Menu

English and Literature in 7th grade

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this transition. I was wondering if someone would be able to help me. I know in High School, an English credit would encompass Grammar, Composition, Oral communication and Literature. But what does it look like in Jr High? Do you think it's OK to split it in half in Jr High? Maybe have two courses, Grammar and Composition, and a separate Literature course? Or do you think it's better to combine at this stage?

:bigear:

Thanks!

Dorinda

Well, why does it matter? Do you have to report it to someone? If not, I'd save those questions for high school, when you have to do a transcript. For now, just do it however you want to.

For dd, we will do some writing assignments thru our grammar program, some thru our lit choices, and some for history--I'm not "artificially" separating anything out.

Well, why does it matter? Do you have to report it to someone? If not, I'd save those questions for high school, when you have to do a transcript. For now, just do it however you want to.

For dd, we will do some writing assignments thru our grammar program, some thru our lit choices, and some for history--I'm not "artificially" separating anything out.

Yes, I will be moving to a state where we have to report. Also, I think those who wait until it's absolutely necessary are behind the power curve. I'd rather learn now, while I have the time, and give myself two years to develop a plan, and tweak it, than wait until this time two years from now and be under the gun.

Thanks!

Dorinda

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this transition. I was wondering if someone would be able to help me. I know in High School, an English credit would encompass Grammar, Composition, Oral communication and Literature. But what does it look like in Jr High? Do you think it's OK to split it in half in Jr High? Maybe have two courses, Grammar and Composition, and a separate Literature course? Or do you think it's better to combine at this stage?

:bigear:

Thanks!

Dorinda

It is really dependent on the curriculum you use and what you want to emphasize with your particular student. I use Classical Writing for English which incorporates writing instruction, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and reading four days per week. I have decided to attribute percentages to worksheets/assignments, compositions, and tests for both my rising 8th and 11th grade boys.

The 11th grader has a Honors U.S. & World Literature & Composition: 19th Century course that uses a combination of Tapestry of Grace, Windows to the World, and Excellence in Literature. I will grade in the following manner:

Reading & Annotations 35%

Co-Op Attendance & Participation 30%

Assignments & Compositions 20%

Quizzes & Tests 15%

My 8th grader will use a combination of Tapestry of Grace, Progeny Press Literature Guides, and Teach With Movies. I have not decided on his percentages yet.

In 7th grade, we do literature, writing, grammar and vocabulary. I use separate curriculum for each and typically those things take at least 2 hours/day. If asked, I would just name it Language Arts though. In high school we drop the grammar and try to reduce the total time to 1 or 1.5 hrs/day. I still call it Language Arts.

Dorinda, What curriculum are you using?

Our main Curriculum this year is Ambleside Online year 6

Rod and Staff 7 for Grammar and some writing

IEW the Elegant Essay and WWTB for other writing

It is really dependent on the curriculum you use and what you want to emphasize with your particular student. I use Classical Writing for English which incorporates writing instruction, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and reading four days per week. I have decided to attribute percentages to worksheets/assignments, compositions, and tests for both my rising 8th and 11th grade boys.

The 11th grader has a Honors U.S. & World Literature & Composition: 19th Century course that uses a combination of Tapestry of Grace, Windows to the World, and Excellence in Literature. I will grade in the following manner:

Reading & Annotations 35%

Co-Op Attendance & Participation 30%

Assignments & Compositions 20%

Quizzes & Tests 15%

My 8th grader will use a combination of Tapestry of Grace, Progeny Press Literature Guides, and Teach With Movies. I have not decided on his percentages yet.

That is great. It gives me a place to start!

I replied to you on fb, but now that I am reading these replies they seem better :001_smile:

Oh no! Your course description was perfect! I don't know why it's so difficult for me to wrap my mind around this? Maybe because I've never had to answer to anyone?

