Menu

Hogwarts correspondence school

Mom-ninja.

Are there schools for these? Has anyone made one yet?

Oh a Star wars school would be so heavenly.

My boys love Star Wars too.

Except ds had some serious behavior issues a few days ago that got him expelled. Maybe next summer.

Oh no. :grouphug: I'm sorry.

Well, I asked my daughter what her favorite thing about it was and she said "Tootsie Rolls". I asked "What tootsie rolls?" She answered "The ones we would get when we completed a task." I see that was an educational success. When I probed further she decided The Care of Magical Creatures was her favorite.

Well, I asked my daughter what her favorite thing about it was and she said "Tootsie Rolls". I asked "What tootsie rolls?" She answered "The ones we would get when we completed a task." I see that was an educational success. When I probed further she decided The Care of Magical Creatures was her favorite.

All right then!!

If anyone is interested I just uploaded a file to Hogwarts A History it is about the founders and the houses it has assignment questions and an OWL exam as well as the text. I would love any feedback because I have no clue if it is right or anything I just got really bored on the computer today and started playing around.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HSCS_HogwartsAHistory/files/

If anyone is interested I just uploaded a file to Hogwarts A History it is about the founders and the houses it has assignment questions and an OWL exam as well as the text. I would love any feedback because I have no clue if it is right or anything I just got really bored on the computer today and started playing around.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HSCS_HogwartsAHistory/files/

Cool. I'll check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, thanks so much for posting this. We're going to do it in October for a few weeks. Going to throw in these two books for ds since he's interested in philosophy and just ordered some cheap ebay Gryffindor scarves for when they get their house letters.:001_smile:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470398256/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d11_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=03Y5G2KF12KK75C4R7CD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0751357790/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d11_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=03Y5G2KF12KK75C4R7CD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

You know, I had totally forgotten that I signed up for this Yahoo Group (just the main). I never did anything with it, just signed up. Now that I see this talked about again, I might try some of these "lessons". My kids are much older than what this is intended for, but we are HUGE Harry Potter fans.

I am going to spend some time looking at the files in all the groups...I feel the need to do something FUN for school for few weeks!

Wow! This is so completely amazing!!! I have joined all the groups and now reading it all through with hubby eagerly in toe...this is so us! DD 1 LOVES HP and I was watching it as I was in labour with DD2 so, naturally she is a HP fan too!;)

Just when I though all my homeschool planning was done....here comes another crash course - I have um, 2 days to figure it out before we go camping!

Thank you all SO much for posting this. I love this forum! Super!:D

I have um, 2 days to figure it out before we go camping!

By the way, this is SUPER fun to do while up in the woods! We did it one summer at our cabin. Hagrid sent an assignment that involved using a map (burned on the sides by an errant dragon of course) through the woods and requiring them to follow some strange animal/creature tracks to find some magical potion ingredients at the end that they then needed for one of Snapes assignments. Owl posts ended up in some high trees they had to climb sometimes. It just got to be a lot more naturey. We also did more nighttime stuff because it was more spooky being outside at night in the woods. Searched for giant spiders with our flashlights, made fairy houses and looked for signs that they'd been there over night, etc.

Wendy P

Oh that sounds SOOOOOOO fun! What a great idea!

I think we are going to start this on Oct 31st and try it for a bit....gives us some time to prepare and Spy Girl enough time to get into the rhythm of school and we love Halloween - this will be the icing on the cake!

I could barely sleep last night for thinking of ideas!:D

ETA: I joined all the yahoo groups and had about 100 welcome emails this morning, lol.

Edited by redgal

Oh that sounds SOOOOOOO fun! What a great idea!

I think we are going to start this on Oct 31st and try it for a bit....gives us some time to prepare and Spy Girl enough time to get into the rhythm of school and we love Halloween - this will be the icing on the cake!

I could barely sleep last night for thinking of ideas!:D

ETA: I joined all the yahoo groups and had about 100 welcome emails this morning, lol.

We are pretty excited to start too!

We've been doing it a couple weeks and I've run into a snag.

My 8 yr old didn't do his assignment to turn in to Hagrid. He's missed the deadline of when Hagrid said it was due.

I'm not sure what action to take. Sigh.

I don't know either what I would do that is rough! Are you using any special awards or anything for your magic school?

We've been doing it a couple weeks and I've run into a snag.

My 8 yr old didn't do his assignment to turn in to Hagrid. He's missed the deadline of when Hagrid said it was due.

I'm not sure what action to take. Sigh.

