Menu

Educational Magazines

Our public library subscribes to lots of nice magazines and then we can buy the older editions for .25 :) You might call your local libraries and see if they are near selling any... That is the least expensive way to get the nice magazines without advertisements in them. I still have access to sell magazines, however I can only get magazines like Nat. Geo, Boys Life and American Girl at a deep discount - the advertisements in the magazines are where the companies are getting their money.

On the flip side, if money or a budget is not the objective then Cricket, Calliope, Muse, etc are AWESOME at http://www.cricketmag.com

I would like to hear other ideas of favorite magazines too :)

Our public library subscribes to lots of nice magazines and then we can buy the older editions for .25 :) You might call your local libraries and see if they are near selling any... That is the least expensive way to get the nice magazines without advertisements in them. I still have access to sell magazines, however I can only get magazines like Nat. Geo, Boys Life and American Girl at a deep discount - the advertisements in the magazines are where the companies are getting their money.

On the flip side, if money or a budget is not the objective then Cricket, Calliope, Muse, etc are AWESOME at http://www.cricketmag.com

I do think our library gives away old editions of Cricket, etc. Maybe I'll go ahead and check there.

Thanks everyone!

ZooBooks is nice an in-depth.

Anything by Cricket is absolutely worth reading or subscribing to.

Kids Discover Magazine is also in-depth and wonderful!

Someone on another thread recently mentioned "Time for Kids," but my kids are a little young for that, so you might want to look online or start another thread asking for opinions.

Stay away from National Geographic Kids. It is loaded with ads, and doesn't seem focused. If I wanted a magazine of factoids for Ripley's Believe it or Not, NGK would be it.

***Not to be confused with National Geographic Little Kids which is ad-free and very, very nice for tots!***

We get all the Cobblestone publications - Ask, Dig, Appleseeds, Cricket, etc. These are REALLY great.

My daughter also really loves Stone Soup. It's full of stories, poems, book reviews, and pictures, all done by kids. My dd9 has big desires to be published in Stone Soup. A beautiful magazine :)

Thanks for this discussion!

We have been magazine-free for years (happily so!) but after reading this thread, I went hunting, and decided to order MUSE for my boys. We'll see what happens :) I was scared off by all the subscription problems noted on Amazon about Discover Kids.

Jen

I subscribe to two of these and check out several of the others from the library. Many libraries subscribe, so one might as well take advantage of their availability!

Thanks for this discussion!

We have been magazine-free for years (happily so!) but after reading this thread, I went hunting, and decided to order MUSE for my boys. We'll see what happens :) I was scared off by all the subscription problems noted on Amazon about Discover Kids.

Jen

Yes, I saw that too, otherwise I think I would have gone for that one. Might try Zoobooks and Time for Kids.