Menu

Need scheduling help for large family

hsmom27

I'm going to have 4 elementary age kids to school this year and 3 littles. I just don't think I can do it. Is there anyway for anyone to do this well? I can (and will) list our plans, but I don't see how to cut anything without neglecting something important.

My ODS is accelerated. I don't want him to be, but there you are. If I don't keep him busy, he gets into trouble. My 3rd grader has severe autism (not many language skills). I feel like my 1st-2nd graders get shorted and they have their own issues. I have 2 toddlers getting into EVERYTHING and a 4mo. There aren't enough hours in the day to fit it all in.

I'm exhausted all the time, and not because of the baby. If you've schooled large groups of elementary students what would you, if you were me. 1) I could potentially send the 1st/2nd graders to school this year. It just seems like that would create a different kind of work. 2) I could also drop science/history for everyone but my 5th grader. My 1st-3rd graders love that stuff though. 3) We could take a year off. Really. Maybe even 6 months off. OR 4) I'm just being a total wimp. I should suck it up because anyone could pull this off. My brain can't seem to come up with any other ideas.

Here are our current plans:

5th grader -

AoPS Intro to Algebra

CW Homer B, Magic Lens 1, WWW 1, & Mosdos Pearl

Tarbuck's Earth Science

OUP Medieval series

Latin Prep 2

Breaking the Spanish Barrier 1

Critical Thinking 1, possibly2

Scratch

3rd grader - (autism)

MCP math C, MUS Gamma, possibly some TT4

WWW 3, GWG 3, WW 3, Harcourt Trophies Reading 3

Visualizing & Verbalizing

2rd grader -

SM 3 / Miquon green & blue

WWE 2, FLL 3, AAS 3-4, lots of reading

1st grader -

SM 1 / Miquon orange & red

WWE 1, FLL 1-2, AAS 1-2, finish ETC, lots of reading

3rd, 2nd, & 1st together - this will all be very casual

ES Earth Science & Let's Read and Find Out Books

(6) 6 week units studies on Middle Ages topics

extras for everyone-

Artistic Pursuits, piano lessons, theatre, baseball, dance, and swimming

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Hi Katherine! As I read your post my heart goes out to you! I also have several children and yes, it can be very difficult at times. If you could possibly group your children together for history and science it would save you time there. We are using Sonlight books and MOH this year for history. My older children will branch off into their own science but I group my 3rd,5th,and K'er for science using Apologia elementary books. I was shocked at how much my 4yo retained with the science-he loved it and its really easy to implement. I try to get the individual subjects done in the AM and the science/history/read-aloud time done in the afternoon. Science for the youngers is only 3 days a week. It doesn't always work out the way I like but I just do the best I can. I have also used read aloud time for bedtime. Keeping the younger ones moving is sometimes easier than keeping the older ones on track! I see you are using FLL/WWE. I absolutely love those programs and they are so easy to use. And I really know what you mean about the little one getting into everything-my 16mo is this way. Gotta come up with some way of keepeing him in the same room with us so he doesn't get into as much trouble! God bless your efforts to educate your precious children. I will pray that he will give wisdom and strength!

While I only have 2 of my own (one of which is a very needy 4-month-old), I am also a full-time private tutor - the students school with us full-time. Hopefully, your littles take naps. I try to get the bulk of school work done during nap time and then the olders can help out with the little ones when they are awake.

Try to get your hubby involved. My dh works A LOT, but he takes over the art and Spanish when he gets home at night and/or on days off. It might seem unfair to make him work when he gets home, but this is a team effort in many ways. My kids love spending the time with him, and the lessons don't take near as long for him to get through. It also provides them with some "daddy time." I would talk to your hubby and see if there is any area he would be able to teach.

I agree with the previous post about combining history and science. We use SOTW, and I find it can be used with children grades 1-8 (just vary the amount of work they put into it). Apologia science also has junior and regular notebooks, so the younger students can use the junior notebook while the older uses the regular notebook.

Try to block work so that when one student is working independently, you can give individualized attention to another. I often get my oldest going on an assignment (such as copy work, reading, etc.) and then give my attention to another student for instruction (such as math). It is fine if one student does math in the am and another does it later. We also do all work in the kitchen. I have baby gates up to keep the younger kids within eyesight and just bring in some toys they like. Everyone doing school work either sits at the bar or at the table so I can keep an eye on everything that is going on, even while working with another student.

