Menu

gross, yuck, gag, maggots!!

(nak, apologies for ... everything)

anyone have some fly/maggot ridding remedies?

oh i am so grossed out right now!

2 wk ago eldest took out trash and cleaned the dumpster with bleach as shall be the weekly norm

we also cleared out the entire garage and hosed down the floor, bleaching it as well

last week, weekly trash pick up and dumpster cleaning..this was thursday, mind you

now here we are monday and maggots abound (ugh I'm about to barf at the word!!)

i have him pull out the dumpster so i can hose it off and spray the floor where it was

i cannot empty the garage weekly!!

oh there must be something

please oh please!?!

i'm going to take a nice long bleach soak now, see you in 3 hr *shudder*

*gag*

was putting our trash can directly in FULL sun, on a blazing hot day. We had to go out periodically and turn the can around, so that all parts were directly in full sun. Otherwise the maggots would just wriggle into the shaded areas. But wherever they could not get away from the sun, they fried up.

Very disgusting. I still dread opening the trash can in the summer.

Michelle T

Actually, there are a few thoughts here:

1. Maggots come from fly eggs. (You know this, yes?) So, if you don't shudder at flies, there is little reason to be disgusted into a bleach bath by maggots. Yes, I agree, they look nasty with their fat little wiggly bodies. But, if you think of them as baby flies, maybe you won't be quite so skeeved out.

2. If you keep your trash in a manner that excludes flies, you shouldn't have as much trouble with maggots. Can you store your trash in tightly sealed bags inside the dumpster? Can you switch from an open dumpster arrangement to a tighly lidded trash pail arrangement? It might not be perfect, but it might cut down on the numbers of flies that get into your trash.

3. No amount of scrubbing will keep flies from being attracted to each week's garbage. You'll still have a new batch every week as long as it is exposed to flies. You might, however, do well to hang fly strips in the garage, near the dumpster/pail, to trap some of the pesky things before they manage to lay their eggs.

4. Consider holding out meat products like chicken bones, etc. from the trash until time for pick up. I often freeze pan drippings, chicken carcasses, and other similar products until the night before they are to be taken away. Really cuts down on stink factor and might cut down on your fly factor.

Hope you're recovering from being so grossed out.

And hope this helps,

yeaaaah....the 'aww cute... a baby fly' trick isn't working LOL

I will try the fly traps out there and see what I can do about holding off on their fave scraps.

I'll have to see if the trash can be stored elsewhere. The subdivision is picky about such things. Hopefully behind the house will suffice.

Thanks gals!

(doran, love your sig line, newspaper..cracks me up every time!)

Seriously. Chemicals and such take too long, and who wants exposure to a bunch more chemicals? Dump the trash can upside down on the driveway, bang it a bunch of times, and then stomp and slide the maggots to death. Gross, but quick and effective. Have your dc help, if they will. Walk around in the lawn afterward to clean off your shoes. Then, hose down the trash can, let it dry in the sun, and put in a new bag when it's dry. Make sure all future trash bags are knotted tightly to keep out flies so they can't lay eggs in the trash (don't just tie the sides together, twist the whole thing and tie a knot). Make sure the lid is completely closed on the can at all times so flies can't even get inside. You shouldn't have maggot problems again, as long as there are no flies in the trash.

I had maggots in my kitchen trash once. And Doran, I adore you to pieces, but no matter what you say, maggots are horrible, gross, nasty, disgusting little things. I don't care that they are "baby flies." Yuck, yuck, yuck.

What I do now is, any time I have something that will potentially attract flies, I put it in its own plastic bag and tie it up. That seems to work pretty well. I know, I know, I'm preserving that garbage for future generations, but I'm telling you, they don't want the maggots either!!!

maggots in a live animal.

I have seen a few very sad cases of animal neglect with hundreds of maggots embedded in the skin. We use screwworm spray to kill the maggots.

It is always such a tragedy to see these cases. Oftentimes the animal has diarrhea or is debilitated and has a wound that attracts flies....etc. etc.

maggots in a live animal.

I have seen a few very sad cases of animal neglect with hundreds of maggots embedded in the skin. We use screwworm spray to kill the maggots.

It is always such a tragedy to see these cases. Oftentimes the animal has diarrhea or is debilitated and has a wound that attracts flies....etc. etc.

But aren't maggots also used to "clean-up" certain types of wounds in both animals and humans when there is dead flesh that might otherwise become gangrenous? If memory serves maggots can do a much better job of this than a surgeon with a knife.

OK...now we're sick :tongue_smilie::lol:

Bill

But aren't maggots also used to "clean-up" certain types of wounds in both animals and humans when there is dead flesh that might otherwise become gangrenous? If memory serves maggots can do a much better job of this than a surgeon with a knife.

OK...now we're sick :tongue_smilie::lol:

Bill

Sadly, I've been in the position of having an animal infested with maggots. On both occasions, it was a farm chicken. In one case, a hen had a wound which was hidden under a wing, so I did not realize she was injured until the wound was full of fly larvae. The other case was equally if not more horrid, so I'll spare you the details. These were not cases of neglet but of lack of knowledge and a "farm animal" mindset that did not have room for veterinary expenses. This is why I learned to use a pellet gun at close range. It was the more humane option.

But, yes, Spy Car, you remember correctly. The key is that the maggots were used in a sterile environent and were sterilized themselves first. I guess they all took little antimicrobial/antibacterial showers first! :lol:

If you're really brave, here's a Wiki article that describes the technique more completely - it even has a photo. Warning to any with even a remote case of the heebs -- do not click that link!