Menu

what's wrong with my iPad?

Last night I plugged in my iPad and it said "not charging." I was too tired to deal with it so just left it. This morning I checked it and it had only gone from 11% charged to 76% charged after being plugged in to the wall all night. What's wrong with it? I tried rebooting it and a few other things and it still says not charging.

Does the battery icon in the upper right change to show that it's charging when you have it plugged in? Also, did you plug it into a wall socket or just use a USB cable connected to a computer?

One other thing I've noticed about the ipad is that it does take a long time to charge.

Nope it says "not charging" there. It was plugged into the wall and I tried a few different sockets and they all say the same. I've never had it not be totally charged in the morning. So it is charging just very very slowly.

Call Applecare..likely the battery is dead, ie not able to hold a charge. They will have to replace the entire iPad, as the battery is not able to be replaced. Be sure to back up your iPad on your computer, so all purchases, etc are synched.

One other thing I've noticed about the ipad is that it does take a long time to charge.

Really? I think it charges pretty quickly.

Nope it says "not charging" there. It was plugged into the wall and I tried a few different sockets and they all say the same. I've never had it not be totally charged in the morning. So it is charging just very very slowly.

I agree with the poster who suggested that it might be the cord.

Did you say if this was a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation? That would affect my answer. Also highly agree with the others; it's very much more likely to be either your cord or the entire charger. My local Office Depot had replacement cords for about $6. I would definitely buy a charger straight from Apple and no other even though it's more expensive. The quality has been noticeable.

Eliminate it being the charger first. Much easier :)

Are you using the actual iPad wall charger, or an iPhone one? You definitely have to use the one that goes with the iPad. It won't charge via computer connection either like the phone will.

If its within your warranty, I'd definitely call Apple.

Well I feel kind of stupid. I had plugged the cord into my nook charger. I didn't think it would make a difference but it does. I put it back into the ipad one and it works just fine now. Thanks ladies, I wouldn't have thought of that on my own.