Menu

"How to read a book" anyone know a curriculum with this book

Guest coastalmama

Guest coastalmama

Hello

I'm trying to find an language arts curriculum with this on the reading list.

I know i have seen one but now i cant find it, can anyone help?

thanks

We are using History Odyssey Ancients along with How to Read a Book along with the work book. I ordered the work book, printed it, hole punched it and put it in a folder. The workbook is seriously going to help us get through reading the book!

RhondaM.

Guest coastalmama

thank you.

How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler & Charles Van Doren

it was this one.That's were i have seen it, History Odyssey,wonderful.

I have been so close to making this my newly HS DS (14) history this year. Coming out of high school with huge holes in Math and English, he loves the ancient period.So hopefully it will provide some good writing practice that's engaging and thoughtful.

I never read this but it was recommended by my first good writing teacher, Nathan Huggins in freshman composition at Harvard. As I recall, he said, "the first thing to do is to read the table of contents, as that tells you what is in the book".

this has been all i have needed over my career. in teaching calculus i have often recommended the same to my students. i.e. to review the course just read the sections in the table of contents. there will be at most one question on each topic listed there. I use the same method for making up my test.

I am glad I noticed this thread. I just finished reading the book last month. I actually really enjoyed it. I know so many people

complain of never finishing it and that is is drudgery. I borrowed it from the library and have been hoping to order it, read it again and mark it up ;)

I think when I use it with my ds we will work through it really slowly and take the time to discuss it. There is a lot to digest. I am excited to hear there is a workbook, I was not aware of it.

As for the original posters question, Memoria Press is where I initially saw it and maybe Omnibus?