Menu

First day of Kindergarten?

MusicMama

I took a picture of my DD on the steps with a couple of school supplies, because my mom did that with me when I was a kid at the beginning of school each year. Otherwise, we didn't do anything particularly different. There is some sort of local "not back to school" party we might go to. It's full of outdoor activities and lots of mud and water, I think.

Each of my kids has a personalized "first day of kindergarten" t-shirt. Unfortunately, the woman that sold me the shirts for my older three kids went out of business before the fourth got to kindergarten, so we made his ourselves.

Last year, I made my youngest one of these and filled it with his school supplies. He was thrilled.

We make a version of a schultute for all our kids for the first day of school. It is filled with school supplies, both practical and fun, and little treats and sometimes toys. It's a little like a easter basket in that way. I roll a big piece of paper and then tie a ribbon from the top and hang in on each of their doors. All my kids think it's great.

We have a "first official day of the school year" tradition of going school supply shopping on the first day of PS. The store's empty, I have my list and each of the kids gets to get a few fun things. I'll have my third fresh kindergartener in a row, and we've never done anything special for kindergarten.

DD got to pick out a new dress for the first day of "school" . We took first day of school pictures . We rowed Ping that week so we went and ate at a local chinese restaurant for lunch and then we went to the store and she was allowed to pick out one small toy.

This year and every year after we are going to take a picture on the first day with him holding a sign (probably a white board) with his school year on it.

I am also going to fill out a page with his favorites, like favorite movie, food, etc.

Finally, my husband and I are going to write him a special letter and seal it for him to open when he graduates from high school.

Thanks for all the great ideas! I love the idea of special outings, Schultutes, yearly photographs and special treats. Now just to choose... :tongue_smilie: MY Dd is really excited about the much hyped world of Kindergarten, thanks to all the friends and strangers we see. "Wow, you're going to be in KINDERGARTEN! That will be so much fun!!!" There will be no incredible bus ride, new lunch box or backpack, it's still blazing hot so no new clothes, no new teacher or classmates to meet, it will be just like last year. And, we have already been working in her K books for the last couple of weeks so no new books. She is literally bouncing up and down with excitement that I did nothing to create, and now I feel like I need to deliver! Kindergarten is important, just not very different, because nothing is changing!

We do pictures at the front door with a sign. Here's a link to this year's pictures. I'm so sad, I uploaded all our first day of school pictures and videos to our desktop, which just died. If we can't recover it, all the pictures and videos minus the ones on my blog will be lost :sad: Anyway, I'm glad I still have some :001_smile:.

After the pictures, we go on a walk around the block. This year, after the walk, I gave them each a present. I got two of the Kohl's Cares books for $5 each and wrapped them up. Last year, DH took Pigby to the dollar theater to watch Kung Fu Panda 2.

First of day of school (any grade) I have our student take a picture, then fill out a prepared form with questions ranging from "what is your favorite color?" to height and weight. Then we go out to have breakfast or lunch at our favorite local restaurant. More pictures. Done :)

This year and every year after we are going to take a picture on the first day with him holding a sign (probably a white board) with his school year on it.

I am also going to fill out a page with his favorites, like favorite movie, food, etc.

Finally, my husband and I are going to write him a special letter and seal it for him to open when he graduates from high school.

:iagree::iagree:

We are doing this, too. I'd like to do individual pictures and family pictures just so we keep a tradition of doing family pictures annually.

Do you have a page printed out from a website that you found (Pinterest?) or are you using one you made?

Not sure if we will be doing the letter idea though, but it's something we considered.

I write a note to each school-aged child, welcoming him/her to the new year and grade, expressing my joy at teaching them, etc., and these are waiting at their places at breakfast. They love these and save them to refer back to them. This year, our 3yo had a note too, and he was so, so thrilled to be able to be a School-aged Child along with his older siblings. :)

We also do a "first day of school photo" with all of the children.

Loved your t-shirts for the kids! Where did you get them?

You know, I wish I remembered! I spent a bit of time googling stuff like "funny homeschool teeshirts" or "cute homeschool teeshirts" and eventually found those and ordered them online, but don't remember which particular site I got them from!