Menu

Anyone having trouble with people failing to follow up on items they want to buy?

I have had several people ask about items or saying they want to know if such and such is still available. I email or message them back and then I never hear from them again. I have not had this happen much until this year.

Does anyone else find this rude and disrespectful?

What is up with that anyway? Am I wrong?

And, then people just seem to want us to 'give away' the curriculum. I have items listed for dirt cheap and people send me emails offering to pay less. I want the cheapest price like anyone else, but I just can't afford to give items away. I have been selling items for at least 13 years and this year seems to be the absolute worst! If I don't sell my curriculum, I can't buy curriculum.

Anyone else having issues of this sort?

Tamra

I think a lot of people are on limited budgets and 1) need the very best deal; 2) need to know all their options before making a final purchase. Obviously, they can't even put your item on their list of possibilities if they don't know if it's still available. A lot of people only use Paypal for transactions as well. I know I would have to get a really good deal to go through the trouble of making a non-Paypal purchase.

Each customer is a potential purchaser, think of them in that light rather than as someone who is rude and wasting your time. ;)

I am being totally honest here, because you did ask- But the minute I saw the first line of one of your recent "for sale" posts I mentally put you on my list of folks who I wouldn't buy from, the language came across as very hostile. You may be frustrated, but it's probably best not to tell people that up front.

While it might not be the best of manners, and I do my best to email everyone that I contact or that contacts me, it happens and I think it's all just part of buying/selling used curriculum. You're going to get a wide variety of personalities from those sweet, kind mommas to the very straight forward/rude people that only type in short, clipped 1/2 sentences. I get emails like that sometimes, but I don't let it frustrate me. I just blow it off and move on to the next person interested. I definately don't think I'd start off a "for sale" ad with how frustrated I was...that will probably turn a bunch of people off before they even see what you are selling. I hope you have better luck...

=

I am being totally honest here, because you did ask- But the minute I saw the first line of one of your recent "for sale" posts I mentally put you on my list of folks who I wouldn't buy from, the language came across as very hostile. You may be frustrated, but it's probably best not to tell people that up front.

:iagree:I said the same thing to myself and closed the window without reading the sale listing

Once or twice I have asked a person about something they are selling, and then not purchased. This normally happens if

1. I made a split second interested decision, and then had time to think about it while waiting for their response and decided to go another way after reconsidering.

2. I was able to google a better deal elsewhere while waiting on their decision

3. I got icky warning bells from their response

4. they were unable to answer questions or the product was not what I thought it was.

Normally its a "Me not You" thing... money is tight, and if I am going to buy used, I have to really know what I am getting, and really want it to finish the purchase. I have made many many more purchases than I care to admit, but have backed out of a few.

I've had that happen a few times. I usually send another email with a deadline- ie I need to hear back by such and such time/day or I'm moving on to the next buyer. If I don't hear from them then I consider that they don't want it and I don't wait a real long time either, especially if it is a popular item.

I've only been haggled a few times about prices and usually not by a great amount. If it is a reasonable price I say yes, if I have lots of other people interested or it is unreasonable then I'd just say no.

ITA though your postings sound a bit rude and I'd be more stand offish of buying from someone who only posts to sell with so few reviews.

I see what everyone is saying. I WILL say that I do not usually have that first line in my posts --- my original postings had nothing of the kind in it. This was only after many, many, many people not getting back to me after their initial emails. I suppose it is just part of our society today. It is not the way that I was raised, but I guess I need to learn to respond differently. In the future, I will just delete the emails and move on to the next buyer.

I do like the suggestion of requesting that they get back to me within a certain time period. :iagree: But, then, doesn't that come across as being rude too? It is so difficult to 'type' things that people won't take personal....it's the devils way of getting a foothold even on the internet.

Well, thanks for the suggestions. I am not trying to be rude at all, really. Sorry if it came across that way. I am frustrated, no doubt. It would just be nice if people would take a couple seconds to reply saying they don't want an item. I even had someone make me an offer at almost half the price I listed it for. I have accepted many negotiable offers in the past that were very reasonable, but sometimes people come across as 'begging' for me to give them something. Those are the ones I am referring to. It just seems it has gotten dynamically worse this year for some reason. I have not had so many issues like this in the past -- hence, my frustration, I guess.

