, and what is particularly good about it is the way he goes into the narratives and history. If you have a dc who learns well when it's in a narrative, well there you go, science connecting with history. For my kid, if you can throw some history in with it, suddenly the thing is relevant and interesting. :)

LoriD has had a lot of good posts that will help you. Just do an advanced search and search for her posts using the term science, maybe limiting it to specific boards.

What would you recommend for a hands-on, struggling learner (severe dyslexia, dyscalculia and adhd, just to name a few) who will be entering the 7th grade without much formal exposure to science?

Thanks! :)

My kids did not do any formal science courses until they were in high school, and yet they both did just fine. The youngest in fact is planning on majoring in physics. Just because we didn't do formal science doesn't mean they weren't exposed to science -- there was science in everything we did.

How does your student do with audio books? There are lots of terrific popular science books on audio which my kids really enjoyed at that age. The best is Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything as it covers almost literally, everything basic you need to know about science and its history in an easy going, understandable manner.

How about absorbing knowledge through good television? NOVA from PBS was a staple, both the current shows and dvds we'd find in the library. They loved Mythbusters and anything else science related and through all these shows they gleaned lots of basic science. Browse Netflix, browse your library shelves -- there is a lot to choose from.

Gems kits and Tops kits are great, but there are wonderful opportunities to engage in real science through Nature Studies. It isn't just for kindergarden -- there is real science to be done in your own back yard and neighborhood. I strongly suggest you check out Project Feeder Watch. We've participated for years and they have a terrific free downloadable curriculum guide for homeschoolers. Bird watching IS science -- observing, quantifying, recording, categorizing. Gardening is science, too. Dissect seeds, look at bugs and leaves under a magnifying glass, record what you see, draw what you see.

There are other projects you can do other than counting birds in your back yard:Join the Citizen Science Brigade You can search the stars, you can study honey bees -- who knows what else.

Search the internet for kid-friendly science sites -- there are many! Brain Pop for instance has little science videos. Look for nature walks in your area and astronomy clubs that might have telescopes set up for the public to view.

Don't worry about preparing for high school science, focus instead on the exploration and wonder of the world around you. Science doesn't need to be limited by learning challenges -- it can and should be something separate that is a fun part of life.

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas, many are new to me.

MythBusters is always a fun treat. But do you review/add/research the topics? :bigear:

It’s easy to get caught up in the guilt of not doing what I perceive as normal Jr. High level work. The stress is wearing me out before we even get the school year under way. Not a healthy mindset, I know.

This forum is such a blessing.

I'd stay away from textbooks for junior high, and here's why: studies have shown that comprehension in non-fiction reading depends 30x more on prior knowledge/experience and engagement than it does on the reading level of the text. That means the more you can prime your child with hands-on experiences that he is interested in and retains, the more you can get him doing and seeing and building, the better off he'll be if and when you do choose to work from textbook programs later in high school.

What an eye opener! It's like you lifted a weight off my shoulders. :)

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas, many are new to me.

MythBusters is always a fun treat. But do you review/add/research the topics? :bigear:

It’s easy to get caught up in the guilt of not doing what I perceive as normal Jr. High level work. The stress is wearing me out before we even get the school year under way. Not a healthy mindset, I know.

This forum is such a blessing.

You really don't have to turn everything into school. Just let them enjoy the Mythbusters, mercy. :lol:

As for normal level of work for a grade, well I've gotta tell you I've seen such a spread of levels in the textbooks I've ordered (and I have a lot on my shelves), that I've totally BURST MY BUBBLE on that whole issue. In fact, almost invariably it seems like moms on the high school board have kids go off to school only to realize they had their kids doing at home 2-3 times the amount of work the schools require for the same grade.