In fifth grade, I would also limit foreign languages to one. If possible, let go of one of them. We did Spanish in PK-2nd and then started latin in 3rd.

In my opinion, I would also cut out some of the extracurriculars. This does not have to be forever, but a year off want hurt. We only allow one music class and one sport, but there have been times when a break was necessary. Their socialization will not be harmed if you cut back until it is easier to get around. Maybe art could be done during the weekend as a family. We use Artistic Pursuits, and we all love doing it (even us parents). I even through the 2-year-old in the highchair and let her at it with do-a-dots, finger paints, or crayons. She is a mess at the end, but we all have fun.

You will be fine!!!! Take a deep breath and take one day at a time. Don't lose yourself in this, and HAVE FUN!!!!! Don't be afraid to take a day off if other things have come up. Your kids will learn what they need to.

If budget is not an issue (it is for us, but I'll keep dreaming), hire a part-time sitter for the younger students. The sitter can entertain while you school. Also, I would love a cleaning person. Even if it was every other week, it could be helpful.

I am praying for you!!! Let us know how it is going.

I only have 4, but I'm trying to lighten my load as much as possible. I am combining them as much as possible following a CM schedule. Read alouds for history (with narration and a few projects thrown in), Apologia (Zoo 2), read-aloud, hymn study, combined Bible (Children's Bible, Catechism, memory verses), Artist study (with related art project), poetry and music (just listening), and nature walks. I don't want to get overwhelmed, so I'm planning 2 days of science and 3 days of history each week.

For one-on-one time, the littles will be using FIAR/BFIAR plus Funtastic Frogs for math (and ETC primers for 5yo). Older two will be using McGuffey readers for reading aloud (to me), copywork/dictation, and grammar. 7yo will be continuing ETC and I'm hoping to add a literature program for 10yo. For math, I purchased MUS Gamma and I'm debating using it for both, but it may be too challenging for DS. I'll figure it out when it gets here next week. ;)

I'm working on a schedule similar to this and I think it's genius for large families!:

http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/daily/blockgendaily/

Daily lesson will include:

Bible

Read aloud

History or science

fine art choice or nature walk

3Rs (1-on-1 time)

handicrafts (only on days without outside activities)

I'm also putting together some activities for the youngest...read-alouds, games, puzzles, toys that will keep her busy. I love that the schedule I linked to has a bigger kid working with the little ones! I'm hoping that will help our day.

This all sounds great in theory, am I'm waiting to see how it works out in reality. :lol: I'm also worried I'll be pg soon and have to re-work everything around morning sickness and a newborn...not that it would be such a horrible problem to have. ;)

ETA: I forgot about Spanish...I'm not sure how that will fit in yet, but I have a program we bought while back. They've been begging for this! It may have to go on Saturdays!

Edited by Holly

1) One strategy I have seen larger families use is to utilize the older kids to play with the younger ones. (I realize that your two oldest may not be of the right temperament to do this).

When one of your school aged children is ready to take a break, send them to do a specific task with one or all of your toddlers.

"[6yo], go pick out two books (either readers for school or baby board books) and read to [one or all of toddlers]; then play with them."

In this way

a)at least some of the littles are occupied

b)the littles get some academic exposure

c)6yo gets practice reading

It's WIN WIN WIN!!!

***Disclaimer: This suggestion does not mean that 6yo should be responsible for littles for an extended period of time or further away than the next room; but it should buy you 20 minutes!

Other rotating "assignments" you can give your olders for working with youngers:

--sing the alphabet to them and 2 other nursery rhymes (make picture cards to remind olders)

--color game, like sorting colored bears

--counting game, like counting to 10 with bears

--coloring, if your kids and environment are conducive to it (Some kids should not be let loose with crayons out-of-sight of adults).

--ring-around-the-rosie

--activities from "Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready" (Your library should have a copy.)