Someone mentioned the reviews. I have successfully sold loads of curriculum over the past 13 years and have had lots of happy buyers and I have successfully purchased lots of items as well. I just don't think that many people write reviews of people. I don't think it is a very accurate method of telling if someone is good to buy from or not. Just not that many people write things. So, I am not sure I agree with that so much.

It is what it is and I will have to just keep my frustrations out of the posting. The way I choose to respond is totally up to me and thanks for keeping me accountable. I will continue to work on that ladies.

God bless and thanks for your advice! :D

FWIW I don't buy from anyone who is not going to want to use paypal or who "might" be willing to use paypal. If someone is only wanting check or money order I am not even going to bother.

There has been too many problems with people getting ripped off for me to even consider it. And...the number of people getting ripped off may well have to do with the reduction in people willing to buy something off someone online, particularly someone they don't "know." This is your first post outside of the for sale forums in four years. I would try getting out more.

I would also ASK people to review if they are happy with the transaction.

A lot of people who want reduced prices on things are resellers. I wouldn't do it.

Edited by Sis

I've had a lot of people asking me to lower my prices even more. As in WAY more. To ridiculous levels - ones that will barely cover shipping! I don't do it. And, I tell them why.

The other stuff about being contacted once and then not again, doesn't bother me. It'd be nice to hear back, but if I don't, I don't worry about it.

Someone mentioned the reviews. I have successfully sold loads of curriculum over the past 13 years and have had lots of happy buyers and I have successfully purchased lots of items as well. I just don't think that many people write reviews of people. I don't think it is a very accurate method of telling if someone is good to buy from or not. Just not that many people write things. So, I am not sure I agree with that so much.

I'm not saying it is an accurate representation of whether or not you are a good seller. However, there isn't much to go on and if you don't have many reviews and people don't "know" you because you don't post it could hamper sales. People get skittish when they get ripped off and it makes them more cautious, so that could affect sales as well. Or it could just be people being people, whoever knows.

I had that happen lots last year. I learned to always put in my reply when I expected a response by so that I could move to the next buyer. Usually I gave about 24 hours, but no more.

As far as the low offers, I am not offended either. I just say that I can't, or that if I accept that price then they have to pay shipping in addition. Sometimes I have sold at the cheap prices because some money is better than none, and the longer I keep it the more likely it will no longer be the latest edition or desirable.

But I can honestly understand some low ball prices. Our budget has dropped by over half and we are having problems making ends meet. I still haven't bought for my dd and don't know where I will find the money for what I want to use with her next year.

SIS -- I'm sorry to hear you have been ripped off. Taking checks or money orders only is ONLY in order to keep the price of the items down. I have not priced my items to help cover the paypal fees. I have paypal and like to use it, but that means raising the price. It has nothing to do with anything other than that. We are not technically allowed to charge for the fees, but rather price the items to help cover the costs.

It is sad that we have come to that these days that we cannot even trust people to write them a check. Again, I am sorry this has happened to you, but that is not the reason I take only checks or money order.

Sound like to me that I am just going to have to raise my prices a little, which seems crazy to me :(, in order to take paypal again. But, I do need to make something off of the books, so I can purchase the books I need. If I don't make anything, then I can't buy my books either.

God bless!

DOBELA -- I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It is hard these days -- for everyone! I know! My hubby didn't get his bonus this year (a tenth of his income), we had a daughter get married and now we are without power (from a storm on Friday).....so things are costing us a bit much right now --- need to go out to eat, buying lots of gasoline for the generator, things like that.......It has been a tough year for all of us I think!

We will all make it! God will provide!

DOBELA -- I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It is hard these days -- for everyone! I know! My hubby didn't get his bonus this year (a tenth of his income), we had a daughter get married and now we are without power (from a storm on Friday).....so things are costing us a bit much right now --- need to go out to eat, buying lots of gasoline for the generator, things like that.......It has been a tough year for all of us I think!

We will all make it! God will provide!