So don't build it up more than it is. There are skills, content, and experience. Experience can be gotten lots of ways. (Think of some: doing kits, formal labs, watching Mythbusters, etc.) Content can be gotten lots of ways. (reading textbooks, reading informative fiction, watching documentaries, etc.) Skills can, happily enough, be gotten a lot of ways. (outline and slog through a textbook, outline something the dc actually likes, give up outlining and just read read read and discuss and generate your own venn diagrams and outlines and mindmaps as you analyze the subjects) Don't pin yourself in too far. If you know exactly what of that you're trying to accomplish, then you can flex and decide to accomplish it a DIFFERENT way.

I'm not thoroughly convinced that a dc who holes up with a textbook and outlines and answers questions and studies for little bookworm tests is going to come out better in the end than a dc who explores, asks lots of questions, reads broadly on the same topics, does labs, and pokes. There's a point where the textbook skills can't make up for lack of experiences, kwim? And there's a sense in which textbook skills come more readily with age. (I think we ALL handle a textbook now better than we did at age 12, mercy.) So to me EXPERIENCE is the limiting reagent. It's what holds back a kid from understanding the theoretical stuff he's reading in a text and finding it relevant and engaging.

Why I'm off on that tangent is BEYOND ME, sorry. Anyways, that's your sermon for the night. :D

BTW, I don't know where you live in Ohio, but in the spring there will be the Cincy convention. It's definitely worth going to, and we usually have a board get-together. It usually starts getting discussed on the general board a month or so before the convention. :)

I agree with hands on experience, even if it is exploring a park or backyard, to start. Start small and you will build your confidence and ideas to expand your science learning. Pick up a simple experiment book to start off, as well. Make it fun and meaningful! I am thinking of getting Science studies weekly to have a scope and sequence, and expanding off their weekly topics. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
Well for my similar (not exactly the same, but similar) dd rising 8th, I've decided to do all the labs from a couple good physical science books and hang the rest. Cost a pretty penny for the lab equipment, but it's all reusable then into high school.

The TOPs books are really great, but my dd just won't bite. I really don't understand why, because they're clearly laid out, investigation-driven, very hands-on. I have no clue what the problem is.

The sleeper idea that I figured out too late is the Biology 101, Chem 101, etc. sequence of dvds. Timberdoodle sells them. You could do Biology 101 and all the labs from a good life science course, then Chem 101 along with physical science labs, etc. We got the Chem 101, and what is particularly good about it is the way he goes into the narratives and history. If you have a dc who learns well when it's in a narrative, well there you go, science connecting with history. For my kid, if you can throw some history in with it, suddenly the thing is relevant and interesting. :)

OhElizabeth, My dd is very similar to what you have said. I thought TOPS would be great as well (hands-on, straight forward) but she just didn't relate to them. I am also considering BIO 101 and Chem 101. My dd loves history and narratives so that's why I thought they might be good. If I could ask, where did you get your lab equipment?

Thanks.

You really don't have to turn everything into school. Just let them enjoy the Mythbusters, mercy. :lol:

As for normal level of work for a grade, well I've gotta tell you I've seen such a spread of levels in the textbooks I've ordered (and I have a lot on my shelves), that I've totally BURST MY BUBBLE on that whole issue. In fact, almost invariably it seems like moms on the high school board have kids go off to school only to realize they had their kids doing at home 2-3 times the amount of work the schools require for the same grade.

So don't build it up more than it is. There are skills, content, and experience. Experience can be gotten lots of ways. (Think of some: doing kits, formal labs, watching Mythbusters, etc.) Content can be gotten lots of ways. (reading textbooks, reading informative fiction, watching documentaries, etc.) Skills can, happily enough, be gotten a lot of ways. (outline and slog through a textbook, outline something the dc actually likes, give up outlining and just read read read and discuss and generate your own venn diagrams and outlines and mindmaps as you analyze the subjects) Don't pin yourself in too far. If you know exactly what of that you're trying to accomplish, then you can flex and decide to accomplish it a DIFFERENT way.

I'm not thoroughly convinced that a dc who holes up with a textbook and outlines and answers questions and studies for little bookworm tests is going to come out better in the end than a dc who explores, asks lots of questions, reads broadly on the same topics, does labs, and pokes. There's a point where the textbook skills can't make up for lack of experiences, kwim? And there's a sense in which textbook skills come more readily with age. (I think we ALL handle a textbook now better than we did at age 12, mercy.) So to me EXPERIENCE is the limiting reagent. It's what holds back a kid from understanding the theoretical stuff he's reading in a text and finding it relevant and engaging.