--building block towers

--playing with the pegboard

--running cars back and forth across the floor

--rolling a ball back and forth for the first 5 minutes of a timer

--do 1 puzzle with each little

--clothespins in a juice bottle

--any shape sorter

***Disclaimer: Assignment is not meant to take 20 minutes. Assignment will probably only take 5 minutes, and then playtime afterwards. Also, find a reward for your olders who "work" for you. Perhaps a nickel for your bank, or a sticker just before supper. Would it be worth 30c/day to have 6 periods of 20 minutes uninterrupted with specific olders?

2) Have a different box for each day of the week of toys that come out JUST DURING SCHOOL TIME. Monday toys are different than Tuesday toys, etc. Mom controls the box, and each child can pick out one toy at a time. (3 littles = 3 toys out) If they want a second toy, they must bring back one of the original toys out. No interrupting mom for toys during lessons. You must wait until she is between instruction lessons.

Toys could be:

--puzzles

--activity books (lift the flap, puzzle)

--play dishes

--big cars

--lego duplos

--pages to color (but coloring must occur within sight of the school table).

--something messy and texturous, like rainbow rice

--beads (spool size) and string

--------------------------------------------

You are so ambitious to do this! I feel overwhelmed in reading your story, but I know other moms have done this, and you are very capable, too! Your kids will not always be this little, and it will get easier as they get older.

:grouphug:

I was drowning in little kids at one point (not as many as you) and we didn't get anything done except the basics. You can always use videos to "teach" history and science. Liberty's Kids, Magic School Bus, others from library. I wouldn't teach anything except reading, writing and math for a year or two to your 1st and 2nd graders--wait a few years for things to settle down and then you can include them in the lessons for your oldest child.

I also second the suggestion that you utilize your husband. Mine teaches math in the evenings to two boys (sometimes late) and a science lesson on the Sunday night. Don't be afraid to use non-school days either. Saturdays and Sundays need to be open for reading lessons and math workbooks, journal time, etc. I would make everything as simple as possible and if you're keeping your head above water, add in one thing at a time. We only really get school done 3 days a week here (mostly year round) and not one seems to be suffering. If you teach half the lessons 6 days a week, you might be able to spread yourself around enough to get it all done. Good luck! It's going to be a challenging year!

Becky

I was drowning in little kids at one point (not as many as you) and we didn't get anything done except the basics. You can always use videos to "teach" history and science. Liberty's Kids, Magic School Bus, others from library. I wouldn't teach anything except reading, writing and math for a year or two to your 1st and 2nd graders--wait a few years for things to settle down and then you can include them in the lessons for your oldest child.

I also second the suggestion that you utilize your husband. Mine teaches math in the evenings to two boys (sometimes late) and a science lesson on the Sunday night. Don't be afraid to use non-school days either. Saturdays and Sundays need to be open for reading lessons and math workbooks, journal time, etc. I would make everything as simple as possible and if you're keeping your head above water, add in one thing at a time. We only really get school done 3 days a week here (mostly year round) and not one seems to be suffering. If you teach half the lessons 6 days a week, you might be able to spread yourself around enough to get it all done. Good luck! It's going to be a challenging year!

Becky

I agree with year-round and six days a week (although not full days). We do this and it helps us out a lot. As far as using non-school days (i.e. Saturday and Sunday), we use them as school days. Well, more Saturday. My hubby works Saturday but is off one day during the week. We use his off day during the week for field trips, or he just helps with the littles. On Sunday, we do family projects. I know some are adamantly against doing much on Sunday, but we use it as a family day doing some of the non-essential school subjects we all enjoy (such as art).

Can you combine more with the 1st/2nd/3rd graders?

It may not be ideal, but combining them in some skill subjects might make the year doable.

Could the 2nd/3rd grader do FLL3 or GWG3 together? Let the 1st grader "audit" and just do the memory work?

Do you have 2 dc that could combine in WWE? Can you go by the TB instead, and pull narrations from the history and science that they already do? Give them copywork. (Hand them a book. Copy this sentence.) Give them dictations in the same manner. (Grab their history/literature/science book and dictate. (You may not find that to be a time-saver, but I do this with my 3 and I think it saves me time...and some frustration/resistance on the dc's part.)

Can the 1st grader hold off on AAS? Can you combine in spelling?

