Menu

Questions about binding your own planner

CatholicMom

What are the options I should think about?

I wonder if I can do it myself somehow?

I'm thinking a spiral-notebook type of binding would be *ideal*. Does Staples do that? (Anyone know how much they charge?)

I know a binder would be easier accomplished, but I'd like it to lay nice and flat and be durable because I'm planning to use this thing all year. But then again if I end up scrapping or adding pages, binders make it easy to pop the pages out.

Oh, the decisions...

Thoughts? :bigear:

I make my own planner every school year and have it spiral bound by a local office supply store. They usually charge me around $2.50 for the binding and the plastic covers. One year, I asked if they could put a heavy-duty clear cover on the front and back - and they did for no extra charge! This year, they didn't have the heavy-duty stuff, so I put in a cardstock page in the back and one just after my title page in the front.

I got mine bound at FedEx (Kinko's) for $5.49 each. One was over an inch thick, the other one was under an inch. Both were the same price. I don't have a proclick system, but that would probably be optimal.

I went to Staples and had them cut the binding off a bunch of books so I could 3-hole punch them, and they cut it really crooked. I have taken stuff there before and never had issues. The people at Fed Ex, well they do it all the time, so from here on out, my stuff is going there. Cutting binding was $2 at Staples, $1.49 at FedEx. So prices are probably comparable.

I bought some tabs that are like post-it note material and stick on your page and are removable if you want to move them...and I labeled where everything is. I did have some cardstock in between specific areas, but the tabs are great. They were $3.99 or something at Staples, but so worth it!

Good luck.

I just had an odd-size book cut and bound for $4 at Staples. I've printed off many things (MEP TMs, record books) and taken them to Staples to bind. If your book is too thick, it will be floppy (about 1/2" thick seems to be nice, the 1" MEP books are very floppy).

Whoa, it is way cheaper to bind than I was afraid of! That's good to know.

And I was looking at a Pro-click, too! My love of office supplies is telling me to order one for myself so I can zip-zip those pages myself and bind until my heart's content.. But the pro-click "system" is 60-70 bucks. Darn.

Anyway, thanks for the input. :001_smile:

I bought one a couple of years ago and love it! You need one! That and my laser printer have been the best purchases I have ever made for our hs.

I use the proclick bindings for all workbooks and our planners. For larger books I have some spiral bindings that fit the proclick puncture pattern. And, Office Depot only charges 75¢ to cut off a binding.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm binding my planner with my proclick binder. It is like a spiral bound, but the binding is able to snap open to add or discard pages.

:iagree:WE do the same! I'll be using this kind of plan for my 1st grader instead of scholaric like my two olders. I still love to pencil in for my younger.....We always add and take away....Plus, proclick makes that all happen!

I made my planner as well as planners for all my kids this year and bound them with a Proclick. I was hesitant to spend the money at first, but I LOVE the thing. It's already gotten a lot of use, and we haven't even started schooling again after the summer!

I'm binding my planner with my proclick binder. It is like a spiral bound, but the binding is able to snap open to add or discard pages.

I just got a ProClick hole-punchy thing a few weeks ago, and I LOVE it. I put together my own planner and had it spiral bound at Staples about 6 months ago, because I don't like the bulky awkwardness of binders. But then I had to give up the convenience of changing things around when I found a better arrangement (except that I cheated a little and had some page protectors bound in as part of the planner, and the sheets in there I could switch around, which was something at least). I put together another planner with a ProClick binding shortly after I got the thing, and am finding it to really be the best of both worlds. It "lives" just like a spiral binding, flexible and flat, and the pages turn very easily and stay open where I want them, and all that good spiral binding stuff. But when I decide I really want this section before that one, or think of another kind of list I really need to add in it's just a matter of popping it open, making the changes, and popping it closed again, just like a binder. Me likey very much.

Edited by MamaSheep