Why I'm off on that tangent is BEYOND ME, sorry. Anyways, that's your sermon for the night. :D

I LOVED this. Thanks for reminding us of why and how we homeschool, so that our children can learn in a way that works for them. :001_smile:

Edited by kareng

OhElizabeth, My dd is very similar to what you have said. I thought TOPS would be great as well (hands-on, straight forward) but she just didn't relate to them. I am also considering BIO 101 and Chem 101. My dd loves history and narratives so that's why I thought they might be good. If I could ask, where did you get your lab equipment?

Thanks.

I bought my lab equipment through Home Science Tools. It seemed extravagant at the time to buy new like that, but I felt like if I bought on ebay I was going to end up with some hodgepodge set and spend more in the end. This way I could get exactly what the labs called for and know I had it. Julie in KY I think on the hs boards here had a number of reviews of products on Home Science Tools, so pretty much I bought whatever she said to buy there, lol. They ended up having everything I needed, and the stuff was packaged beautifully, with no shipping. So while it cost me, it was at least painless. On ebay the sellers were talking about refunds for breakage, blah blah. I didn't have to deal with any of that with HST. It came and it was all great, very happy with everything I bought. :)

What would you recommend for a hands-on, struggling learner (severe dyslexia, dyscalculia and adhd, just to name a few) who will be entering the 7th grade without much formal exposure to science?

Thanks! :)

You may want to consider what course of study to follow. The Gems units look very good. Do you want to study life science, chemistry, physical sciences, or earth sciences?

Unlike the pps, I use a simple text as spine and supplement heavily. No tests or cramming or anything like that. Sitting in a 6th grade science classroom positively wrecked my son's love of science. I'm slowly trying to get the love back, and DS is coming along. He reluctantly tells me that he enjoys science.

So far, my 7th grader is studying life science, and we have performed a few labs from the CPO Life Science Investigations manual which is free online, and labs from Janice Van Cleave. I've basically done as OhE and purchased materials such as a high school appropriate, LED microscope and parts required for the labs.

So far, we've completed a clover growth experiment, observed onion skin, pond water, osmosis/diffusion, and examined premade white fish/onion tip mitosis slides. DS presented a ppt presentation of mitosis to his father last week.

We will be using the Sciencewiz DNA kit in a few weeks, building a DNA model and extracting DNA from fruit. We have some owl pellets to dissect. We will cover human body systems and shift gears to physical science. DS wants to perform some backyard ballistics, and I'm planning to teach DS basic DC circuits.

Ellen McHenry website has freebies, and we use The Biology Corner.

ETA: We regularly watch Myth Busters, How Things Are Made, and many PBS science shows. We also go on field trips.

Edited by Heathermomster

This may not work well for the OP, but we just did get in a couple of texts in the older Globe Fearon series for Life Science, Earth Science and Physical Science. For the little more advanced yet still special needs kid, this is PERFECT. It is not dumbed down yet has a lower language level and tons and tons of really terrific illustrations to make points wonderfully clear. It does a terrific job of summarizing main points for you within the text, has a lot of hands on labs associated with it without being overly difficult or costly (you will have to purchase some lab equipment, but it doesn't look awful). I actually thought upon reading this that THIS was more the way even non-special needs kids should learn science. It says it is for 6th-12th grade, and of course much is dependent upon the level of each learner.

Cindy

Heathermomster, if you see this could you please tell me more about your plan for backyard ballistics? :bigear:

Our plans aren't 100% solid yet. I promised DS that we would make a potato gun for sure and picked up the book Backyard Ballistics by Gurstelle. I am hoping to do this in the spring.

I forgot to mention that as cooler weather approaches, DH takes the kids to shoot rockets. As the weather cools, the atmosphere is better for using a telescope as well.