Menu

Hold my hand...buying refurbished Ipod Touch

My older kids are working toward saving for an ipod touch, but we don't know what, where, or how to buy. We own a regular ipod, but other than that, we have no electronic gaming systems, smart phones, or anything. We are technology illiterate, and we need your help!

So....what should we look at purchasing and why? Which generation? How much storage? Where is the best place to buy refurbs? What about accessories?

I am sure that the newest generation with the most memory is optimal, but we are looking at balancing function with cost. I want this to last them a while, not look "old" to other kids, and yet not take them years to save enough money.

We have four 2nd generation iPod Touches. Two were bought new and two were bought, or traded for, on my husband's gaming forum.

I would recommend getting at least 3rd generation. We are beginning to run into app issues because you're not able to upgrade iOS 5 and they're developing all the apps for iOS 5 (and beyond).

We've never had storage issues and we have 3 8 GB and one 16 GB.

Speck rubber cases are good and cheap on Amazon.

I would defiantly get one with the camera/video camera. You can make the photos look crazy:D. My dc have really enjoyed making crazy photos and making home movies.

How much memory you want is determined my how much you want to manage the iPod. My dc have the lowest memory because that was what was on sale at Christmas. It is more difficult with lower memory. The lowest memory can hold around 2 movies 2 cd's and 10'ish or so apps. My dd are always getting free apps and taking off old ones. I never buy apps.

When you get your iPod touch, make sure you go into settings and set a password. You can set age limits for the apps so your dc can't access anything inappropriate. Also you can set it so they can't download anything without a password. You also need to set it so they can't buy in-app games. Apps are always trying to sell you extra game stuff and if you don't set it right, it can cost you $. Ask me how I know:tongue_smilie:.

Once you get our iPod touch, if you want help you can pm me.

I would defiantly get one with the camera/video camera. You can make the photos look crazy:D. My dc have really enjoyed making crazy photos and making home movies.

How much memory you want is determined my how much you want to manage the iPod. My dc have the lowest memory because that was what was on sale at Christmas. It is more difficult with lower memory. The lowest memory can hold around 2 movies 2 cd's and 10'ish or so apps. My dd are always getting free apps and taking off old ones. I never buy apps.

When you get your iPod touch, make sure you go into settings and set a password. You can set age limits for the apps so your dc can't access anything inappropriate. Also you can set it so they can't download anything without a password. You also need to set it so they can't buy in-app games. Apps are always trying to sell you extra game stuff and if you don't set it right, it can cost you $. Ask me how I know:tongue_smilie:.

Once you get our iPod touch, if you want help you can pm me.

I think movies must be the memory killer. We don't put movies on ours, but have the Netflix app to watch them. We all probably have >30 apps and >200 songs. My kids are fixated on youtube videos for their interests.

Thank you for all the great advice!

Memory is one of my biggest qualms. I keep reading to get as much as you can, but I'm not sure what we would do with all of it. I know they will want music and apps. I assume music doesn't take much memory and apps can take a lot....but I don't know how much a lot is. Movies probably do take quite a bit of memory, but I doubt they will keep many movies on their devices.

May I ask which generation this is? Is it 3rd+ or just 4th? I think my dd would love a camera/video camera.

At apple.com, a refurbished 8 GB is $169 and the 32GB is $249. Those are both the current generation with the camera. I have an 8 GB and the memory has not been a problem. I don't have movies on it, though. I currently have 359 songs, 342 photos, and 64 apps on it.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for all the great advice!

Memory is one of my biggest qualms. I keep reading to get as much as you can, but I'm not sure what we would do with all of it. I know they will want music and apps. I assume music doesn't take much memory and apps can take a lot....but I don't know how much a lot is. Movies probably do take quite a bit of memory, but I doubt they will keep many movies on their devices.

I got an ipod Touch almost 2 years ago (in October of 2010). I believe it is 3rd generation.

It has TONS of apps on it, and several audio books as well as Kindle books (from before I got my Kindle). Not much music. No videos. I got the 32 gig version. I've got 5.4 gig used and 23.1 gig available.

Music takes up 1.8 gig

No, the 3g does not have a camera. You have to go with the newest 4g for that and spend more money.

My dd had the 3g for 2 years and has now passed it down to her little brother. It was an 8gig refurb from the Apple website. Never had a problem. We do not buy and keep movies though. We have rented them once or twice and then they delete after 24 hours. We are now finding that some of the apps my son wants, mostly racing games, will not work on the 3g.

My dd now has a 4g and still 8gig. She loves the camera. 8gig has been fine because it easily stores all her music but the memory keeps her keeping only the apps she really uses and likes on there. We upload her photos regularly to my laptop so we don't have storage issues with photos, but I also make sure she keeps just what is worthy of saving. She uses it mostly for music and texting.

In a perfect world you'd get the latest/greatest, but that's not always possible. If you can afford to go with the newest 4g (refurbed from Apple) you can still go with the lowest memory (8gig) and manage it just fine.

And follow the advice above and lock that thing down. I have removed YouTube and Safari. And set her apps to under age 9 (even though she's 12) No in app purchases allowed. I'm not ready to kick open the door to the online world unsupervised just yet.