Menu

Anyone else starting back tomorrow?

ByGrace3

I planned and organized like a crazy person this weekend and we are ready to go tomorrow! Well, I should say I am, dd and ds are not excited, or at least they say they are not. Ds insists he is NOT doing kindergarten. :rolleyes: I am hoping he has a fantastic day and changes his mind! :lol: After a crazy summer I am very ready for some structure!

Anyone else starting back tomorrow? Planning anything special or fun?

I was wanting to start tomorrow but I don't have my "School cabinet" finished painting yet.. I suppose it is silly of me to want it all set up and pretty before we start. I do want to make the first day fun for them.. SO IDK. My boys bdays are next week. Might wait until then?!

We are starting back tomorrow. I don't feel completely ready, but it will be good to get back into a routine.

I have a scavenger hunt planned for my dds, which will lead them to some new school supplies and a couple of educational games. We will also go out for lunch with my dh, which is our first day of school tradition.

Have a great day!

Tomorrow is our first day of 2nd grade. The boys are... not excited, but not upset either. (resigned?) We also start up swim again, so at least there is excitement happening on some level! I'm very ready. I need more structure to our days, and this should take care of at least some of the "Can I play the Wii?" questions I've been getting every 10 minutes or so since June. :glare:

We're not starting fully until the first week of September, but we're starting Math tomorrow! I had them each pick one subject (out of the two or three that I have ready for each of them :tongue_smilie:) and they all chose Math. :)

We are!! :seeya:

I'm really ready for some structure... that seems to be a common theme, LOL. DS is not over the moon about it, but he seems ready as well.

I printed and organized math and LA binders yesterday. We're doing Math Mammoth this year so it was a different set up for us... I think we're good there, though.

Oh, and holy COW I hear you about getting the focus off electronics. :rolleyes: Seriously, it's been making me insane.

Good luck in the morning, everyone!! We'll have to do a thread about our first day.

We are. We are going to liturgy at 7am and then going out for breakfast. I got them each an art sticker book instead of our usual school supplies basket. I hope they like it and aren't disappointed.

I am looking forward to the return to structure, too. We do really well as a family when we have our days planned out consistently.

We are starting today as well!! This morning is the cleanest my classroom will ever be so right now I'm enjoying that! My kids have actually been SUPER excited and counting down the days! (Well, my girls have been) My ds said the other day, "I'm going to be in 1st grade in a few days?!" :O

He said with pure amazement! I will have to update our blog with pictures today, sometime!

Have a great 1st day back!!

We are starting today as well!! This morning is the cleanest my classroom will ever be so right now I'm enjoying that! My kids have actually been SUPER excited and counting down the days! (Well, my girls have been) My ds said the other day, "I'm going to be in 1st grade in a few days?!" :O

He said with pure amazement! I will have to update our blog with pictures today, sometime!

Love it! My school room is certainly cleaner than it will be this afternoon! :lol: I think dd is nervous. Last night she asked "what is second grade?" the conversation led to some discussion about work load. After I had convinced her second grade picks up right where first grade finished, she seemed a little better. she then asked, "so it's going to be easy peasy?" :tongue_smilie::lol:

Happy schooling today everyone! :)

We didn't "truly start" today but we did go running at the Public High School Track... I made sure to use my monotone boring voice and did my "welcome to PE..you will dress out three days a week and have health education classes the other two days of the week. Make sure you are prepared..". Then took off running around the track while giggling.. PS started today and teenagers were staring at our kids on the field playing. I am sure they were wondering what we were doing. There were SO many FB status updates today.. I almost stated my genius kids attended high school today..... but decided to refrain ;)

How is everyone's days going? Girls start back gymnastics today, boys are taking a library book with them.. so PE and Reading for the day.. probably more than most kids did today in PS! haha

We are finishing up for the day! I thought I'd keep it light the first week, but we still managed to do math, reading, history, and spelling. The history was a hit... my son took one of the books I was going to use through the year, a snippet here and there... and read the whole thing! Hmm, that might need beefing up, LOL!!

Later we'll probably go to the library... and yes, it was certainly much more than would have been done in the classroom!! ;)

:lol: This is us. Everything is beautifully organized; I only wish it could stay that way. My kids were super-excited to start this morning and everything went smoothly, which is no small feat with a baby and a toddler. We've been on a long break since the baby was born, so we're all happy to have some routine and structure back in our lives.

We started today. Officially, we homeschool through the summer, but with an extra vacation this summer we haven't done much. Today is our first full day of school since June and it has been slow going. The boys need to redevelop some focus. That'll come with time. I'm crossing a few subjects off our list today and trying to keep it fun. My preschooler has done amazing with his new MFW preschool set and task cards. I highly recommend them to anyone with a 4yo who wants to be included. Even my 1yo sat quietly playing with pegs for 20 mins.

No, we're not starting back tomorrow, but I did threaten that it would!

Swimming lessons (the last of our planned summer activities) ended 4 days ago, and dd5 and I don't do well when we don't have a plan for what will be done.

Oh, and electronics. I have warned that, "Spongebob's days are numbered!!!"

Maybe next year I'll plan return to school sooner than when the public schools start up.

Reality came calling today! We actually did fine for the school work part of our day, but then the lack of summer discipline reared its ugly head and ruined the afternoon. Ugh, back to the world of consistency! :tongue_smilie:

I blogged about our first day if anyone is interested. :001_smile:

We started today but I only have one project a week scheduled for the first two weeks. I wanted to ease into it and do some fun things. This week we are doing a Olympics unit study/lapbook. I had wanted to start last week but everyone wasn't ready. Next week we are doing some fun anatomy using Magic School Bus. Then we will go full swing on the 20th.