Send a Howler. I would make one of those Kootie Katcher things we made when we were kids. You know the folded paper things? The outside could look like a face or something and then in the middle when you open it up is in big red words GET THAT ASSIGNMENT IN MATE!! DON'T MAKE ME SEND ONE OF ARAGOG's WEE ONE'S AFTER NOW! TOMORROW!!!

Send a Howler. I would make one of those Kootie Katcher things we made when we were kids. You know the folded paper things? The outside could look like a face or something and then in the middle when you open it up is in big red words GET THAT ASSIGNMENT IN MATE!! DON'T MAKE ME SEND ONE OF ARAGOG's WEE ONE'S AFTER NOW! TOMORROW!!!

That is such a cute idea! i may have to steal that

Great idea. Now I need to remember how to make those things.

Are your kiddos still just doing the Magical Creatures or have you taken up another class?

We're just doing one class at a time since we are doing our regular lessons as well. Yes, we're doing Magical Creatures.

They have trained their rats to come when called by name. :001_smile:

We're just doing one class at a time since we are doing our regular lessons as well. Yes, we're doing Magical Creatures.

They have trained their rats to come when called by name. :001_smile:

That is cool! I am going to set it up s that every Friday is Hogwarts day. Maybe that will give them the extra boost to do their other work through the week!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my! I just requested admittance to the yahoo group. My ds the other day asked when his letter for acceptance for Hogwarts was going to come. Uh what? :001_huh: We start school tomorrow. I have the whole year planned and I'm already worried about how to accomplish it all! But I need to take advantage of his interest. Right? Well, maybe he'll be willing to do extra school on the weekends.

• 4 weeks later...
I finally posted my Diagon Alley Shopping Cards on my blog. :hurray: I had to wait for approval from the picture owners. ;)

I have them in PDF and Publisher on my blog. I also added it to the HSCS Arithmancy group. Though some of the publisher files were too big, I got all of the pdfs up. There are cards for single-sided and double-sided printers. I also have cards that have blank $ amounts and ones with $ amounts.

I printed, then cut and laminated the blank ones, so I can start with small $ amounts and change and get larger as they progress.

I plan to use them for ds6 and dd5 who love to play store.

My Ideas for Games

- Use play money, gold coins or practice exchanging the two like Hermione's parents.

- Play store:

-draw one card at a time and pay for each item individually.

-draw two cards at a time and pay for the total.

-draw three cards at a time, but pay individually, then combine the individual amounts into larger bills.

-draw cards and sort by store, then make a grand total for each store.

-find the items from the shopping list and make a tally for only those items.

-find the items from the shopping list by store and pay for each individually.

-give them a certain amount of money and let them buy some of the fun stuff.

-sort by type, for example, pay for all clothes in one.

GOOD JOB!!!! Did you put them on the yahoo group? You may wanna announce it. How are your kids liking it so far?

Really? That would be pretty cool!

Really. I'm to the desperation point to get my kids engaged in learning and that series is about the only one right now that they will literally fight tooth and nail over the books for. The problem is figuring out how to. We're FINALLY out of Ancient History (7 years running-long story). HP is just so much more conducive to setting up a theme and subjects, kwim? In PJ, there's not really so much "school" as weapons training and survival. :lol:

Really. I'm to the desperation point to get my kids engaged in learning and that series is about the only one right now that they will literally fight tooth and nail over the books for. The problem is figuring out how to. We're FINALLY out of Ancient History (7 years running-long story). HP is just so much more conducive to setting up a theme and subjects, kwim? In PJ, there's not really so much "school" as weapons training and survival. :lol:

Maybe you could do like a camping survival type class? First Aid outdoor safety something along those lines

I put them up there in the Arithmancy group. I'm not sure how I would announce that. I thought your weren't allowed to actually post messages.

I also posted my copywork book in PDF. It's just spell names. I printed out a list of all the spells and their meanings so as they are writing they are practicing saying it and I explain what it does. Then, it's wands out and they practice. That's their favorite part.

Ds went crazy when he saw all the supplies arrive the next day. He loves Wizards Chess (No Stress Chess). He was so excited to hear there were 4 different levels of play.

Today was supposed to be our first potions lesson, but it is also my grandmother's birthday and we went over there this morning. He is so excited about this he decided he was willing to postpone his birthday party a few weeks so it can be a Birthday/Halloween costume party with potions and stuff he learned in class. :D

That is a cool copywork book Thanks much I think you can announce stuff on the main group instead of the individual classes