Can you utilize the computer for some lessons? talkingfingers.com has a program called "Read, Write, Type" that would be appropriate and sufficient for spelling for a year for a 1/2/3rd grader. (I found talkingfingers after using SWR and the spelling rules/phonograms are consistent.;) Get the Jingle Spells CD.) Khan academy can be used in a pinch when you can't teach long division and regrouping at the same time.

I don't think you should give up, but (seeing how hard it is for me to manage my 3:blushing:) humor the idea of combining more and finding independent materials.

When overwhelmed, retreating back to the Robinson method works for some families. It doesn't mean you need to stay with it, and never add anything in, but it's a good place to RETREAT to when PS starts looking good.

1-2 hours open-and-go, self-taught, drill-and-kill math. It can be split up throughout the day. 1 hour free writing/copywork. 3 hours of reading storybooks, encyclopedias, biographies, and whatever can be tackled independently. Resources with vocabulary instruction preferred.

Even with just my tutoring students now, I can hit burnout. Last week was a hard one for me, and I had no enthusiasm or plan. I didn't even have math for them. I just made homemade bread and tea for anyone that arrived and handed out storybooks. I rested and planned.

This week at least I'm adding math back in, and have a whole new attitude.

With my boys (now adults) I've homeschooled through autism, poverty and sickness. PS never helps and only complicates things. When in the trenches, I've learned to first feed everyone, do morning worship (whatever that means to you, even if it's doing a daily draw of a tarot card or hugging a tree), the 3Rs, and then unschool the rest. In that order of importance.

I've done home day care in the 80's and 90's before laws cracked down where I had a LOT of babies and children, as well as neighborhood kids who wanted to be where it was all happening, and I grew up--sometimes--in a large blended family. I know what it's like to have volume of little people. Sometimes the more people, the easier it actually was though, because I understood my role as leader...and...put my foot down and was less child led. Some of my worst burn-out was trying to juggle the needs of my 2E child when it was just him at home, and getting lost in some co-dependanet behavior. I'm not sure if you know what I mean. Sometimes volume of people was actually less work, because I gave myself permission to do things differently.

1) One strategy I have seen larger families use is to utilize the older kids to play with the younger ones. (I realize that your two oldest may not be of the right temperament to do this).

When one of your school aged children is ready to take a break, send them to do a specific task with one or all of your toddlers.

"[6yo], go pick out two books (either readers for school or baby board books) and read to [one or all of toddlers]; then play with them."

In this way

a)at least some of the littles are occupied

b)the littles get some academic exposure

c)6yo gets practice reading

It's WIN WIN WIN!!!

***Disclaimer: This suggestion does not mean that 6yo should be responsible for littles for an extended period of time or further away than the next room; but it should buy you 20 minutes!

Other rotating "assignments" you can give your olders for working with youngers:

--sing the alphabet to them and 2 other nursery rhymes (make picture cards to remind olders)

--color game, like sorting colored bears

--counting game, like counting to 10 with bears

--coloring, if your kids and environment are conducive to it (Some kids should not be let loose with crayons out-of-sight of adults).

--ring-around-the-rosie

--activities from "Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready" (Your library should have a copy.)

--building block towers

--playing with the pegboard

--running cars back and forth across the floor

--rolling a ball back and forth for the first 5 minutes of a timer

--do 1 puzzle with each little

--clothespins in a juice bottle

--any shape sorter

***Disclaimer: Assignment is not meant to take 20 minutes. Assignment will probably only take 5 minutes, and then playtime afterwards. Also, find a reward for your olders who "work" for you. Perhaps a nickel for your bank, or a sticker just before supper. Would it be worth 30c/day to have 6 periods of 20 minutes uninterrupted with specific olders?

2) Have a different box for each day of the week of toys that come out JUST DURING SCHOOL TIME. Monday toys are different than Tuesday toys, etc. Mom controls the box, and each child can pick out one toy at a time. (3 littles = 3 toys out) If they want a second toy, they must bring back one of the original toys out. No interrupting mom for toys during lessons. You must wait until she is between instruction lessons.

Toys could be:

--puzzles

--activity books (lift the flap, puzzle)

--play dishes

--big cars

--lego duplos

--pages to color (but coloring must occur within sight of the school table).

--something messy and texturous, like rainbow rice

--beads (spool size) and string

--------------------------------------------

You are so ambitious to do this! I feel overwhelmed in reading your story, but I know other moms have done this, and you are very capable, too! Your kids will not always be this little, and it will get easier as they get older.

:grouphug:

This is an amazing list! I'm going to print it out for my older two to give them ideas! Otherwise they will turn on Blue's Clues if I tell them to keep my 2yo busy. :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about your challenge on and off all night! What a big job! I think the next thing to consider is to group them by relative ages. That means that you need to teach a multi age classroom and teach to the middle, helping the bottom and enriching the top as much as you are able. This is what would be done with one teacher and a lot of varying age levels in a public school.

Also, what about a mother's helper? Can you find a grandma or a young woman who could help you during the day or after school? If you go age 10 or 11 in a girl they are usually eager for babysitting experience and will even help for free!

Becky

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the ideas. I think the wine and duct tape was my favorite. Except I might substitute chocolate for wine.:lol:

My children are wonderful and loud. I think what I ultimately need is a vacation alone. I can't really involve DH more as his job keeps him gone for weeks at a time. I have zero help while he's away. When he's home, he helps alot. That includes making and freezing enough meals for us to eat while he's gone, laundry catch-up, shopping, cleaning, etc... And he takes the youngers out and about a lot for me.

I'm going to work on my olders taking turns with the littles during the day. I need to rearrange our work space though because there was a sharpie incident the other day.:glare: If I do that I can also crack down on the toys, and try rotating them out again. We used to do that. I also need to get back to my tot trays. If I can work out a system for keeping the 2yos out of everything I think I've got a shot.

How do you 'teach' 2yos to only take one toy and trade it out when you're across the table working with 2 others on math? This is where I'm falling down the most. What my olders learned as toddlers, my toddlers aren't getting taught. And I need a fool-proof system for keeping one of them contained. She's very self-reliant, physically able and TALL. Maybe I'll just hand out books and work on the toddlers for a little while.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'll think about it some more and see what other questions I can come up with.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the ideas. I think the wine and duct tape was my favorite. Except I might substitute chocolate for wine.:lol:

This is where I'm falling down the most. What my olders learned as toddlers, my toddlers aren't getting taught. And I need a fool-proof system for keeping one of them contained. She's very self-reliant, physically able and TALL. Maybe I'll just hand out books and work on the toddlers for a little while.

Definitely take the time to train the toddlers! It makes a huge difference, not just now, but also later. If you take the time to train them when they are young, it will go so much better/easier when they get older. I really wish I had know this when I had a bunch of little ones all at the same time.

How do you 'teach' 2yos to only take one toy and trade it out when you're across the table working with 2 others on math? This is where I'm falling down the most. What my olders learned as toddlers, my toddlers aren't getting taught. And I need a fool-proof system for keeping one of them contained. She's very self-reliant, physically able and TALL. Maybe I'll just hand out books and work on the toddlers for a little while.

Ok, maybe this is too much detail but this is what I would do. Take that wiggle worm, and find a safe contained place like a playpen or high chair. Offer them their favorite toy, or a new one they can't resist. Put them in, give them the toy,and set the timer for two minutes. Chances are, if yours is anything like mine, they will be mortally offended that they have been strapped in, throw the toy and spend the two minutes wailing. Do not retrieve the toy, just let them chill until the timer goes off. After that, I would get them down, and let them have more freedom. Repeat everyday until they learn that playing with the toy for two minutes is a lot more fun than throwing it and screaming for two minutes. Then slowly lengthen the timer. It's worth a shot!

I'd switch reading, writing, and math to a curriculum that's more self-teaching for the older ones. Look into RC (Robinson Curriculum) methods. You can do this for free with similar literature online. An Old Fashioned Education and Ambleside Online might help a little too.

Remember that the goal can be to just enjoy your family time. Focus on building character. How can everyone pitch in? Can the older children plan a craft, read, make puppets, play a game or puzzle with a younger sibling while you work with another one. That benefits both of them. Can the older one make up a story to tell the younger and perhaps the younger illustrates?

Lots of reading is great...books on CD. Use some educational videos. Listen to classical music.

Do you have any help? Ask for help from family, friends, mother's helper, church??? You could give an aspiring babysitter some experience.

Be patient with yourself.