Menu

Hair color help for the uninitiated. Beauty experts stop here. :)

The gray is really coming in, ladies. My hair is really dark and I always joked about my glamorous silver streaks, but I'm starting to feel like I need to do something. Until recently, dh, too, said he did not want me to color my hair because he's seen the aggravation his mom and my mom go through. Lately, though, he's made a couple of comments along the lines of, "If you want to color it, I don't mind." It seems the changed texture bothers him more than the color.

Over the years people have told me I looked like Demi Moore or Winona Ryder. I'm just saying that so you get an idea of my coloring. Very, very dark brown hair. Some say black but it's really not. No red highlights. Fairly light skin and lighter brown eyes. My hair's cut in layers now and shoulder length. I love when I see highlights in other women's hair but I don't know if it would work with my color, but I also don't usually like when women with dark hair have an obviously dyed, too dark, too flat color. Are you getting any color ideas for me?

Is there something I could try that would just tint the gray and look like highlights? Is there something that I can test that will wash out soon if I don't like it?

I need low maintenance, not pricey, and possibly natural suggestions because I read the thread about hair color allergies awhile back and I got nervous.

Help!

Anything along the hair color aisle in the drug store will work. Temporary colors will wash out quickly, so I wouldn't even bother with those.

Do NOT try highlights on your own. LOL That can look so fake if you don't do it right.

Gray hair is notoriously stubborn to color, so my suggestion would be to try permanent color...it's a little stronger and more likely to take.

I would also suggest you go to a professional (a really good one) the first time rather than experiment at home.

I get my hair colored every nine to ten weeks and with the cut and blow-dry it costs me anywhere from $85 - $105. Highlights add a bit more, but she only does those every other time.

Anything along the hair color aisle in the drug store will work. Temporary colors will wash out quickly, so I wouldn't even bother with those.

Do NOT try highlights on your own. LOL That can look so fake if you don't do it right.

Gray hair is notoriously stubborn to color, so my suggestion would be to try permanent color...it's a little stronger and more likely to take.

I would also suggest you go to a professional (a really good one) the first time rather than experiment at home.

I get my hair colored every nine to ten weeks and with the cut and blow-dry it costs me anywhere from $85 - $105. Highlights add a bit more, but she only does those every other time.

Looking at your picture--yes, it's black and white, I know--it does look like your coloring could be like mine. What color are your highlights?

I agree with the above poster. If you are nervous, get a nice and easy, or just for gray type color....there are also some at the store that are more "natural" than others. But really, it's hair dye, you are not going to get away from chemicals. ;) Otherwise they just won't work, or might stain your skin.

Dying your hair is no big deal. You'll do fine. If you want to do a professional job first, go for it. The only real way it will look abviously dyed is if you go with a serious black.

Do not do highlights at home.

They say generally that you should pick a color lighter than your own. I am not familiar with black hair though. I would strongly consider a professional the first time and ask what colors they are using and then select those colors when you do yourself. Sally's Beauty supply also has people that will help guide you in terms of what colors to pick. I did do highlights at home in desperation from a too dark color applied at a beauty school which did work great. It was Revlon with a cap to do highlights but I do not think these products are for black hair. Also, youtube has many videos on how to color hair at home.

Agree with everyone else.

You wrote about wanting to sort of stay with your natural color and get the gray to pick up something that will bring a highlighted look.

Garnier Nutrisse (not foam -- don't use any brand of foam -- foam is uneven and not good for at home use -- they don't use foam in salons)

Pick a shade close to your natural color. You say that you don't have red highlights or tones in your hair. Stay away from names of shades with the words 'warm,' 'chestnut,' 'golden' -- you get the idea.

You will want a shade that says 'cool.' Pick something very very close to your natural shade with 'cool' in the name of the shade and go one shade lighter than that. If you have isolated grays for instance around your face, put the color on those first and leave for about 10 minutes before you get the color on your entire head.

follow the directions -- if you get color on your skin, use a cotton ball with the hair color applied to the cotton ball and rub off -- color removes color.

Use the conditioner that comes with the color product - keep it on for the amount of time they specify.

As you shampoo every day, it will lighten up and probably appear somewhat as highlights as days go by.

I would also say that for first timers, a trip to a salon is a good idea, but you can do this yourself - it's single process and very simple.

I would echo what some others have said about not attempting to do DIY hair coloring. :) a good hair stylist will find a color very similar to your own color ( so that your natural color will grow in more gracefully) . She/ he will probably find a tone a bit more warm than your own. If you want highlights it sounds like you want to emphasize that you want it to look natural, and you need something lower maintenance. This will mean highlights that are brown/ carmel- ish color but just a few tones lighter than your base color. You want to do tiny strands, not large chunks. It should just looked sun- kissed, not a heavy, obvious streaky sort of look.