I believe we will make it, and I am starting to feel this is the new reality. Especially with the new tax the Supreme court approved. We are now living under the poverty level and dh has been looking for a new job since November. Without the help of family we would have lost our home by now.

As far as raising prices to cover paypal, as a buyer that doesn't bother me. To buy a money order I would have to drive into town, pay the MO fee, and then drive home. With the price of gas, and the fees, Paypal is a cheaper option for me as the buyer.

Yes, I had quite a few items I was trying to sell and got jerked around by several people, wanting shipping quotes or different packages and then backing out. I am not eating shipping costs and I can't help what it costs to ship a book. People wanted things for free. :glare:

I believe we will make it, and I am starting to feel this is the new reality. Especially with the new tax the Supreme court approved. We are now living under the poverty level and dh has been looking for a new job since November. Without the help of family we would have lost our home by now.

I don't believe the Supreme Court has approved any tax that isn't subsidized for lower incomes.

As far as raising prices to cover paypal, as a buyer that doesn't bother me. To buy a money order I would have to drive into town, pay the MO fee, and then drive home. With the price of gas, and the fees, Paypal is a cheaper option for me as the buyer.

I agree, in the long run paypal fees are less than the trouble and costs of MOs

I have checks but I am not sending anyone a check, someone stole bills from our mailbox, cleaned the checks and used them.

Edited by Sis

Funded paypay does not have the CC fees. If I were you I would edit the content of that for sale add. I am not the only poster with clearly nothing better to do than to look it up out of curiosity. I wouldn't buy something from you off this ad. You are not doing me a favor by selling me something. You have something I want, I buy it. Business deal done. I do not want any emotions or feelings attached. I am good with correspondence however I do not expect a follow up if someone just asked "is this available." If I say yes it is and do not hear back I assume mind was changed and move on.

PayPal costs to use. Postage paid by seller costs to send, even media mail costs.

Online selling in any venue brings out scams of all kinds. Just imagine if you added credit card charge backs to your selling venture.

On this boards it is a matter of operating on good faith. If people don't follow up and give a confirmation of purchase, then figure they're not interested. You can always state your sale police in your listing so buyers understand your selling boundaries.

A way around the shipping costs, and to save yourself some hassle, is to incorporate the cost of shipping into the asking price of the item, then say free shipping. I know it is a bit deceptive, yet it neutralizes any conflict over shipping costs. How do you think Amazon can offer free shipping.

FWIW I don't buy from anyone who is not going to want to use paypal or who "might" be willing to use paypal. If someone is only wanting check or money order I am not even going to bother.

There has been too many problems with people getting ripped off for me to even consider it. And...the number of people getting ripped off may well have to do with the reduction in people willing to buy something off someone online, particularly someone they don't "know." This is your first post outside of the for sale forums in four years. I would try getting out more.

I would also ASK people to review if they are happy with the transaction.

A lot of people who want reduced prices on things are resellers. I wouldn't do it.

:iagree: I have had people fail to get back to me after an inquiry over something I was selling. I don't get bothered by it. Lord knows I've had my share of power outages, internet outages, long days, emergencies, and airheadedness. Sometimes I accidently delete PMs! Life happens.

I don't mind a little bartering, but I had a situation recently where someone offered me less than what my product was worth (not to mention shipping!), but I told them that was ok and to send the pp. A day later they sent me a pm saying they only had less than that in their pp account and could they send that instead or trade me some things I had already politely declined...um no. I didn't even respond. I found it very rude and couldn't think of a nice way to reply.

A little perspective...Before homeschoolers had places to sell their curricula online, all we had were used curriculum sales where materials sold for a fraction of the cost...like yard sales. Think $3-$4 for items that cost 10x that originally. We didn't recoup our costs at all. Just sayin'.

In the future, I will just delete the emails and move on to the next buyer.

I do like the suggestion of requesting that they get back to me within a certain time period. :iagree: But, then, doesn't that come across as being rude too?

I think once someone has made contact asking about a product, then it's actually polite to let them know that the item will be sold to the first person who actually pays. ;) I wouldn't think that someone needed to hold an item while I made up my mind. Perhaps you could come up with some wording for your response e-mail that lets the person know that the item isn't sold yet.