Menu

How do you do SOTW 1 in one year???

We didn't finish SOTW 1 in one school year, we actually started it early in late K and finished by late summer of that following 1st grade year. With SOTW 2, we also have taken our time with it and still aren't done but since dd8 can handle more at once, we started doing more than one chapter a week to get through it before we start 3rd grade in a few weeks.

Someone on here had listed a great guide for completing SOTW in 36 weeks, she offered free printables of the plans for the first 3 SOTW volumes:

Scroll down till you get to the Ancients:

http://barefootmeandering.com/homeschool/planning/

We have a few weeks where we double up. Sometimes the projects and extras just aren't ones we want to do, so those weeks we double up.

We are focusing most of our in depth activities into Egypt, Rome, and Greece. We will just read the chapter, color the page and do the map for the majority of the rest. I think I will find one thing from the East to go into, real take of Mulan time.

By following the schedule set by the teacher of our SOTW co-op class. They do 1-2 lessons per week during two 15-week semesters. It is a pretty fast pace, but we manage to:

(at home) read each chapter, do the narration prompts/discussion questions in the AG, complete a timeline, and read supplemental library books on most topics

and

(at co-op)

at least one hands-on project and the map work for each lesson.

We also complete one research report (and then present it to the group) per semester on a topic of special interest to the child. Also, each child serves as the "expert" on one lesson per semester and helps the teacher by planning that week's lesson or activity.

I feel like it was a bit of a whirlwind, but then it is supposed to be at that age. You can't teach ALL of ancient history to a 6-7 year old in under one year!

We did one section per day, 3 days a week. That can easily be done in a 36 week school year. The chapters usually have 2 or 3 sections. Some have 1 or 4 sections, but they are rare. I forget how many sections there are, but it was less than 36x3. :) At the end of a chapter, we'd do mapwork and possibly a project, though normally I ended up skipping projects. My son learns more from reading than from projects. I added in a lot of library books recommended by the AG, and DS would read those as part of his "reading time" each day (5 days a week, he had a reading time where he picked anything from the library book basket and read for 20 minutes).

It's ok if a chapter goes into another week. :)

We did one section per day, 3 days a week. That can easily be done in a 36 week school year. The chapters usually have 2 or 3 sections. Some have 1 or 4 sections, but they are rare. I forget how many sections there are, but it was less than 36x3. :) At the end of a chapter, we'd do mapwork and possibly a project, though normally I ended up skipping projects. My son learns more from reading than from projects. I added in a lot of library books recommended by the AG, and DS would read those as part of his "reading time" each day (5 days a week, he had a reading time where he picked anything from the library book basket and read for 20 minutes).

I like this idea, and I'll be keeping it in mind when we start our history cycle in two years. This year (K/2nd) we're doing US History to 1860, next year (1st/3rd) it'll be US History from 1860 -- but after that (2nd/4th through 6th/8th) we'll start at the beginning and go from there. We're planning on taking 5 years, though. ;)

Three sections/week. Good idea.

:iagree: That's how I scheduled it out, too.

I was very "relaxed" with history this year, so I didn't actually follow all my plans, but it worked out great on paper. ;)

This year I finally figured out how we can finish a book in year. At least, it will work for us with the way we do history. We do a little history every day. We are trying out a four-day school schedule for the core subjects, so history looks like this:

Tuesday-read first section of chapter, write narration

Wednesday-read second section of chapter, write narration

Thursday-(if there are no other sections)do map work, read in Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

Friday-take test

If there is a third section (we are in Book II, so there are not that many with more than two sections), then we push the map work, etc. to the test day and do it all at once.

We choose one extra reading book, per chapter, and do that as reading. We alternate the reading book list in TWTM with a history book. My girls have always finished their reading lists early, so this should help spread out their reading until the end of the school year.

We just completed week three of our school year and so far this schedule is working wonderfully!

Hope that helps.

Marsha

Well, it's balanced enough that it's really not that hard. Some chapters inspire rabbit trails galore, crafts, mummifying a chicken, and the whole shebang. Then the next one will be, do a coloring page, narrate, move on.

Then, when you take the average attention span of a first grader, some weeks they just -won't- be into it. You'll try valiantly to encourage them to get interested, use funny voices, entice them with mummifying, and they'll resist your best efforts. If you didn't already scratch that one off and just start the next one on the next history day, they'll spit out enough details about the very chapter they resisted so strongly, and there will be no sense repeating it.