Menu

Shouldn't I be better?

Okay, so I got my first inkling of "might be getting sick" last Saturday.

By Monday, I was sick.

Tuesday was BAD....really really bad.

Wednesday, my daughter took me to the clinic where we had a bit of

trouble getting my oxygen levels up, but in time were able to. They did

xrays finding my mid and base of my left lung had extensive pneumonia.

They gave me a shot and a boatload of medication.

I felt a little better that evening and then a little better the next day.

And now nothing good.

Yesterday, I pulled something in my neck coughing so now I'm in severe

pain that way as well as the pain in my chest and back and ribs and throat.

But shouldn't I be better by now? Like significantly better?

BTW, I would have gone to the hospital Wednesday, but my hubby changed jobs and there is a wait on medical insurance.

Even with the 30% self-pay discount, it cost me over $500 on Wednesday for everything.

I just don't have it to do it again and most certainly can't pay for the hospital.

But I have to do something? Or do I? Maybe I just need a couple more days?

Ideas?

Pamela, it's so hard to say. :grouphug:

I know when my boys and my dh had pneumonia, they all felt crummy for quite some time. But only you know how bad you feel, and if you need medical attention or not.

Perhaps an urgent care center would be less expensive?

I understand that pneumonia is a long-lingering illness. So it just may take some time to feel better.

:grouphug:

My dd's bff started out like you. She had two back to back runs with antibiotics and still worsened. She ended up in the hospital for a week. The pneumonia had spread to the other lung. My point is just don't mess around with it. I DO understand the money issue...but with pneumonia, if you are not feeling like you are getting better by now, I think you should go back to the doctor *at least*.

Saying a prayer for you!

(NOTE: This is my second bout. Last Nov, they were more conservative to start and I didn't respond; so this time they suggested being more aggressive this time)

I don't know what the shot was. They said it was painful but powerful. It cost enough!

Then I went home with Levofloxacin. (http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/pneumonia/medications.html : Most resistant strains respond to fluoroquinolines such as levofloxacin (Levaquin), gemifloxacin (Factive) or moxifloxacin (Avelox), or to ketolides (telithromycin). ) I also have albuterol and prednisone (which is probably why I can't sleep). And of course, I've taken pain killers, nyquil, cough drops, etc.

Both my hubby and daughter will be at work tomorrow. I have to be able to function!

A friend brought us breakfast this morning. She thinks I should go to the hospital, says they will accept money later. I know my agency director would like me to go also. She hated that I didn't earlier.

Two weeks ago, my dad was in the hospital for pneumonia. He went in Thursday morning and was back at work Tuesday (could have been Monday but he needed to see the doctor). BTW, took same medication.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I am sorry you are so sick. Are you on medication now?

Pneumonia is nasty, nasty, nasty stuff. If you had a bad case of it, you are going to be sick for awhile to come.

Dh had pneumonia many years ago. It honestly took him six months to return to his former self. And ever since he got it, he now gets asthma induced bronchitis every time he gets a cold. We start him on oregano oil at the first signs of colds now and it has done wonders these past two years.

(NOTE: This is my second bout. Last Nov, they were more conservative to start and I didn't respond; so this time they suggested being more aggressive this time)

I don't know what the shot was. They said it was painful but powerful. It cost enough!

Then I went home with Levofloxacin. (http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/pneumonia/medications.html : Most resistant strains respond to fluoroquinolines such as levofloxacin (Levaquin), gemifloxacin (Factive) or moxifloxacin (Avelox), or to ketolides (telithromycin). ) I also have albuterol and prednisone (which is probably why I can't sleep). And of course, I've taken pain killers, nyquil, cough drops, etc.

Both my hubby and daughter will be at work tomorrow. I have to be able to function!

A friend brought us breakfast this morning. She thinks I should go to the hospital, says they will accept money later. I know my agency director would like me to go also. She hated that I didn't earlier.

Two weeks ago, my dad was in the hospital for pneumonia. He went in Thursday morning and was back at work Tuesday (could have been Monday but he needed to see the doctor). BTW, took same medication.

I am glad you're on albuterol. I wonder if you need additional breathing treatments?

My daughter had pneumonia a couple of weeks before Christmas last year. It seemed to last quite a while. We took her back to the doctor after Christmas and then again later in January because we were concerned that she wasn't back to her normal self yet. The pneumonia itself was gone by then, but the after effects just seem to linger. Take it easy, don't try to do too much too soon. Get lots of rest, drink plenty of fluids...you know the drill.:001_smile:

i have had pneumonia 8 times now. there is no way i could have functioned at all after a week. i was six weeks off work.... and promptly relapsed.

so in the real world, you will miss more time, spend more money and be less functional if you push it than if you get well. i cracked three ribs the first time coughing. there's not much they can do to help. do you feel as if you are getting better or worse? if you think you are not getting better, then you need to go back and see someone.

ann

Thanks y'all. I would be okay with a little lingering cough or being "off." I'm just downright sick. I still have the rice krispies feeling/sound breathing. I am not very productive coughing, but boy do I cough and cough.

I can't take a NORMAL breath without coughing (I'm doing measured breaths) and still am coughing a ton.

I'm thinking of going up to the clinic tonight....Maybe there is something...

Thanks y'all. I would be okay with a little lingering cough or being "off." I'm just downright sick. I still have the rice krispies feeling/sound breathing. I am not very productive coughing, but boy do I cough and cough.

I can't take a NORMAL breath without coughing (I'm doing measured breaths) and still am coughing a ton.

I'm thinking of going up to the clinic tonight....Maybe there is something...

I'm not quick to jump on going to the doc, but in this case I really think you need to go in. Take lots of vitamin C and Zinc too. But yes, get yourself back in to see someone asap!