Menu

Challenging algebra 1 with step by step solutions

I am looking at doing a rigorous Algebra 1 with my son who is looking towards a programming career. He really needs to score high in SAT's as he looks ahead to college. Saying that, we really need a program that provides step by step solutions and is very clear and concise in it's explanations. Any suggestions for us?

Foerster is my favorite. Here is my review:

We used Foerster’s Algebra in 8th grade after completing MUS Algebra (easy) and LoF Algebra (challenging). With 20/20 hindsight, I wish I had done something different for 7th grade, perhaps MUS Algebra and Patty Paper Geometry. I was able to obtain the 1999 student book and 1999 teacher book used. I purchased the solutions manual new through Prentice Hall.

Pros:

• Clear, easy to understand explanations

• Explicit, step-by-step working through problems

• Sufficient practice and continual review of concepts

• Clear building upon and relationships between concepts

• Explicit demonstration of how to apply concepts to word problems

• Challenging, real-life word problems

• Solutions manual provides worked out solutions for every problem

• Solid preparation for ACT/SAT, sciences, college level math

• Amusing names in many word problems: Moe Delaune, Mary Thon, Fran Tick, etc.

• Math Without Borders DVDs available

Cons:

• None

Here is an example from Foerster’s Chapter 6 on the Quadratic Formula:

In Foerster's Chapter 6 they teach the quadratic formula. That's

x = [-b +- sqrt(b2-4ac)]/2a

(not easy to type here)

Within this chapter, they teach the vertical motion formula: d = rt - 5t(squared)

They have a section with 12 problems. The TM says to take 2 days to do these problems, but only do 3 problems a day. Here is the first one:

Football problem - A football is kicked into the air with an initial upward velocity of 25 meters per second (m/sec).

a. Calculate it's height after 2 seconds; 3 seconds

b. When will it be 20 meters above the ground?

c. Copy the diagram. Show the answers to part (a) in relationship to the 20 meters of part (b).

d. When will the ball hit the ground?

FWIW - I have a degree in math and computer science and ds is math-oriented.

HTH!

Introductory Algebra:

- Concepts taught through examples are very clear and steps explained well

- Plenty of exercises to practice

- Lots of review

- Real-life application in word problems and special pages

We'll be using the Intermediate Algebra for Algebra II.

HTH,

Pamela

AoPS Intro to Algebra is rigorous and challenging and has thorough solutions. Also, there are free on-line videos corresponding to each lesson. My understanding is that roughly the first 14(?) chapters correspond to the topics typically covered in an Algebra 1 course.

We're using Foerster as well. You can register with the publisher Prentice Hall as a homeschooler and purchase the solutions manual, which will have detailed solution for all problems. We're very comfortable with math in our house and so far we are finding Foerster to be a thorough, solid program.

BTW, scoring well on SAT's will have a lot to do with SAT-specific test prep work (e.g., working through a few SAT test prep books). Previous posters have mentioned a variety of good Algebra options and in my opinion your choice of program won't have a direct impact (positive or negative) on your son's SAT scores.