Menu

Film/TV Education?

zenjenn

Here's something different.

If your homeschooling home is like my homeschooling home, you're not big TV/movie watchers. Sure, my kids have their collection of neighbor handmedown Disney DVDs from when they were younger, but really, they do not watch much. With the advent of the DVR, there's not even channel flipping really - I pre-record anything I will allow them to watch and I must admit I am pretty much of a TV tyrant in this house. My eldest recently brought up how much more TV other kids her age are watching, and in the interest of being fair I checked out some of the show titles she mentioned - and sorry, I just thought they were all trash! :glare: I'm ok with her watching a few episodes just so she can get the references with friends, but I do not need a steady diet of that trash on in my house.

BUT, my kids are 7 and almost 10 and it occurs to me that their exposure to modern culture is almost nil. They have not even seen films like "Star Wars" or "It's a Wonderful Life". They have never seen an episode of "Lassie" or "The Twilight Zone". They have never seen "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

So I am thinking of signing up for Netflix and doing film education every Friday afternoon this year.

If you were making a list of quality films/TV shows/specials that you think might add to your child's lexicon of pop culture reference, what would you put on the list? This is for mid/late elementary age. The idea isn't that these are quality pieces of art or educational, but fundamental pop culture for the modern age.

Some that come to mind off the top of my head:

Films

- Star Wars

- The Empire Strikes Back

- Return of the Jedi

- Miracle on 34th Street

- It's a Wonderful Life

- Indiana Jones (original film)

- Ghostbusters

- E.T.

- The Sound of Music

- Fiddler on the Roof

- The Princess Bride

- Back to the Future

- Superman (original film)

Television

(Thinking should show them a few episodes of each.)

- Little House on the Prairie

- Lassie

- I Love Lucy Show

- The Three Stooges (I hate them, but they ARE key pop culture)

- The Andy Griffith Show

- Gilligan's Island

- The Twilight Zone

- Star Trek

- The Cosby Show

- The Munsters

- The Adams Family

- The Brady Bunch

What else would you add? :D I am specifically excluding shows that I think have content that I think at my kids' ages would be inappropriate (Like classic horror films even "The Simpsons" with its off-color humor.) Those I would add as they get older.

Edited by zenjenn

I thought of doing this sort of thing with my boys.

But right now there is zero interst in tv. They don't even like watching Disney or pixar movies. More then once we got a movie we thought they would like and they picked to go play in there bedrooms instead of watching. :confused:

So perhaps I'll get to do it when they are older.

I have an almost 8 year old and we don't watch TV or fictional movies either. We raised her media free until 4, and she just never caught any interest in it at all.

She has seen 4 fictional movies in her entire life--Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Mr. Popper's Penguins. I practically had to beg her to try them. We do educational documentaries, Discovery Education, BrainPop. She could care less about TV shows or movies.

I figure if she ever gets to the point where she cares, we will watch them. Until then, I don't think she's missing anything. I've given her the plot points for most of the other movies you've listed, and she's said no to each of them.

So, I'm not much help with your list, but just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one out there!

I laughed because I think your list highlights modern culture from our childhood and probably won't get your kids current on today's modern culture. :D

I'll have to think more on your question but... your list gave me a little laugh. If the idea is to give the children some pop culture references in modern culture, the list is outdated. To be honest, much of it would have been outdated when I was a child....

I'll have to think more on your question but... your list gave me a little laugh. If the idea is to give the children some pop culture references in modern culture, the list is outdated. To be honest, much of it would have been outdated when I was a child....

Considering all the "remakes" of movies and the "remakes" of remakes. If you just wait a few years all those shows will be remade.

:tongue_smilie:

We found old Lone Ranger videos from the 50s which my son loved. They were somewhat violent by today's standards, though. Also Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver -- all the old sitcoms are fun and morally uplifting compared to a lot of the shows today.

To be honest, much of it would have been outdated when I was a child....

When I say "modern" I mean like, TV/film in general IS modern. Similar to saying "modern history".

When I was a kid, I was watching many TV shows/movies from the 50s and 60s. "Gilligan's Island" was before my time, but when someone makes a joke about getting lost/and a "3 hour tour" or makes a rib about Mitt Romney/Thurston Howell, I know what that references.

My kids, on the other hand, watch next to nothing. And unlike some of your kids, they enjoy watching stuff and would welcome watching these things, I think.

Some good ideas here, keep 'em coming.

Edited by zenjenn

I love this idea. I think I might incorporate something like this, even though my son does watch & enjoy tv.

I would consider throwing in some classic Looney Tunes episodes.

Also, I would add The Ten Commandments, regardless of your religious beliefs. It really is a classic (and you get a bonus history/religious studies lesson).

Awhile back, we did a whole unit on film history. We learned how movies were invented and did some fun things with zoetropes and went to an awesome exhibit of Muybridge photos. Then, in addition to some of the other things mentioned, we watched some of the first movies, like From the Earth to the Moon. My kids especially liked Harold Lloyd.

I might include Jim Henson's work on your list - from "The Muppet Show" to the various Muppet movies, they're pretty wholesome and entertaining, and contain a wealth of cultural references. A retrospective of his work (that we went to, oh, 5 times) inspired my 8 year old to design and make his own puppets this past year.