We're going by MO law because that's where we'll be eventually this year, and they say 100 hours = 1 credit in a subject. They also say 600 hours has to be spent on the following courses, "reading, language arts, math, social studies and science." So that threw me too. I'm figuring reading and language arts would then combine and be 200 hours since there's so much to cover. I've printed out threads talking about MO, but it's kind of Greek to someone that's only requirement has been to keep a calendar with 180 highlighted on it in case someone ever asks. :lol:

Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions are MORE than appreciated!

Dorinda

In 7th grade, we do literature, writing, grammar and vocabulary. I use separate curriculum for each and typically those things take at least 2 hours/day. If asked, I would just name it Language Arts though. In high school we drop the grammar and try to reduce the total time to 1 or 1.5 hrs/day. I still call it Language Arts.

We were posting at the same time. That is SO helpful! That's what I was thinking too. Just out of curiosity, do you do any grammar in High School before you're done? Or just on an as needed basis?

Did you keep it light or did you do Rod and Staff type lessons?

We completed Winston Grammar Basic last year, did Winston Grammar Word Works over the summer, and will complete Winston Grammar Advanced this year. There will be no more grammar for my high school son after this but I will have my nephew complete Easy Grammar Ultimate Series. He has ADHD Inattentive so I'm never sure how much he retains from year to year.

I would count what you have as 1 language arts credit. Is the lit from Ambleside part of your history course? If not, feel free to add lit as another course.

As to the requirements in MO, you don't have to report to anybody. It isn't that much different than taking attendance. You need to keep records as required by MO law, but no one has the right to look at those records unless you are charged with educational neglect. Then only the prosecuting lawyer has the right to look at your records. No need to show your records to any state agency, truant officer, or public school. Those records can be as simple as a checklist that shows how many hours you spend each week in each subject.

For high school most schools don't teach grammar and writing as part of language arts. Instead writing and lit is combined for a language arts credit.

I've been wondering about how the hours work out for high school, too. I see many who are using WWS say that their dc are spending 4-5 hours a week, just on writing instruction. If HS English is supposed to cover composition & literature, how is there time to do an intensive writing course like this, and literature also? Not to mention vocab, grammar, etc. Are people spending less time on writing instruction in hs (i.e. they've covered this in jr high/logic stage)? Or are you having separate literature and composition courses/credits?

Right now language arts - including grammar, vocab, writing and literature, is a solid two hours per day. And we are supposed to do less than that in high school?? :confused:

We're going by MO law because that's where we'll be eventually this year, and they say 100 hours = 1 credit in a subject. They also say 600 hours has to be spent on the following courses, "reading, language arts, math, social studies and science." So that threw me too. I'm figuring reading and language arts would then combine and be 200 hours since there's so much to cover. I've printed out threads talking about MO, but it's kind of Greek to someone that's only requirement has been to keep a calendar with 180 highlighted on it in case someone ever asks. :lol:

Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions are MORE than appreciated!

Dorinda

Oh no, you are misreading MO law. This is just to get credits to stop going to high school without graduating. There was a new law a year or two ago to require kids dropping out of public school to be 17. HSLDA worked out the provision you are quoting to allow homeschoolers to "Drop Out" without being 17. Those are not graduation requirements. There are no homeschool graduation requirements in MO.

If you have more questions about MO law, feel free to PM me.

We were posting at the same time. That is SO helpful! That's what I was thinking too. Just out of curiosity, do you do any grammar in High School before you're done? Or just on an as needed basis?

Sorry, I almost missed this. My oldest will only be a sophomore this year, so I can't really say I'll never do grammar in high school, but I'm not planning on it.

Typically 9th and 10th grade focuses on writing instruction, grammar, vocabulary, grammar, and literature. 11th and 12th grade focus on literature and composition. Students take everything they learned in the first two years and apply it during the last two years. If a student is behind or advanced you will have to make adjustments.

My 11th grader wants to double major in history and creative writing so we are really focusing on English and literature. That is why we have made it two classes.