Menu

Before the fab five was the magnificent seven show???

On Thursday, I saw a commercial that said they were going to re-air footage of the magnificent sevens' win. However, I knew we would be gone Friday, so I didn't pay attention to what show or channel it was airing on. Did anyone watch this and know if I can find it online?

I think they just played it at the start of the Prime Time coverage on NBC last night. I watched it. (Unless there was something different.) They interviewed Shannon Miller, Domonic Moceanue (sp?), Keri Strug, and a few others. They showed clips of some of the best moments. There was also an interview segment with one of the Russian gymnasts and her coach, their views on the US win were quite different. I don't know if you can find it anywhere, but it would be worth looking.

Something else that I saw a few weeks ago was an episode of the HBO "Real Sports" show with Bryant Gumbel.

They had a segment featuring Dominque Moceanu and her bond with a teenage gymnast in Illinois who was born without any legs. Her parents had adopted her from an orphanage in Romania.

She was always fascinated by Moceanu and started doing gymnastics because she did. Even without legs, she started tumbling and won several championships in her state. It was very inspiring!

To make a long story short -- and I hope someone can find a link to the episode -- when the adopted girl's parents were watching Dominque compete in the Olympics, they flashed to her parents up in the stands and put their names up.

The adopted mother ran to get the adoption papers and, sure enough, the names were the same. The little girl who had been born without any legs, and left in the orphanage in Romania, was Dominque Moceanu's sister. They had abandoned her at birth, due to her birth defect.

The two sisters have since met and formed an intense bond. It was a fascinating and touching story.

Something else that I saw a few weeks ago was an episode of the HBO "Real Sports" show with Bryant Gumbel.

They had a segment featuring Dominque Moceanu and her bond with a teenage gymnast in Illinois who was born without any legs. Her parents had adopted her from an orphanage in Romania.

She was always fascinated by Moceanu and started doing gymnastics because she did. Even without legs, she started tumbling and won several championships in her state. It was very inspiring!

To make a long story short -- and I hope someone can find a link to the episode -- when the adopted girl's parents were watching Dominque compete in the Olympics, they flashed to her parents up in the stands and put their names up.

The adopted mother ran to get the adoption papers and, sure enough, the names were the same. The little girl who had been born without any legs, and left in the orphanage in Romania, was Dominque Moceanu's sister. They had abandoned her at birth, due to her birth defect.

The two sisters have since met and formed an intense bond. It was a fascinating and touching story.

:(:crying:

So Dominique was adopted from Romania? Or her parents kept her but gave away their disabled baby? Wow....

Yes, the one born without her legs was the firstborn baby. They left her in the hospital the day she was born.

Dominque was the second born and the father pushed her relentlessly to succeed as a gymnast. She ended up "divorcing" her parents when she became an adult.

Yes, the one born without her legs was the firstborn baby. They left her in the hospital the day she was born.

Dominque was the second born and the father pushed her relentlessly to succeed as a gymnast. She ended up "divorcing" her parents when she became an adult.

Thanks for the info!

I think some of the "cleanness" has to do with the (relatively) lower level of difficulty just a few Olympics ago. They are doing much harder things now, it seems.

Then again, my best trick was only an aerial, and I thought I was hot stuff at 10, flipping around in my backyard. lol :)

I saw at Barnes & Noble today that she has also written a memoir about her experiences. I think it's called Off Balance or something like that. I thought it sounded interesting.

DH and I were both amazed at how much better the Magnificent Seven were than anything we've seen this summer. Their landings were SO clean, they were so graceful, so... ON it. I was just beyond impressed.

I thought the same when I watched Carly Patterson just from 2004. These girls this year made a TON of mistakes.

What an awesome story about Dominique!

I think some of the "cleanness" has to do with the (relatively) lower level of difficulty just a few Olympics ago. They are doing much harder things now, it seems.

Then again, my best trick was only an aerial, and I thought I was hot stuff at 10, flipping around in my backyard. lol :)

Heck, I think I'm hot stuff if I make it through a day without stumbling and/or falling. And I'm just doing mental gymnastics :D

Heck, I think I'm hot stuff if I make it through a day without stumbling and/or falling. And I'm just doing mental gymnastics :D

:D :lol: If I make it through the day without spilling something down my shirt, I think that's a successful day!

It kills me to listen to the commentators during these competitions. On one hand, intellectually, I get the technical details they are discussing, the competitive drive to be your best, score well, and of course, win.

On the other hand, I watch a fairly young girl do a series of death-defying leaps, twirls, jumps, and cartwheels on a 4" wide unforgiving hardwood beam without once dying, let alone falling off, and they cluck, "Oh, she has to be disappointed in that!"

I think so too.

I also think it may have something do with 1996 being the last year compulsories were performed at that level of competition. In 1996 and before the gymnasts had to complete their regular exercises and a routine that was designed by the international governing body with simpler routines with strict attention paid to form, technique, and execution

I just happened to watch this the other day. It is the interview about this very topic. I thought they said Dominique was 6 when the baby was born, but maybe I misheard.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=wjH8iib-pXU

DH and I were both amazed at how much better the Magnificent Seven were than anything we've seen this summer. Their landings were SO clean, they were so graceful, so... ON it. I was just beyond impressed.

One of the commentators asked the gymnastics expert he was talking to why we see so few good landings now. His comment was that they level of difficulty keeps being raised, which means they are having a harder time hitting it just right.

To me, that means they should back off a bit. The quality at this Olympics,at least in women's gymnastics, has been atrocious. I want to see them do their *best* at the Olympics, not consistently fail at trying something out of their reach.

One of the commentators asked the gymnastics expert he was talking to why we see so few good landings now. His comment was that they level of difficulty keeps being raised, which means they are having a harder time hitting it just right.

To me, that means they should back off a bit. The quality at this Olympics,at least in women's gymnastics, has been atrocious. I want to see them do their *best* at the Olympics, not consistently fail at trying something out of their reach.

:iagree: I can see that they are doing much more difficult skills - and they are really cool! However, if they can't "stick" the difficult things, then they shouldn't be doing them at the Olympics.