This may give you some more ideas - it's our go-to museum for film/television: http://www.movingimage.us/education/resources

I agree that much of what's considered popular kid culture today is garbage - for me, it's the tone (snarky, snotty, materialistic) that drives me insane. We're a no-TV house, and while I occasionally do see that my older son doesn't "get" some of the cultural references his cousins/friends make, I see the reverse happen, too - and usually, the kid who is more familiar or aware of the context/reference is happy to explain (many kids love the opportunity to be authorities, no matter the subject). I think limiting consumption of media has made my older son a much more critical consumer - not so quick to dismiss (or embrace) a movie or show based on the genre or topic.

We love Mythbusters! Great science-y show. Definitely modern. We also like Nova and Nova Science Now. All are on Netflix. I jus love using TV for education. We also can look up certain topics and find good streaming video. My kids are loving Ice Age Predators series. Who knew?

I would add in Beverly Hillbillies/Green Acres. Huge favorites. Also Lost in Space.

My kids watch mainly oldies and love them. Dd14 can't figure out her "friends" love for todays stars.... Cary Grant is obviously superior! Her good friends get Cary Grant!

Here's something different.

If your homeschooling home is like my homeschooling home, you're not big TV/movie watchers. ... I'm ok with her watching a few episodes just so she can get the references with friends, but I do not need a steady diet of that trash on in my house. We do not even have a TV--and luckily neither do most friends, so it does not seem to be an issue. However, from my own childhood experience of almost no TV and being sometimes lost socially therefore, I would say this is a good idea if it means understanding what other kids are talking about..

BUT, my kids are 7 and almost 10 and it occurs to me that their exposure to modern culture is almost nil. They have not even seen films like "Star Wars" or "It's a Wonderful Life". They have never seen an episode of "Lassie" or "The Twilight Zone". They have never seen "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

So I am thinking of signing up for Netflix and doing film education every Friday afternoon this year.

If you were making a list of quality films/TV shows/specials that you think might add to your child's lexicon of pop culture reference, what would you put on the list? This is for mid/late elementary age. The idea isn't that these are quality pieces of art or educational, but fundamental pop culture for the modern age.

Some that come to mind off the top of my head:

Films

- Star Wars yes

- The Empire Strikes Backno, one is enough to get the idea

- Return of the Jedino

- Miracle on 34th Streetno, unless something else refers to it

- It's a Wonderful Life yes

- Indiana Jones (original film) yes

- Ghostbusters no

- E.T. yes

- The Sound of Music yes

- Fiddler on the Roof yes

- The Princess Bride ?-- means I've never seen it myself--maybe it is something significant I have missed, but I am unaware of the gap/COLOR]

- Back to the Future ?

- Superman (original film) ?

Television

(Thinking should show them a few episodes of each.) almost none of the things below unless something makes it a need to know.

- Little House on the Prairie

- Lassie

- I Love Lucy Show yes, one episode

- The Three Stooges (I hate them, but they ARE key pop culture)

- The Andy Griffith Show

- Gilligan's Island

- The Twilight Zone

- Star Trek one episode

- The Cosby Show one episode

- The Munsters

- The Adams Family

- The Brady Bunch one episode

Whatever has Ozzie and Harriet in it as they get referred to...see, I am lacking in popular culture so I don't even know. One episode of Bonanza. One episode of the Ed Sullivan show, ideally with appearance by The Beatles and you get a twofer. One episode of Masterpiece Theater being introduced by Alistair Cooke. One episode of Batman.

What else would you add? :D I am specifically excluding shows that I think have content that I think at my kids' ages would be inappropriate (Like classic horror films even "The Simpsons" with its off-color humor.) Those I would add as they get older.

I'd make sure they know who Mickey Mouse is, though that does not necessarily take a movie. I had a friend in college who did not and used to get teased for that sort of thing.

Something with Charlie Chaplin. A Marilyn Monroe movie as she was pretty iconic-- to American culture anyway, and in some ways was so even beyond America. A James Bond movie with Sean Connery for same reason--or choose the Indiana Jones that also has Connery in it--they are very violent though. I suppose knowing who Laurence Olivier was would be along same lines. The Wizard of Oz. One other big musical movie.

My kids, the oldest of which is 6, really enjoy watching Charlie Chaplin on Netflix. Good for showing the start of the film era compared to now.

They also like Bonanza.

I'm excited to show them musicals. Something with Howard Keel, maybe.

Also maybe something with Katharine Hepburn as another iconic figure? Maybe On Golden Pond which also had Fonda as I recall, and I think (but you would have to check as I don't recall it well now) it would have been okay for children.

Maybe something with Paul Newman/Robert Redford for similar reasons if something is child suitable?

I think Casablanca would be a movie that would fit for cultural understanding--but not suitable for young children.

Probably not fitting your pop culture goal, but I'd suggest Harold and Maude and The God's Must Be Crazy and Gandhi as worthwhile films (in very different ways) that many people particularly like.

Yeah, Pen, Casablanca was one of the FIRST films to come to mind, but I know it would just be boring for my children at this point... not only because of their ages but because they just don't have enough context to follow the film yet I don't think.

Loony Toons - YES! Watching with them would be good, too, because there are a lot of caricatures of famous old celebrities in those toons, too. In fact, might be good to show them those toons AFTER they've seen some of those celebs in classic films. See, I never let them watch Loony Toons as young children - I did not think the slapstick violence was appropriate - but at these ages, it would be fine.

All 3 Star Wars films are a must in this household. Their father and I MET at a science-fiction club in college. :D

And also another like Casablanca, that needs way more maturity, but is pretty iconic for our culture is The Godfather.

Ah, if it is a family thing, by all means, all 3 Star wars...that is different than just getting the idea for cultural reasons!