My experience is that you usually get what you pay for :( . I have tried budget hairdressers and have not been really happy with the results. Not that you have to do high end to get a good result, but a good hairstylist and colorist will be able to charge the going rate for your area and get it.

I'd suggest getting on yelp, or a local board, and ask for suggestions. I used yelp to find my current hairdresser. I noted all the people who said she did great cuts and color. That many people couldn't be wrong....so i tried her...she did a great job...for a price, of course ;) . Hope that helps somewhat?

Agree with everyone else.

You wrote about wanting to sort of stay with your natural color and get the gray to pick up something that will bring a highlighted look.

Garnier Nutrisse (not foam -- don't use any brand of foam -- foam is uneven and not good for at home use -- they don't use foam in salons)

Pick a shade close to your natural color. You say that you don't have red highlights or tones in your hair. Stay away from names of shades with the words 'warm,' 'chestnut,' 'golden' -- you get the idea.

You will want a shade that says 'cool.' Pick something very very close to your natural shade with 'cool' in the name of the shade and go one shade lighter than that. If you have isolated grays for instance around your face, put the color on those first and leave for about 10 minutes before you get the color on your entire head.

follow the directions -- if you get color on your skin, use a cotton ball with the hair color applied to the cotton ball and rub off -- color removes color.

Use the conditioner that comes with the color product - keep it on for the amount of time they specify.

As you shampoo every day, it will lighten up and probably appear somewhat as highlights as days go by.

I would also say that for first timers, a trip to a salon is a good idea, but you can do this yourself - it's single process and very simple.

:grouphug: This sounds easy! My bond/brown hair is going gray fast. I used Sun-in to add highlights around the gray. It actually looks good and much better than the gray contrasting with the brown. DD~15 also used Sun-in, but her blond brown hair turned strawberry blond. It's a look.

I use Loreal Excellence dk. brown every three weeks on my roots only. My roots are completely white in the front half of my head only. I comb it through the back about 2x a year... It makes my hair a little blacker than natural, but it is the only way to get the roots dyed.

When I am 50, I'm going have it temporarily styled short/layered to cut the dye out, and have lowlights to blend the white and black... I should be salt and pepper at that age I think....

Edited by LNC

Looking at your picture--yes, it's black and white, I know--it does look like your coloring could be like mine. What color are your highlights?

Yes, I'm Italian, and my hair is also a very dark brown. It's always better to go a little lighter rather than darker when you dye your hair (and as you age in general) as a brunette, or you risk looking like Morticia Addams. :lol:

My highlights are a soft caramel color that my stylist creates on her own by mixing a couple of commercial dyes (I did not want red highlights, and that's always a risk when you're highlighting a brunette). She always pulls out my card to check the "formula" each time I go to make sure she gets it right. They are also thin highlights (as opposed to chunky tiger stripes), using only a few strands at a time in the foil, around my face.

Pay the big bucks and go to a reputable professional who is great with color (ask at the salon when you make the appointment who they recommend...the girls at the front desk will know) for your first time. Home hair coloring can go so horribly, hideously, wrong, and that usually ends up costing twice as much to fix as it would have to start at a salon in the first place.

For touch ups between coloring, I use the over the counter root coloring L'Oreal makes.

Yes, I'm Italian, and my hair is also a very dark brown. It's always better to go a little lighter rather than darker when you dye your hair (and as you age in general) as a brunette, or you risk looking like Morticia Addams. :lol:

My highlights are a soft caramel color that my stylist creates on her own by mixing a couple of commercial dyes (I did not want red highlights, and that's always a risk when you're highlighting a brunette). She always pulls out my card to check the "formula" each time I go to make sure she gets it right. They are also thin highlights (as opposed to chunky tiger stripes), using only a few strands at a time in the foil, around my face.

Pay the big bucks and go to a reputable professional who is great with color (ask at the salon when you make the appointment who they recommend...the girls at the front desk will know) for your first time. Home hair coloring can go so horribly, hideously, wrong, and that usually ends up costing twice as much to fix as it would have to start at a salon in the first place.

For touch ups between coloring, I use the over the counter root coloring L'Oreal makes.

:iagree:

My friend who has the dark brown hair also does the L'Oreal touchup stuff between visits, she says it works great, and she is very particular about these kinds of things.

