Menu

Making "boiled" eggs in the oven

Today I tried something that's been going around pinterest for a while- making "boiled" eggs in the oven.

I put them (still in their shells) in a mini muffin tin in a preheated 350 F oven, baked for 30 minutes, and then used tongs to transfer to a bowl of ice & water.

They are delicious. Perfect. No annoying watching the water so they don't accidentally overcook and end up with that awful green ring, and not undercooked either.

It did take longer, but way less attention. I don't think I'll ever boil eggs the regular way again.

Anybody else have any surprising ways to cook something the easy way?

Today I tried something that's been going around pinterest for a while- making "boiled" eggs in the oven.

I put them (still in their shells) in a mini muffin tin in a preheated 350 F oven, baked for 30 minutes, and then used tongs to transfer to a bowl of ice & water.

They are delicious. Perfect. No annoying watching the water so they don't accidentally overcook and end up with that awful green ring, and not undercooked either.

It did take longer, but way less attention. I don't think I'll ever boil eggs the regular way again.

Anybody else have any surprising ways to cook something the easy way?

Do you put any water in the muffin tins with the eggs? I've seen eggs without shells cooked in muffin tins for egg sandwiches, but haven't seen it done with the shells.

For the eggs without shells, you can add some greens if you want, then refrigerate the leftovers for egg sandwiches during the week. I haven't done it yet, but I saw it on Facebook and keep meaning to try it.

Chocolate- what a great idea!

Nope, no water in the tins. I used a silicone muffin pan, haven't tried it with a metal one, but no one on pinterest has mentioned problems with a metal one.

If you don't let the eggs get to room temperature first, the drops of condensation form little brown spots on the egg shells. The brown spots came off when I soaked them in the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking though, so I wasn't worried. I suppose if you were going to make perfect ones for easter decorating you might want to let them sit on the counter for an hour or two to come to room temperature first.

I have heard of this, but I find it strange. It seems like a lot of time/heat/energy just for boiled eggs since they are so fast in a pot.

But overcooked ones are pretty gross.

We eat a lot of eggs and I actually have an electric egg cooker

How many does that make at once?

I have heard of this, but I find it strange. It seems like a lot of time/heat/energy just for boiled eggs since they are so fast in a pot.

Yes, but to make them perfectly you really need to stand over them and watch them or they get overcooked and get that awful green ring from the sulfur in them. I either don't have the patience for that or the attention span. Putting them in the oven is so easy, I just have to come back when the timer goes off and they turned out perfect.

If you have more self-discipline than me or don't care about green overcooked eggs, you're probably right.

Yes, but to make them perfectly you really need to stand over them and watch them or they get overcooked and get that awful green ring from the sulfur in them. I either don't have the patience for that or the attention span. Putting them in the oven is so easy, I just have to come back when the timer goes off and they turned out perfect.

If you have more self-discipline than me or don't care about green overcooked eggs, you're probably right.

I do think green rings are gross. I don't have anything against it I was just thinking of the oven on so long just for eggs.

Thanks. I grew up with soft boiled eggs many mornings per week. I haven't had them in a long time as they aren't as popular in the States.

Now I want one!

Mine makes 7. It is THIS ONE as recommended by Cooks Illustrated :D

I'm really not a gadget collector but I use this every single day. DH likes soft boiled eggs eaten in an egg cup, and I always mess them up on the stove.

Thanks. I grew up with soft boiled eggs many mornings per week. I haven't had them in a long time as they aren't as popular in the States.

Now I want one!

I LOVE soft boiled. I never ate them until I met DH. He always grew up eating them in those little egg cups. I love that it is so easy to make them. None of us seem to care for cold eggs much. And this one has an actual buzzer when it's done.

Good to know.

I had many egg cups, even ones with little knitted caps to keep them warm.

Man you are bringing back the memories!

I LOVE soft boiled. I never ate them until I met DH. He always grew up eating them in those little egg cups. I love that it is so easy to make them. None of us seem to care for cold eggs much. And this one has an actual buzzer when it's done.

This reminded me. One day I came home from the Polish store with a little tin of tea. I usually buy it in bulk and then transfer to this vacuum sealed thing. I thought he would cry! He yelled "spit tea!" Apparently MIL used to buy the same exact tin and often not strain well enough. It was cute! He has the tin in his office.

I love those little egg cups. I have some Polish Pottery ones. It's kind of a big episode JUST for one little egg but there's just something about it :D

I am so glad to see this! I pinned this several months ago but have been too chicken to try it.

SO COOL!!!!! Thank you!

My own easy cooking method is for artichokes. Chop off the top 1/4, trim the stem, rinse under cold water, wrap in plastic, and microwave for 5 mins.

Yes, I know it's not good to microwave in plastic, but it's so much easier than simmering them in a pan for 40 mins. They're not readily available where I live now, although I grew up in California.