Menu

Just got back from dropping ds off for his first mission trip!

He is going down to N C to frame a house with Habitat for Humanity And a youth group from Southern NJ. It was a fluke he heard of it and we feel God has led him there. He should be an asset to them as he is experienced with framing, plumbing, roofing, etc. He is also experienced on construction sites and with all sorts of power tools.

I do hope this experience helps him grow and he meets some new friends. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. This is my ds who battled Lyme disease over the past few years....what a long way he has come!

Faithe

What a wonderful experience for him! I'm sure with those skills he will be very useful there! My dd went on a missions trip with our church when she was in high school to New Orleans, LA. They worked with an organization that helps the victims of Katrina to re-build their homes and to share the love of Christ. Long story short, she loved it so much that she went back the next summer as an intern on staff and now she is on the staff as their communications person while working on her communications degree. It has been a wonderful experience for her. I hope the same for your son.

I am happy to pray for your ds and his team, specifically that he be on fire for the Lord, and for this to draw him closer to his Savior! My dd experienced nothing less than a miraculous healing last year that enabled her to go on her first mission trip last summer. God is so good.

Before she left, a friend shared that the safest place she could be was in the midst of God's will. That was a huge comfort to me, and if you are a worrier like me, I hope it comforts you too. :grouphug:

Please update when you hear something, or when he returns!

We'll keep him in our prayers. On Monday night, we pick up our dd16 as she is coming back from her first missions trip. We heard yesterday that the plane landed safely. So, now she's on the church bus heading towards home. I can already tell that she is really changed by the experience just talking to her on the phone.

I read an interesting article about how the teens coming back from missions trips and how they feel. Most of the teens stated that they couldn't articulate how they felt right away. They talked about how they left they felt blessed to go and help and came back feeling like they hated their lives because they finally understood the waste and consumerism that they lived in on a daily basis. Some teens got angry at their parents for things like going out to eat breakfast or buy an new pair of shoes. It actually caused some intense problems at home.

I could totally relate to the article because when my husband and I came back from a missions trip to Mexico we were really upset with how "greedy" we felt our kids were. We saw how little comfort their was in the slums and how much actual need there was and in stark contrast to our lives we felt guilty for indulging our kids to dinner out once a month.

I've been praying for my child daily and praying that God will help me, help her come home changed because of her new experiences but building strong relationships with all of us because of those experiences instead of building up strife.

God bless,

Amy

wow!! Lots to think about. I think my ds is very level headed and not much into consumerism anyway...none of us are....we live very bare bones...and use our excess to help others. That has always been our way of life....however, I somehow think my 8&10 year olds could use a real refresher!

Hoping ds has a true growth experience and even if there are thunderstorms and rain....at least they won't be out in the blaring 100* SUN:D