Menu

PA People and affidavits...

You don't *have* to send it in at all if you don't want to. Your affidavit can just say "I attest that my child has all of the required medical and dental checkups, or has an exemption blah blah blah." And/or you can include the exemption form. I think you're supposed to have it done before beginning homeschooling, though, if you're not exempting yourself from it.

Look at askpauline.com for the exact information.

You are not required to send in a copy of their vaccinations. They are asking above and beyond the law when they ask this of you.

This is from Pauline's site.

The affidavit must contain "evidence that the child has been immunized in accordance with the provisions of section 1303(a)". It is possible to claim an exemption to the immunizations. The PDE interprets the law, specifically the word "evidence", to mean that you must submit a list of immunizations and the date they were received (which can be written by the parent), or an exemption letter from the parent or doctor, with your affidavit.
If I were enrolling Doodle in the school instead of registering him to be homeschooled, I would have been asked to provide the same information.

I've been homeschooling in PA for 5 years, and I've never sent any medical or dental information. I attest on my affidavit that I object to providing the information, but that my children are under the care of a doctor. I don't remember anything about the dentist!

A lawyer (homeschool mom) once told me that the law didn't support me on this, but I've never had trouble with it. I think (but am not sure) I found the exact wording on Pauline's site.

I'm not looking for the exemption, I have no problem sending in the immunization information or the dental information. I'm just unclear as to whether the dental stuff has to be sent with the affidavit prior to 3rd grade or does it go in my portfolio at the conclusion of 3rd grade?

I'm not looking for the exemption, I have no problem sending in the immunization information or the dental information. I'm just unclear as to whether the dental stuff has to be sent with the affidavit prior to 3rd grade or does it go in my portfolio at the conclusion of 3rd grade?

I think it has to be prior, but I'm not certain. I'll see if I can find that part o the law. There's a link that you can get to from the PDE site.

The law says it has to happen "when beginning the home education program", which IMO doesn't mean prior, but that you shouldn't wait very far into the school year. For DD I did submit a form just attesting that dental services had been received, but I only did that the first year. I did the same for medical services, and attached her immunization record. This year I stated in my affidavit that services had been received and files were on record with her doctor and dentist, whose addresses had already been submitted to the district. No comment from the district on this -- so far.

From the sample affidavit on PDE's site:

Article XIV requires that every child of school age be given by methods established by the state's Advisory Health Board, an annual vision test and measurement of height and weight, tests for tuberculosis under medical supervision at when beginning school and 9th grade, and other tests required by the Advisory Health Board. Children when beginning school and in the 6th and 11th grades must have a medical examination and comprehensive appraisal of health by a physician and a hearing test is required when the child begins school and at 2nd, 3rd, 7th and 11th grade levels. Children when beginning school and in the 3rd and 7th grades must have a dental examination by a dentist. A comprehensive health record shall be maintained for each child.

Here's the code linked to from Pauline's site.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/028/chapter23/s23.3.html

I'm not certain, I just assumed it had to be before 3rd grade begins. Hopefully someone else can say for sure.

I submitted my affidavit, objectives and immunization record prior to August 1st. This will be Doodle's 3rd grade year. I have received in return a letter from the Superintendent acknowledging that everything necessary has been filed on my part. The letter also lists what will be required at the end of the school year.