Menu

Pottery Barn: worth it or not?

Do you all think Pottery Barn Furniture is worth the cost or do you think it is junk?

I have read varying reviews online. I have never owned a PB item and I have never even been in one of their stores (we are not near one). I have been looking for an oval pedestal table and am considering these two:

http://www.pier1.com/Catalog/FurnitureLiving/tabid/981/CategoryId/972/ProductId/29427/ProductName/Ronan-Pedestal-Extension-Table--Black/language/en-US/Default.aspx

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/tivoli-round-extending-pedestal-dining-table/?pkey=ctables

I have seen the Pier 1 table and I think it is fine, except for when the leaf is in, it is a bit unstable at the edges. Maybe the PB table would be the same way? I do think the PB one looks more substantial and I prefer the way the feet turn down. It does cost twice as much though. Also at Pier 1 we would get 20% off.

I posted pictures of my bfast nook and kitchen here if you want to read all about my saga:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg071603349270.html?4

This nook area causes me an inordinate amount of frustrations. I have tried a variety of table that we already owned but none have been a good fit so far. We are just going to have to buy a table, and new chairs as well.

What do you all think? WHich would you get....or something else to suggest?

Edited by Trilliums

I have a PB kitchen table with 6 chairs and 2 matching bar stools. They are very nice, BUT. I spent a fortune on them, and wish I had shopped around some more. After I bought them, I found something very similar at Costco for about 1/3 of the price. I looked at the Costco one carefully and it looked like similar quality. So my advice is to shop around and be really comfortable with how much you are paying for the PB name.

BTW - I can't open either of your links so I can't comment on either of your choices.

I think I fixed the links.

We did just get a Costco. I will have to look at their furniture selections again, but it would have to be online as they had little furniture in the store.

I definitely need some kind of pedestal or trestle table there. Sigh.

I would build something from that ana-white (used to be knock off wood) website before I bought something from potterybarn

http://ana-white.com/

Yeah, that is a good website with some great ideas. Though building something oval shaped or round with a leaf would be a tough DIY project.

What about a rectangle shape? I think PB is insanely priced. If one could afford to deck the halls with PB great, but I certainly would not budget for ages to be able to afford it. You have a lovely kitchen and nook :001_smile:

I had a lovely craft table from Pottery Barn; I think I posted about it here before. It was given to me, but it was amazing quality. Right now, we have a chandelier from there on our wishlist.

You are definitely paying for the Brand with Pottery Barn. I do like the style of their furniture, but you are not getting great quality.

Ikea has a few wood tables, if you have that option, I would buy Ikea before PB.

If you are willing to invest in quality pieces, I would look at an unfinished furniture store and have it stained to match your cabinets.

I can't speak to regular Pottery Barn, but I have a houseful of IKEA furniture plus one Pottery Barn Kids storage unit. It has worn horribly, far worse than any of the IKEA stuff, and when I lost a shelf during a move and tried to buy a new one PBK was totally useless. Like PP, I love the look, but I would not buy from then again.

I also agree with the person above who mentioned Restoration Hardware. If you're willing to pay the money, I would take RH's quality to PB's any day of the week.

I would like to mention another suggestion too. We recently purchased a new home and almost tripled our square footage so we need a lot of new furniture. I am lucky in that our area has a plethora of amazing consignment/antique furniture stores. We have at least 7 or 8. Do you have anything like that within an hour or so drive? Most of the ones around here have free delivery and set up too, which is great. Anyway, those places often have great finds!

Good luck! :)

I love Pottery Barn but I agree that you are paying partly for the brand. If you shop in store as opposed to online, they frequently sell the floor model furniture at a significantly reduced cost (just make sure you check closely for dings because it's a final sale). I too love Restoration Hardware, even though it can be a bit pricey but sometimes you get what you pay for!!

I would build something from that ana-white (used to be knock off wood) website before I bought something from potterybarn

http://ana-white.com/

Thanks for the link; lots to look through. I know our limits though. We have used a table we put together from two other tables for a while but it eventually became too flimsy. I would love to build a table, but I know the tools, supplies and trial and error involved (for us) is not happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

Yeah, that is a good website with some great ideas. Though building something oval shaped or round with a leaf would be a tough DIY project.

What about a rectangle shape? I think PB is insanely priced. If one could afford to deck the halls with PB great, but I certainly would not budget for ages to be able to afford it. You have a lovely kitchen and nook :001_smile:

Thank you!

I did look at RH, but they do not have a table in a size/shape that works for that area. Crate and Barrel has tables very similar to the ones at Pier 1 and PB.

There are very few furniture stores here, be it new or used/antiques. We did do a day drive last year and spent a long time looking at furniture, but didn't find anything just right. Since I do not really love the breakfast nook, I am hesitant to spend a large amount of $$ on furniture of it. I am trying to figure out how to make cushions because ordering them will just be far too much. I want to get it to a more functional state, but realize it will never be an ideal spot for us.

I have been looking at tons of pictures on Houzz and my eyeballs feel as though they are about to drop out of my poor little head!

Thanks for the link; lots to look through. I know our limits though. We have used a table we put together from two other tables for a while but it eventually became too flimsy. I would love to build a table, but I know the tools, supplies and trial and error involved (for us) is not happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

Thank you!

I did look at RH, but they do not have a table in a size/shape that works for that area. Crate and Barrel has tables very similar to the ones at Pier 1 and PB.

There are very few furniture stores here, be it new or used/antiques. We did do a day drive last year and spent a long time looking at furniture, but didn't find anything just right. Since I do not really love the breakfast nook, I am hesitant to spend a large amount of $$ on furniture of it. I am trying to figure out how to make cushions because ordering them will just be far too much. I want to get it to a more functional state, but realize it will never be an ideal spot for us.

I have been looking at tons of pictures on Houzz and my eyeballs feel as though they are about to drop out of my poor little head!

Have you tried watching Craigslist/Freecycle?

I was going to suggest Ana White too. If you have a lowe's near you, you can have them do all the cuts (sometimes they charge you 25 cents, but usually they forget that and cut the wood for free). Assembling is really no more difficult than assembling a piece of furniture, and it's solid wood without toxins. Just choose an easy plan.

If you absolutely don't want to build it yourself, check her website for people who live near you that will build for other people. You can probably get a handmade table for the cost of materials + $100. It takes more time to go pick out wood, cut it, and get it home than it does to assemble a table. Then either they could finish it for you or you could do that yourself. If you live near me (Iowa), I could probably build it for you.

I bought a Pottery Barn table almost 20 years ago and it's held up well. I think PB quality is better than Pier 1.

I went to an antique fair this weekend and saw a ton of beautiful round tables for really good prices. Do you have any flea markets or antique fairs near you? I'd look for a deal on something used first.

I think it depends on the particular item in question. (for example, we have some of the toy storage units, shelving and cubbies, and no, they're not particularly high quality)

I've had some luck with a few things at Crate and Barrel (look for floor models for sale at a discount!), though other things like storage pieces may be similar to PB.

When I'm buying "real" real furniture, I usually buy from Room & Board, though they've gotten rid of some of the lines I liked, so I have wood-choice issues with them. Not inexpensive.