Menu

PSA: All Teaching Company DVDs 70% off for 3 days

So, say "someone" was starting to look into building a Great Courses collection (for the kids, of course :tongue_smilie:) and wasn't sure what was worth putting on a wishlist. Said someone also has a very limited budget and has to do this with her monthy blow money only...

Which courses, especially literature and history, would be the best bang for her buck, so to speak?

(Now I'm going to go back to drooling over the Russian Literature course... Do I buy it? Do I pass? Do I wait until later? Hmmm...)

Not sure if anyone knows this, but there's an active coupon code on retailmenot that will take $30 off a $45 or more purchase from Great Courses, even the ones that are already 70% off. :D

Just beware that it won't work if you try to use the free shipping code though. I tried that. Only one coupon per order. And if you don't believe me and try it anyway, be prepared for a bill for the full price. :blush:

Turns out if you do that, you break the link to the sale. Luckily, The Teaching Company people are very nice on the phone.

So, say "someone" was starting to look into building a Great Courses collection (for the kids, of course :tongue_smilie:) and wasn't sure what was worth putting on a wishlist. Said someone also has a very limited budget and has to do this with her monthy blow money only...

Which courses, especially literature and history, would be the best bang for her buck, so to speak?

(Now I'm going to go back to drooling over the Russian Literature course... Do I buy it? Do I pass? Do I wait until later? Hmmm...)

With kids your age, I'd definitely wait. Also, check your library. My library has a bunch.

With kids your age, I'd definitely wait. Also, check your library. My library has a bunch.

My small-town library is horrible. Nada. :glare:

And I was joking about them being for the kids. I've been needing something for *me* for a long while, and going back to finish my English Lit. degree just isn't going to happen. This might fill the need, even though I'd be buying them veeeerrrrrry slowly due to finances.

Sorry about the code issue... I was thinking of using it on an audio download version, so no shipping to worry about.

Wow! Just wow! The sale is still in effect as of two minutes ago :tongue_smilie: AND if you opt to purchase the downloads and/or immediate streaming vice receiving physical DVD's, not only are they less expensive to begin with, then the retailmenot.com coupon codes (that d.g. so graciously informed us about) DO WORK!!! The coupon code for $30 off of a $45 purchase is W9E3 and the code for $20 off of a $35 purchase is HE4A. If purchasing more than one course, and you purchase them as separate transactions, the coupon codes will deduct from each and every transaction!:001_smile:

I purchased a Night Sky course for $19.95, several Algebra courses for #39.95 each, and several English courses for $29.95 each. The immediate streaming option indicates that any purchase made via download will ALWAYS be available for instant access via thegreatcourses.com website.

Wow! Just wow!

And a huge "thank you" to both Perry and d.g. :party:

HTH,

Jen

Wow! Just wow! The sale is still in effect as of two minutes ago :tongue_smilie: AND if you opt to purchase the downloads and/or immediate streaming vice receiving physical DVD's, not only are they less expensive to begin with, then the retailmenot.com coupon codes (that d.g. so graciously informed us about) DO WORK!!! The coupon code for $30 off of a $45 purchase is W9E3 and the code for $20 off of a $35 purchase is HE4A. If purchasing more than one course, and you purchase them as separate transactions, the coupon codes will deduct from each and every transaction!:001_smile:

I purchased a Night Sky course for $19.95, several Algebra courses for #39.95 each, and several English courses for $29.95 each. The immediate streaming option indicates that any purchase made via download will ALWAYS be available for instant access via thegreatcourses.com website.

Wow! Just wow!

HTH,

Jen

What English did you purchase? Because, you know, I really need to spend more $$ on curriculum. :lol:

Re: what English courses I purchased

I have an aspiring writer DD (who is a home school school senior this year) living upstairs in her garret :tongue_smilie:, so I purchased Writing Creative Non Fiction and Building Great Sentences: Exploring the Writer's Craft. My intent is for these to be used primarily for enrichment and/or enlightenment purposes vice a stand alone curriculum.

Happy shopping!

Jen

Re: what English courses I purchased

I have an aspiring writer DD (who is a home school school senior this year) living upstairs in her garret :tongue_smilie:, so I purchased Writing Creative Non Fiction and Building Great Sentences: Exploring the Writer's Craft. My intent is for these to be used primarily for enrichment and/or enlightenment purposes vice a stand alone curriculum.

Happy shopping!

Jen

Well, these sound very interesting. I've got a couple of writers here too. Maybe I'll take a peak. And... they might look pretty next to all the other writing curriculum I've got. :smilielol5:

Wow! Just wow!

HTH,

Jen

:lol:

You did what I was dreaming about doing, buying a ton of them! DH told me last night that he'll be working 10-18 hours of overtime this weekend, and it was all I could do to *not* beg for an instant budget meeting so I could up the school budget a little before the sale ended. :D Instead, I just bought the Russian Lit course I was wanting so much.

So, say "someone" was starting to look into building a Great Courses collection (for the kids, of course :tongue_smilie:) and wasn't sure what was worth putting on a wishlist.

(Hummm, I posted my reply and now I can't see it ...)

Personally, with kids your age, I'd invest in the Naxos CDs: Tale of Troy, 1001 Nights, Greek Tales, Norse Tales, Adventure of Odysseus, Great Inventors, etc. These are good, and my son listens to them over and over. They are not annoying to grown-ups. Benjamin Soames is our fav reader.

I don't see that all of them are on sale. I'm looking at The Iliad and it doesn't appear to be discounted. Maybe you have to have a code for some of them?

When I type "Iliad" in the search bar, it shows up without the sale. When I clicked on (under "Courses by Topic", left sidebar) Literature and English Language->Other Literature, I get a page that has it listed for $39.95.

If this link doesn't work, play around with the site and try to get there from different links. And if all else fails, I would be happy to buy it and have it shipped to you. I take Paypal. :)

My husband just bought the Critical Decisions / Transformative Leadership bundle. He was trying to get his TO to buy it, but TO said they couldn't use it for multiple people (aspiring officers). So he called and TTC customer service said yes he can, as long as they're not charging for it, and suggested he burn it to disc for department use. That's AWESOME!

So, then, I order the early US history. That one only comes on disk, so we dont have to fight over download space. :D

Oh! My whole point in posting: when I clicked on the individual courses in his bundle (which I know are also on sale), they came up with their full price page. So I think it just depends on how you access the titles, e.g. directly through the sale page, or other link on the site.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I just bought Chemistry for DS. He wanted to try the lectures instead of my direct teaching - :glare: - drat kid...I'm an excellent chemistry teacher! Anyway, it was $69.95 and I used coupon code W9E3 which was a $30.00 savings. We did the video downloads so that we didn't have to pay shipping or wait on the DVD's since he's ready start. He'll use them in conjunction with Apologia.

So, I guess I should be thrilled that I only paid $39.95 for something I could have taught for FREE! I probably shouldn't have indulged him but if it makes the school year go more smoothly for both of us, then it will be worth the money.

Faith