Menu

Math help, I have a melting kiddo

Emagine

My son will be 7 in Dec. While he is very ADHD and immature, math is like eating to him. He gets it, very easily and about to enter grade 2. We have been doing reviews, cards and CLE 100. He has just 2 books left. He is already doing mulitplication and eager to go to more then what he is doing but dislikes a lot of work in the workbooks of CLE. I even cut a lot of it out, still takes forever with now whines and grunts. He loves math, hates CLE.

He does not do well with MM with all the instructions on it. Throws him for a loop. But mentally he does the problems and moves on.

He wants to do TT3 with his brother who will be done in Nov. I am pretty sure he can do it, he begs, but I do not want to push him just yet if he is not ready.

I already ordered CLE Math 200, but he does not want to do it. Ideas? Unlike my oldest, this child is great at numbers and spelling.

Singapore would be my go-to choice for the kiddo you describe.

As for pushing, that's not something I'd worry about. You say he's eager; that's not pushing. However, TT would not be my choice for a math-talented kid. I'd look for something with more depth.

Edited by wapiti

I just switched this year from Saxon to Teaching Textbooks, and surprisingly it was NOT my children's choice! They were doing well with Saxon and liked it, and at first would not consider TT at all until pressed the issue to explore it.

Guess what? They love it and are doing well with it! I have the gamut from gifted in math (a 9 year old doing 6th grade in both curriculum) to a 13 year old doing 4th grade math. Down to the last child they all say they wish they had always done it, that they understand the math better and it makes more sense.

TT does prepare well, as long as you stick with it all the way through. I did tons of research before switching, and read over 400 comments on a variety of sites. What I noticed was people at lower levels complaining that it wasn't the same as others and didn't align, and truth is it doesn't teach the same thing at the same time as "standards" suggest or as other curric does. I also discovered that those who used it all the way through high school did extremely well on all the big tests, and in college, because they seemed to have a better understanding of math as a whole, and almost all parents were happy with the end result.

If your child is asking to do TT, I'd let 'em! It IS a grade lower really until mid-high school, at least as compared to other curriculum, and you'd probably do just fine, plus it reinforces math facts very well too.

Cindy

If you are looking for something for a mathy kid, my mathy son is really enjoying MEP math. He loves the puzzle type of approach to math and the fact that there is not an overwhelming amount of problems. He picks new things up quickly and is then ready to move on! That might help until he is ready for TT. You could probably start with year 1 since it is a different approach to math.

Often those younger kids who love math are just not ready for tons of "workbook" stuff. My kid is a math whiz, just turned 8, and is really maturing into more study. Here is a how a typical lesson goes for us: We are now using SM to have one more solid year before Algebra. I have used MM also and sometimes still do for practice. So we go over the lesson together. I work a few examples on the white board. Then I write some of the lesson problems on the white board and he works them with me around, so I can help if needed. If it's an easy lesson or I feel like doing some review we will even do that orally. Then he gets his portion and it is very few problems. Those he is expected and should be able to do on his own. If a question comes up I will go back to the white board, write a problem down just like it, work it out, and he can look for reference.

So, I think it's just not really developmentally appropriate for a 7 year old to be able to sit for ages or even if it's super easy, work 20-30 problems on paper. They just look at it and anticipate how long it will take, etc and have trouble starting. Except fractions. I don't know what's up with it, DS could do pages of those :001_huh:. This really works well for us. Some orally, some together, some on paper on his own. You cover alot more ground this way without him even realizing it.

And if he is asking to do TT, let him do it now! I thought you could have that for mulitple users. I have it and have seen it, but don't use it. I don't think it is very solid, but the TT3 for a 7 year old is FINE! You have lots of time to get a little deeper. I would say if you stick with TT, to make sure and go through even some of the MM topics that are covered lighter in TT3. But really I wouldn't worry if you have a 7 year old who loves math. What I WOULD worry about is if what he is given is making him hate it ;). That's the beauty of homeschool!

ETA: IF you can afford to buy a year of SM, I would really consider that. The textbook is excellent, in color, and works things out with pictures. Then the workbook exercises to follow are pretty short. Not at all intimidating looking.

Edited by 425lisamarie

Basically, you wonderful ladies have me with in my thoughts. I was bouncing around with TT3 but not quite 'there' yet. I keep looking at SM but really unsure where to start and it all the materials are needed. He is not into the whole 'Mom teach me numbers' thing unless he can not get it himself and wave a white flag. I also heard of Life of Fred but stuck there too.

Oh the life lol.

My easily distracted bright child did the TT demo and was mystified as to why anyone would want to use it. It moves VEERRYYY SLOOOWW. Even if you move up a level, the way that it teaches, and the pace with which new concepts are presented are...well...slow.

She is doing awesome with HOrizons. She loves the color, the fast, fast pace, and the different activities on each page.

(However, Horizons is a lot like CLE but with plenty of color so I'm not sure that will work for your son either.)

Whatever you pick, trying setting a timer and if your son finishes within a certain amount of time, let him go play for ten minutes. This pushes my dd to work very hard on focusing, and she really rises to the challenge.

Otherwise, she's pretty much upside down in her chair dreaming of rainbows and Redwall and the Owls of G'Houle. (Or whatever that movie with the really long title was.)

When they are already ahead and want to do something, I usually let them. What is there to lose?

I disagree that math whizzes need special curricula. In fact, they often need it LESS than the average child, because they just discover things without being taught. The worst advise I ever got--and I got it continually--was that my "gifted" child needed special things that were harder for me to teach. When I was in over my head, financially and as a teacher, he learned less and the household was tipped upside down.

Unless a parent is financially well off or has and amazing education themselves, most gifted kids are better off just moving through regular stuff a little quicker, and having more time to self-educate what they are interested in. This isn't the same as being stuck in a PS classroom, being forced to keep pace with the average kids, while the info is being dribbled at them, a drop at a time, and having to wait patiently for each and every drop.

If you have materials from the other siblings that you are familiar with, have already bought, and the "gifted" child is content to use them, then use them!