Menu

s/o Grand Canyon...Anyone been in winter?

We'll be in Vegas for Christmas this year. We haven't been that far west in many years (we live on the east coast) and we don't know when we'll be back again. We want dds to at least see the Grand Canyon, but will it be absolutely horrible if we try to go in late December? We don't plan on hiking or anything, but we want them to have the experience of being there. Any tips or advice are very welcome!!!

I was there in February one year. It was absolutely beautiful with a dusting of snow. We didn't try to hike or anything─just drove around and stopped at the viewing areas. There were not many people at all. I would do it again if I had a chance.

I was there in February one year. It was absolutely beautiful with a dusting of snow. We didn't try to hike or anything─just drove around and stopped at the viewing areas. There were not many people at all. I would do it again if I had a chance.

This is what I'm hoping for! I know it won't be a typical active visit, but I'm hoping they'll still be able to appreciate it.

Yes - we were also there in Feb and saw snow. It was just gorgeous and crowds were very low. I LOVED it. Definitely would do it again!

ETA - my only comment is if you're driving in to be a little flexible and have some extra time built into your schedule. Roads can get bad. It was also not super cold (I'm from MN though!).

I went over New Years (25 years ago) and it was great. We hiked down and slept in the bunkhouses at the bottom. In the canyon was temperate but at the top, it was cold enough for my credit card freeze and crack in my back pocket.

We had recently moved down from NY and thought it was hysterical that they closed I - 10 for about a half inch of snow!

BTW, the hotel at the top was totally booked; we slept in the car the night before we hiked down.

Do be aware, to count on a visit, you will need to drive to the South Rim, as the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is at a higher elevation and receives quite a bit of snow, and so is closed during the winter months: "Visitor lodging and food services inside the National Park on the North Rim are closed from mid-October to mid-May . The road from Jacob Lake to the North Rim (Highway 67) is usually closed from mid-October to mid-May." -- http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/directions_n_rim.htm

The weather is generally temperate in December in Arizona, though there are winter rains (which is snow in the north of the state) in late November/December, so be prepared for possible rain, sleet, or snow at Christmas time. Check here for the average weather patterns at the Grand Canyon to know what to pack clothes-wise. :) Enjoy your visit! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Our best visit to the Grand Canyon was on Christmas many years ago. We hiked to the river and back; temps at the South rim were around freezing, but at the river it was in the 50s. In the winter, you can actually do some hiking - in the summer it is way too hot.

The North Rim will be closed, but the South Rim is open year round if I remember correctly.

If you are driving from Las Vegas to the South Rim have you looked into the Grand Canyon Railroad? http://www.thetrain.com/

You will reach the town of Williams where the train departs before you reach the road for the South Rim.

In December there is likely to be some snow on the ground. The worst of the Snow is usually later in February and March.