I have to say dd was fantastic but ds well he's still throwing his fit and dd has long finished. It was literally about 30 minutes worth of work.

We never quit...we just graduate certain subjects earlier than others. I am ahead for 3rd grade year...this helps when lots of field trips come up and it's hard to get the basics of school done everyday. :)

We take a day or two off every week depending on the activities in the summer.

:iagree: dh and I were unanimously in favor of no more summers like this one. We need more structure.

I definatly agree! We had started summer schooling but then my grandmother fell ill and we thought we'd lose her. So we went home for two weeks and when we returned dh started vacation. Needless to say everyone has become very lazy and unwilling to do whats needed. I cannot wait to be full swing into the school year for some structure. I would have us full swing in if we didn't live in a extremely busy neighborhood with kids everywhere. I think we will follow the school year but there will be a summer project and reading requirement.

We started back today, but not really full-force. We had a dentist appointment this morning and a social affair this afternoon and I'm still waiting on a few curriculum pieces in the mail. But, we did math, spelling, & history today. I plan on spending at least 2-3 hrs a day even though many kids are still on summer break and there are lots of distractions, and I have an agreement with the kids that I won't let school get in the way of any social opportunity with neighbors & friends still on summer break...

But I just couldn't continue with doing *nothing*. They were one month at resident camp, and then came home - a couple weeks of hanging around and being useless was fine, but that's enough. Time to get back to learning. :)

Just to update: we had a good day today. A little whining and sighing, but no tears and no meltdowns. And the kids did great, too!:tongue_smilie:

I'm so glad I printed everything out. I hadn't filled their weekly folders, but it took no time at all to pull out the papers.

DD6 is officially in first grade, so she had a few more expectations. Yes, you will listen to civics (US president study). Yes, you will listen to history. Yes, you will read an excerpt from your book. Last year she only did reading, writing, and mathematics so the additional listening required made her unhappy.

DS9 did a fantastic job. He whined a bit about writing which isn't surprising as I haven't required much output from him over our break. However, he settled in and did his work with minimal complaint. I can't ask for more.

We had our first day of Pre-K. I'm calling it pre-K but really doing kindergarten level materials with my oldest who is almost five. This is our trial year for homeschooling so I'm trying to take it somewhat seriously (knowing that it's still basically kindergarten). It went well except for some meltdowns during coloring time and playing with cuseinnaire rods. We also went to the library and the park so it was a great day.

Our day 1 is in the bag... I'm not a daily blogger, but I'm trying to be much better about doing a weekly entry this year. Last year was a total wash, and now looking back I wish I had spent more time writing out my thoughts on everything. Especially while DH was deployed. *sigh* Hopefully learned my lesson! I went ahead and made a first day of 2nd grade post. Enjoy :)

http://ourparticularharbour.blogspot.com/

This is the first year we have not just started school with an official "first day." Rather, I am ready to start giving them some structure but they are not really ready to start yet, so I am easing them into it. Starting a little this week with math review and notebook set-up, grammar and writing next week, and then full-on school the following week. So, in a sense, we started school today.

We started our first "official" school day today - pre-school and junior kindergarten for my boys. We've been doing phonics for the last few months, but I added some calendar stuff and a more structured Bible time. They each got some new pencils, a binder and a plastic lap desk to celebrate. My main goals for the year are to get my oldest reading and my middle to know his letter sounds and start learning the Syllabary.

Regards,

C.

We need more structure.

Us too. I think next summer we'll take a couple weeks' full break, do a summer session with very short days, then a couple week's full break. Really, that's enough for us.

Just to update: we had a good day today. A little whining and sighing, but no tears and no meltdowns. And the kids did great, too!:tongue_smilie:

:lol: We had the same success, LOL. But I didn't try to start until the coffee was in hand!! :D

We started yesterday and I didn't do anything special at all. I sort of had us slide into it since we're covering 9 subjects in some form or fashion during the week. So technically, we started at the beginning of July, but yesterday was our first full day of full lessons. Also, I didn't do any record-keeping over the summer, so that changed yesterday, also. But we didn't do anything special or fun; I wanted to make as little a deal of it as possible, actually. I'm trying to blur the lines bewteen "learning" and daily life. I got so much of the opposite attitude growing up that I guess I'm rebelling a little. Anyway, good luck to all on this new year, no matter when it starts! Hope it goes as smoothly as possible for everyone.

We started back yesterday too. We're easing back into school during the month of August. Just doing reading, writing, and arithmetic right now. We're moving at the end of the month, so I don't really want to get into much more than that until after we're settled, but I also wanted us to get started because I like to build in lots of breaks and vacations.

Yesterday went well. The 1 hour of work that I had planned took 2 1/2 hours, but I expected that. My daughter is a slow-poke. She can't seem to understand that if she'd just do the work and stay on task she'd be finished in no time and be able to go play.

We started back yesterday as well. We're easing into things since we're leaving the country the end of August. Just sticking to reading, handwriting, and math review right now.

Yesterday went pretty well. We got through the 1 hour worth of work that I planned in 2 1/2 hours, but I was expecting that. My dd is such a slow poke. She stays on track, mostly, but she is meticulous to a fault. She must have erased her handwriting 10 times before she was satisfied!