Menu

Do you have flashmaster?

campmom

Yes, we have it. I would buy another if ours broke. I used it with ds#2 for years until he was quick and accurate with all of his math facts. I'm now using it with ds #3 for addition and subtraction. It's easy for a child to use and I don't have to sit with them and do flash cards. I usually have them do it every day for about 5 minutes. It works.

Beth

I purchased it off an Aussie place that was having a sale. I planned to purchase it anyway.

Flashcards in this house (as well as playing cards or anything else that is lots of pieces for a "set) is just asking for trouble.

Singapore Maths asks for Flashcards & game for addition and subtraction upto 20.

What I did was purchased:

Snap it up Card Game (as suggested)

Hot Dots Pen & Add & Subtract + More Add & More Sub (this can be done independantly)

FlashMaster (this can also be done independantly)

The flashmaster works because its only once piece, can be done indepedantly, and gives my kids the "electronics" they crave, thus eliminating it feeling like schoolwork. I find anythng that holds their attention, and doesn't feel like "school" a plus, as they will often sit there and play those things (feeling priviledged that mommy allows it) in their spare time, as its counted as games to them.

Its good that there isn't lots of little cards that can be lost, destroyed by DS, or ripped up by Eve when she's having one of her "I'm tired" tantrums. Its nice a bag, feels sturdy, and looks like a game. I honestly have no doubt when I bring it out, Chaos(DS) will want to "play" with it too :D

So, IMO, yes, I think its worth it.

Punk was seriously adverse to drill and would fall apart over anything timed.* (No lie, I once gave him a page with ten problems, sums < or = 10, and 3 minutes to finish only to have him freak out and descend into a panic attack. He was almost 8. :001_huh: )

The Flashmaster was one of the best investments I ever made for him. He can drill without seeing the pile of cards or the page filled with problems. He can increase his speed very gently, or not be timed at all. He still does not jump for joy to drill facts, but he no longer cries and hides under the table when it is time. :hurray::hurray:

*In all fairness we are dealing with some un-Rxed SPD issues here, so that definitely plays into how he handles things.

Edited by BLA5
Crazy iPad auto correct!

I used it several years ago for my dd, and it was definitely useful. My ds as a toddler got a hold of it and broke the lcd screen, so it still works but has a black area.

It was definitely a tidy way to practice. I have an ipad now, so I don't know that I'd replace it with another Flashmaster. I'll have to see when we get there. Really though, for us the contextualized, really cute, spiraled work in TT (much maligned, I know) gave her a real jump in speed, more than anything we've tried, and we've tried a lot. Her computation went from 80-something percentile on standardized testing to topping out. That's with a few months of TT. And TT is adorable. So one alternative, same amount of time spent daily, would be to pick a grade level of TT at or behind what the dc is doing in his regular math and let him do it just to get facts faster.

It really depends on why the math facts aren't cementing as to what the best fix is, kwim? My dd learns best with narrative, context, and humor. TT has all those things, so it's the golden triangle for her. My ds is a kinesthetic learner, so he's going to be totally different. If he did Flashmaster while jumping on a trampoline it might stick. :lol: