Menu

Kindergarten math

sahmom4cj

We used Saxon Math K. It is very gentle, with no workbook for the kids. Near the end of the curriculum, there are a few optional worksheets you can copy off that consist of number formation, and maybe counting some objects and circling the number. Otherwise it is all games and manipulatives.

For Saxon Math K (if I remember correctly), there are two lessons each week, and the option/recommendation to repeat each lesson an extra time. We didn't do any repeating, and we flew through the lessons because dd was ready for us to so. However, I can see how having the extra review would be recommended for some kids.

Also, for our next dd, I will probably supplement with another book of (writing) math pages for extra practice; but I think that Saxon's optional pages (or to opt not to do them) is also the right choice for some children.

I also like Saxon because it has a good reputation, and it goes all the way through Calculus if we end up homeschooling through high school. However, many people seem to love or hate Saxon, so do a little research on these boards and on your own before jumping on the Saxon boat.

I plan to use RightStart Math, beginning with Level A, for my preschooler. I'll be purchasing the program within a few weeks. I haven't started using it, obviously, but I watched all the webinars on their website and read many, many reviews from all over the internet.

It is based on Montessori principles, it de-emphasizes worksheets, makes heavy use of the abacus, and is very hands on.

I have no reason to dislike Saxon math. In fact, I remember it from my own school days at my public school. I remember that it was easy, and I've really always been very good at math. What made me move toward RightStart Math is the teacher-intesiveness of it and the abacus and math games included in the program. I like enough of Montessori theory that I am willing to try this program for it. My child is 3 years old, and I think I'll have a better time of teaching her math this year through use of all the manipulatives, rather than teach her textbook-style from Saxon.

we use righstart B for kindy along side math in focus workbooks and a lot of montessori manipulatives. We like to see things from lots of different angles LOL

I use rightstart A for preschool and we actually start B right afterward so he is halfway through B as we start kindy

We're using a grade level behind, so heres what were using for Grade 1 (which is probably equal to your Grade K)

- Singapore Earlybird STD B

- Singapore Essentials B

- Miquon Discovery/Exploration Book (Primer, theres a blog link somewhere)

- MEP Reception Worksheets.

I basically hone it in with the eldest, so its put together like so:

- Atlas: Topics introduced with Miquon (Using Miquon/Singapore chart) Other Kids: Little C-Rod set & Miquon Discovery/Exploration Book

- Atlas: Normal Singapore Maths, Other Kids: Earlybird

- Atlas: Doing CWP or IP (supplemental SM extras) Other Kids: SM Essentials

- Atlas: MEP Worksheets (review and as a "break" day every now and again Other Kids: MEP stuff

This way they feel they are working alongside her.

Really it depends where you want to "end up". Some programs can start from K, so if you plan to use that program later, then start it now. Some programs lead better into other Math programs, and some don't.

If it was just 1 child I had in 1st (your K) I would just do Earlybird STDs and the Miquon Discovery, as my plan is Singapore as the Spine, and Miquon as the "introducer". I just add MEP in for something different, to change it up a little, and I only use the worksheets.

MEP by itself is a fine program, and has a good price...free. I just couldn't handle the setting up required (I'm not really into any sort of paper set-up, AAR/AAS took it out of me enough :lol: )

If your looking for a program, but haven't yet got any goals/plans for later on, I would suggest at least trying MEP, its free, so no wasted money, and you can just print out a lesson at a time, to see if it fits. Some people in US also skip Receiption and use Grade 1 slowly.

I'd say some of it depends on where your kid is at. I started at Saxon K, simply because it was my daughter's K year and it ended up being WAY too easy for her. It covers things like numbers 1-20, patterns, smaller vs larger. You can see the table of contents for K HERE (scroll down to page 7). My daughter was already counting well past 100 and doing simple addition and subtraction in her head, so it was a complete waste of time for us. We switched to Math Mammoth 1A which was a much better fit.