Menu

TV shows/comic books/books for GT kids?

My DD discovered X-Men Evolution on Netflix, and has really taken to it. She very definitely relates the teen mutant gifts with their accompanying disadvantages and the barrier that they place between the teen mutants and other teens with everything that comes with her giftedness. She only has four episodes to go on Netflix since they only have one season available right now (Amazon has more, but I'm trying to resist Amazon Prime).

Does anyone have any other suggestions? She's watched, and has on DVD, basically every Pixar movie made, and loves them, and has loved many of Andrew Clements' books for similar reasons. I'm considering trying to find the 1980s-early 1990s Excalibur comics, since those are many of the same characters she's enjoying in the show, plus Lockheed the dragon :).

Thanks!

My boys like Peanuts, Garfield, and Calvin and Hobbes.

As for TV they are quite flexible, I guess. Yesterday, for instance, they had so much fun watching Barney. You know, that purple dinosaur guy. Apparently, Barney needs some science lessons because he made many incorrect statements in his songs. They had a running commentary going about the merits of Barney's songs and the "tricks" the camera played. In general though they prefer things related to Star Wars.

Has she watched Avatar: The Last Airbender (the Nickelodeon series, definitely not the movie) and its current follow-up, The Legend of Korra? Those are really, really well done, with a lot of depth to explore. Avatar is on Netflix; we've been watching Korra through the Nickelodeon website.

DD11 likes:

Phineus and Ferb

Mythbusters

Monk

The Last Airbender

Redwall - the cartoon series (its actually pretty good!)

Shaun the Sheep (VERY FUNNY!)

Wallace and Grommit

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Jim Hensens' Story Teller series

and.... Jimmy Neutron

Guest itzhak3

As far as visual media, DS loves:

Phineas and Ferb (on Netflix)

Shaun the Sheep (also Netflix)

Holes

Ducktales

My Neighbor Totoro

Kiki's Delivery Service

Art &Music--it's on Netflix, I think it's by babyfirst... Basically, it's drawing, painting, sculpting set to music.

Mythbusters (Netflix)

How it's Made (Netflix)