Menu

Can I sell our Wii?

Can i sell the wii?  

1. 1. Can i sell the wii?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

We were given a wii for christmas 3-4 years ago. We have a bunch of games, also gifts. It was from my father and his wife.

I am not looking to sell as a "need" but more for downsizing our stuff and reducing electronics.

Am i allowed to sell this gift?

Eta: i only see 2 votes, but both are a no. 99.9% of what we own was a gift. How can i reduce stuff? I have a huge, but not functional entertainment center, a wii, way too many toys, and just loads of stuff.

Edited by amo_mea_filiis

Yay! Lots of yes votes. Lol.

It has not even been hooked up for months. When it was hooked up, play was extremely limited due to ds's behavior. He would get so frustrated and was limited to Lego games (characters did not die). The most use it ever had was with netflix which has been gone since April I think.

How do i tell my father and his wife to ensure they do not get the kids any more wii games?

Why on earth not? It's a Wii, not some sort of family heirloom with deep meaning. :confused:

Please feel free to call my father and let him know this. Would you like his number?

He takes everything personal. He tried to give me carp for taking away most of my kids' clothes because he bought them!

I voted "yes", but it really does depend on family dynamics. Is your father the type to be offended? Do they still mention the gift and ask if the kids are enjoying it? My FIL is the type to be mortally offended if we were to sell something he's given us. DH still hasn't told him that he never used and gave away the leaf blower he gave us years ago. He used to give me a ridiculous amounts of decorative plates. I live in fear that he will ask where they are. :) One option might be to give it back to your dad as a "the kids could play this at your house" type thing.

Just...tell them.

Maybe "Hey, I just wanted to give you a head's up--we decided to sell the wii. Thanks so much for getting it for us, but it turned out not to be a good fit for our family. Just wanted you to know in case you were thinking of getting the kids more wii games for (insert holiday)." Keep it light. THey may feel guilty for giving a bad gift, esp if their love language is gifts.

They will probably ask what you mean, so you can say, "Well, sometimes the kids get too intense and frustrated with the games on it, so we gave it a break and have decided to go in another direction."

You could suggest some board games or computer games or something like that if they want suggestions.

Don't make it a big deal, or they might seek more information about your ds being intense, and be overly concerned and worried then.

Oh, and tell them you are using the money to buy...well, whatever. Maybe a museum membership, or swimming lessons, or board games, or...something fun.

HTH, just MO.

And you can say something like, "Oh, I thought it was a great idea, too!! Just turned out to be a bad fit."

"Bad fit" is a great little euphemism in all kinds of situations, I've found.

You have to let him have his reaction and own his own feelings. You don't have to placate him. Be respectful, but don't try to manage his anger/disappointment/disapproval. You are a big girl now. ;-)

Edited by Chris in VA

I would just tell him that the kids did not play with it much, or you can offer to let him have it for his house when they come over to visit. If you need his help, then I would tred lightly, but if not then just tell him straight up you need to get rid of stuff to keep order in your house.

Just...tell them.

Maybe "Hey, I just wanted to give you a head's up--we decided to sell the wii. Thanks so much for getting it for us, but it turned out not to be a good fit for our family. Just wanted you to know in case you were thinking of getting the kids more wii games for (insert holiday)." Keep it light. THey may feel guilty for giving a bad gift, esp if their love language is gifts.

They will probably ask what you mean, so you can say, "Well, sometimes the kids get too intense and frustrated with the games on it, so we gave it a break and have decided to go in another direction."

You could suggest some board games or computer games or something like that if they want suggestions.

Don't make it a big deal, or they might seek more information about your ds being intense, and be overly concerned and worried then.

Oh, and tell them you are using the money to buy...well, whatever. Maybe a museum membership, or swimming lessons, or board games, or...something fun.

HTH, just MO.

:iagree: If he's offended, that's really his issue. You can't keep every item that walks through your door forever.

(as an aside, we limit electronics so I would find such a gift to be quite presumptuous. I hope he cleared it with you before gifting it.)

Not being a good fit is a great way to tell him!

No gift has ever been cleared; The TV, wii, ipod touch, games, etc. The entertainment center was forced on me. Thankfully he no longer pays the rent (still pays car insurance, I'm working on it)!!! I will tell him next month and start listing things.

Thank you everyone.

WAIT !!! are you complaining about him giving you money??? LOL

Not being a good fit is a great way to tell him!

No gift has ever been cleared; The TV, wii, ipod touch, games, etc. The entertainment center was forced on me. Thankfully he no longer pays the rent (still pays car insurance, I'm working on it)!!! I will tell him next month and start listing things.

Thank you everyone.

WAIT !!! are you complaining about him giving you money??? LOL

Yes but not really! Lol.

Everything comes with really short strings attached. He gives me carp about everything i buy or do (using all laundry detergent instead of the cheaper stuff, not using paper towels or napkins but having a huge supply of cleaning cloths and white wash cloths). Many things that we do not want, need, or have the space for are pushed on us.

Now that we get rent help, instead of his help, i can start being a little more firm with things.

I get rid of a lot of things that are gifts from my mother or MIL. Generally I let the children play with or wear the item in the presence of the gift giver at least once. I used to be very guilty about how wasteful it was to sell these practically new things at the consignment store instead of just returning them to the store, but they would never give gift receipts and became angry if I did that. I have asked them to give less, but they haven't slowed down. I don't have the room for everything they give.