Menu

What have you done to help lower your cholesterol?

My cholesterol is 216-just found that out from a physical. My Dr. says I have very high HDL levels, which is good, but I need to get this down. Any suggestions on how to improve this number? I'm sure my sweet tooth isn't helping this-I'm not overweight, by the way.

by over 100 pts in a year by taking Cod Liver Oil. He tried to watch what he ate too, but wasn't always good. It went from 276 to 167 in 12 months. Might be worth a try.

By the way, did you happen to just have a baby or are you nursing? It is my understanding that levels are elevated for a reason at these times and do not pose a threat.

If you are a meat-eater, use fish (not tilapia), chicken, turkey, and egg whites for the bulk of your protein. Beef, pork, etc. limited to once per week.

At the same time, increase use of monosaturated fats. I use olive oil to cook, eat an avocado per day, and eat a lot of nuts.

Drink 1/4 c . of concord grape juice per day.

Eat foods with a lot of soluble fiber: beans, oats, eggplant, ocra. If you can stomach it, one study showed that eating eggplant every day worked as well as cholesterol-lowering drugs.

Keep a food diary. In and of itself, it helps, because it keeps you focused.

I read that eating oatmeal and grapefruit works. For two weeks before my test, I ate both those things daily and my cholesterol was very low. But, I didn't have anything to compare it to!

My dad lowered his cholesterol 30 points in 3 months by going on a South Beach type diet. He really decreased the amount of carbs and had NO sugar during that time and ate good proteins. His doctor was very impressed!!

Good luck!!!

I have done nothing to lower mine. I'm going to die happy. LOL

I had mine checked in February, but never heard anything back. I'm going on the assumption that all is okay. I typically watch what I eat, and enjoy when I mess up.

Laurie, how much eggplant? A whole one or a smaller amount?

I have naturally high cholesterol, which I inherited from both of my parents. I could eat grass and it wouldn't come down. I'm thin, exercise, was a vegetarian for 7 years and now eat meat maybe once a week. My doctor told me that as long as my good cholesterol numbers are high than it is okay. So I work on keeping my good cholesterol high by taking lots of Omega 3. My dad has cholesterol well over 300 and has had it my whole life. He is 80, never sick a day in his life, a vegetarian, a health-food nut who eats oatmeal for breakfast and lunch, and he jogs 5 miles a day---at 80.:001_huh: He is like a 20 year old, but he has super high good cholesterol (takes lots of Omega 3) so I don't worry too much about it.

I did lower mine with the South Beach Diet too . Getting rid of the bad carbs and replacing them with the good ( fruits and veggies ) . Its not a hard diet to follow after you get past that sugar hunger you have .

Oatmeal ( not the kind you pop in the microwave and are in packets ) , Omega 3 , Flaxseed Oil , or Cod Liver Oil . Cheerios :>)

Exercise , even if its just going for a walk around the block everyday . Start small .

Those can all bring it down . Now if I can follow my own advice again :>)

My bad cholesterol was up just a little bit last year but it wasn't bad . My overall cholesterol though has been fine . Go figure .

Mine is high too, as in 256. My dr wants me to take meds for it, but I have refused her every time. I happened to be talking to a cardiologist the other day and told him my numbers - my hdl is close to 70, and he told me I didn't need meds for it since I have no other risk factors. That was a relief.

Anyway to answer your question, I found that the only thing that makes much difference for me is regular exercise. I dropped it 20 pts in 3 months by going to Curves 4x/week. I quit, and it went up again. I'm jogging now and am curious to see what it will be the next time I get it checked.

It has very little Omega 3 and a LOT of Omega 6.

Apparently, eating bacon is better. :blink:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080708092228.htm

Wow! I'm glad you posted this. I had no idea. We eat a lot of tilapia. We won't be any more. We used to eat a lot of salmon too, but we can't afford the wild caught and the farm raised has the same issues as the tipalia. I sure wish they'd stop messing with our food supply.:confused:

by over 100 pts in a year by taking Cod Liver Oil. He tried to watch what he ate too, but wasn't always good. It went from 276 to 167 in 12 months. Might be worth a try.

By the way, did you happen to just have a baby or are you nursing? It is my understanding that levels are elevated for a reason at these times and do not pose a threat.

How much Cod Liver Oil did he take, and do you get it at any health food store?

My dh has 260 but wont exercise or eat right.

Jet