I use Loreal Excellence dk. brown every three weeks on my roots only. My roots are completely white in the front half of my head only. I comb it through the back about 2x a year... It makes my hair a little blacker than natural, but it is the only way to get the roots dyed.

When I am 50, I'm going have it temporarily styled short/layered to cut the dye out, and have lowlights to blend the white and black... I should be salt and pepper at that age I think....

You might feel differently when you get that age:) Ask me:)

I had my hair colored several times in one of the better salons in my town, and it didn't look as good as doing it myself. I've tried numerous brands, and my favorite is this one: http://www.revlon.com/Revlon-Home/Products/Haircolor/ColorSilk/Revlon-Colorsilk.aspx

Color Silk costs only about $3 a box, and I avoided trying it for years because I didn't think a good product could possibly be so cheap. It leaves my hair super soft, I get lots of compliments on the color, and the color on the box is pretty accurate.

Well, I'm gonna be the odd man out. I recommend using a non-permanent color the first time. It's more forgiving if you end up not liking it and washes out in 28'ish shampoos. I'd go one shade lighter than your natural color. Follow the instructions on the box, color all over the first time, only the roots after that. I like to color when I have clean hair, so I'll shampoo the night before, color in the morning or vice versa. Make sure to use a shampoo and conditioner for colored hair, no SLS is best to keep color truer longer. Once you feel comfortable coloring your own hair, if the non-perm isn't covering your gray like you want, you can switch to a perm color. I used non-permanent for about 6-7 years before needing to switch to a permanent. I've used a permanent color once a month for over 8 years. My personal faves are Garnier and L'Oreal products. I've used the Garnier mousse for about 5-6 months and love the coverage. Deep condition once a week (leave conditioner on for 10-20 minutes before rinsing) and keep hair trimmed to keep it looking fresh. Oh, and I keep a shirt and 2 towels just for coloring. That way I don't ruin every one in the house. Best wishes!

ETA: I do think the above mentioned Revlon product is decent (It's a permanent color). It doesn't have built in conditioner, so, if you use it, make sure to use a good conditioner with it. I don't use it because it doesn't come in a shade I prefer.

Edited by raceNzanesmom

I want to be brave and try the home hair color, but still too I'm chicken.

I go to the salon and get a mohawk or full head foil to cover the grey. They call them low lights, but they are actually my real hair color. The foils don't leave you with a one-flat head color. My hair has lots of highlight and different colors and the foils look pretty much like my hair 5 years ago.

The lines of home color that cover grey didn't cover my grey at all. The rest of my hair sucked the color up, but the grey/wild hairs were stubborn to say the least.

My sister colors her hair all the time and changes the color and brands at will. Her hair looks great.

I am close to 50% gray and allergic to chemical hair color so I use henna from Mountain Rose Herbs. It coats your hair shaft. It takes me three applications (one morning after another) to get the gray covered. It does not lighten your hair at all. I used a blend of medium brown, copper, mahogany and burgundy. The gray hairs end up a lighter colored version of the blend, while the darker hairs remain deeper colored. I have had people compliment me on my highlights ! Henna is nice because mixed with a little olive oil, it conditions my hair instead of damaging it. It is extremely affordable for me to do myself at home, with no worries of damaging the house with stains from drips because it doesn't cause permanent staining like hair dye does. The only downside is that it's a commitment - once you coat your hair shafts with henna, you can't put chemical color on them until all the henna is stripped out with mineral oil, or you may get unpredictable results from the chemical color. But if henna is what you would want to commit to because of the advantages, it works great for me.

Licensed cosmetologist here...

If you've never colored your hair before, and plan on doing it at home, start off with a semi-permanent color (also called demi-permanent) http://www.clairol.com/en-US/products/natural-instincts/natural-hair-color This will only deposit color- it will not lighten your batural haircolor, but can darken it. For example, if you put black color on blonde hair, it will be black. If you put blonde color on black hair, it will do nothing. If you put a medium brown color on dark brown hair with 25% grey, it will just turn light/medium brown on the grey and your natural haircolor will be either the same or slightly different in tone (meaning- if you put a warm color on cool hair, it might pick up the warm tone.)

Semi-permanent color will wash out gradually- making roots less noticeable at touch-up time. If you hate the color, it is much easier to fix- just keep washing, LOL! This is best if you want to blend grey and keep your natural color. It might need a slightly darker color to cover the grey. Wash your hair with the coolest water you can stand- hot water opens the cuticle layer and lets the color wash out.

Don't be afraid of a warmer tone- think caramel... sometimes, too much ash/cool tone can be aging.

Here's another non-permanent color: http://www.clairol.com/en-US/products/nice-n-easy/non-permanent-color