Menu

Avoiding Flour and Sugar. What do you eat?

I have been thinking this would be a good thing for me to do, but I really have no idea where to start. I was talking with a young lady and she mentioned that she does this during the week. Unfortunately we couldn't get into a conversation about it.

So how do you do it? What does one eat when they love bread/toast for breakfast?

Help!

eggs

yogurt (unsweetened with some stevia and or berries, which are low in sugar)

cottage cheese (sometimes with tomatoes, salt, and pepper)

coconut flour waffles

almond flour or coconut flour muffins (I don't do either waffles or muffins daily by any means though)

leftovers

avocado

chicken sausage (feta and chicken, apple and chicken)

regular pork sausage

bacon

egg or chicken salad

eta: agree on one minute muffin too :)

I'll also add in warm weather I like a smoothie or shake for breakfast. I berries, Jay Robb Protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, and a little bit of stevia. That's also a "snack" in a pinch in warm weather.

Edited by Momof3littles

When dh was diagnosed pre-diabetic he started by cutting out sugars and significantly reducing starches. It was hard for awhile. For breakfast he has scrambled eggs with onions, bellpepper, spinach. He can also eat Ezekiel bread. He doesn't like yogurt. He also fills up by using real half-and-half in his coffee. He tries to grab a salad or a veggie-heavy wrap for lunch when he needs it but a lot of times he gets by on an apple and some nuts because of his big breakfast. He really enjoyed one particular breakfast buffet while he was traveling because they had smoked salmon.

For dinner I try to up our veggies. Like when I make spaghetti (a carb heavy meal) I saute onions and peppers to replace half the pasta and also add a bunch of shredded spinach to the bowl (not in the sauce). We also usually have broccoli and salad. It's been a challenge; I'm not a creative cook.

It has taken me a long time to get to the point where I enjoy eating an egg for breakfast. I've never been a big breakfast eater--usually just a piece of toast. Unless you have a health situation where you need to make changes quickly I'd say take it slowly. Making a significant dent in your carb intake will affect you and may not feel good at first. I know--I'm still working on it. Dh says it took a couple of weeks to get over the fuzzy-headedness but he made drastic changes. Good luck to you!

Are you trying to avoid all wheat, or just refined flour?

In case it's the latter: my favorite breakfast consists of Bob's Red Mill Muesli mixed with plain yogurt and a few berries. But it does contain wheat, and raisins so there's sugar there (as well as in the berries).

I have been thinking this would be a good thing for me to do, but I really have no idea where to start. I was talking with a young lady and she mentioned that she does this during the week. Unfortunately we couldn't get into a conversation about it.

So how do you do it? What does one eat when they love bread/toast for breakfast?

Help!

I don't eat flour or sugar. For breakfast I usually have eggs, or sometimes leftovers.

For lunch I have dinner leftovers

For dinner I have a lot of meat & veggie based dishes. Stir fries, curries, grilled steak & veggies, chicken & broccoli, meatballs, bunless burgers, etc.