Menu

A little deflated about my husband's job choices...

They are all good, he has a good job now. I know I should suck it up. He had 3 positions offered at one company. One was in Atlanta, desk job so no more being out in the heat. The second was traveling 5 days a week (probably more, we've been down that road before) and it was $10,000 a year more. The third was the same salary as the first, but was based in a town about 2 hours from us. So too far to really commute, not the best town so I didn't want to live there. I was so hoping he'd take the first option. I spent tons of time looking at housing in Atlanta and found such cute ones for such good prices!

Today he told me that the position in Atlanta was off the table, he didn't want to leave his current job immediately and they had to fill it. The other two jobs are still offered, but he wouldn't be as amenable to moving and I don't want to stay here. BUT the company he is with doesn't want to lose him, got wind of him job searching and wants to negotiate for him to stay. And move to Chicago. I love Chicago but it is depressing looking at the housing there. We can't afford anything that looks decent. We HAVE to have a minimum of 3 beds/2 baths because we have 3 kids, boy/girl mix, 1 teen and a preteen and a soon to be preteen. We are way past 3 kids in one room and all sharing a bathroom happily. I don't know a ton about the areas of Chicago but most everything even close to our price range appears to be, um, slummy? And so many things, even expensive things, say section 8 approved. I don't know what that means in Chicago, maybe it is really common. Here, though, we only have one part of town Section 8 approved and you do NOT want to live there. It is rampant with drugs, prostitution, fighting, drinking, child abuse... I'm hoping that is just small town stuff, and it might be different in larger cities?

I really, really want to move. REALLY! I just want to be able to afford to live in the new place. I feel really discouraged. Does anyone know good websites to look at for rentals in Chicago. I'm trying to find something that makes me feel better, I don't want to let my husband know how sad I am about missing out on Atlanta. We are in a single family home now, apartments don't work well for us with big kids, and it just seemed much easier to find a plethora of choices in Atlanta. Surely there is something in Chicago? His office would be in Burr Ridge, wherever that is. I'm not sure what "part" of Chicago that would fall under. Which makes it even harder to look. Sigh. :confused:

I don't know anything about Chicago, but I'm just wondering - if he moves to a place with a higher cost of living, won't he get a raise to compensate for that? If they want him to make the move, they should be amenable to paying him a decent salary to live in the area. Or doesn't it work like that?

I'm sorry you are blue about this. My husband is looking for a job now and it can be discouraging.

Oh yes, he would be getting a large raise either way. His current company will match the competitor company if he stays. I'm just being a sad sack because I really wanted to go to Atlanta, the housing was less expensive and easier for me to understand LOL

I love Chicago, but I don't understand their suburbs. It's all Greek to me LOL It is at least better for my allergies, Atlanta would probably be worse. So I guess that's a silver lining.

No I think that area is good. However, the size house we need may be out of our proce range in that area. What I'm afraid of is that to get enough house we'd have to live in a bad area, kwim? I've been to burr ridge and some other areas and was impressed, but even 2 bed/ 1 bath was at or over $1000 a month. Which seems high to me.

What I meant by "wherever that is" is that apparently there is north and south and maybe other areas and I have no idea which it is lol

:grouphug: From one transplant to Chicagoland . . . you get used to it.

I grew up in central Iowa. Chicagoland was a shock to say the least. There are just so many suburbs!

I don't know the southern suburbs well. But I find zillow to be a good site for finding housing. You can change your search area pretty easily, so start near his office and move around until you find something decent in your price range.

Burr Ridge is not on a Metra line, but I suspect there are Pace buses from there to a Metra stop. If you wanted to live in a suburb further from Chicago (generally decreases the housing prices), using Metra can be helpful. Also, Burr Ridge is on I-55 (the Stevenson -- Chicagoans like to name their highways!). That would also help with traveling to work from further out.

I hope you find something you like. We're house hunting right now, too, though not in a new area. But it's always hard!

I did a couple of quick searches. Look in Westmont, Darien, Downers Grove, and Woodridge. All are close to Burr Ridge and had some rentals under $1500 (3+ bed, 2+ bath). I know it seems like a lot, but it really just is the market out here. We rented a 2 bed/1 bath for $1000/month 10 years ago (dang. . . where did that 10 years go?). I imagine that apartment is $1300+ now. I hope that you find something affordable.

If his job is downtown and he does not need to drive, then you can pick a town or small city on a commuter train line. We live in Elgin - hubby can walk to the train and is downtown in less than an hour. Is he stuck behind the wheel of a car in traffic? No - he is chatting or reading or listening to podcasts or napping.

We have a five bedroom two-story 1906 four-square and good neighbors - Kane Country, too, so avoid Cook County (Chicago) taxes etc. Our mortgage with taxes included is $1100/month.

Lots of different Metra commuter lines radiate out from Chicago. Lots of good buys, too - our neighbor's 1896 Victorian next door is on the market for $100,000 - three bedroom, two bath. You can get even better deals, too, and not be in section 8 housing.

Oh - now I see - Burr Ridge. Never mind. I have no idea about that area. I am in n/w suburbs and that is south. If you venture out of Burr Ridge, aim for reverse commute (you do not want to live farther out from Chicago and have to have him driving with everyone trying to get to Chicago to get to work - live east of Burr Ridge and have him driving away from Chicago on the major roads to get to work. I'd always wanted to be in Brookfield because of the zoo ;-)

Edited by JFSinIL

I did a couple of quick searches. Look in Westmont, Darien, Downers Grove, and Woodridge. All are close to Burr Ridge and had some rentals under $1500 (3+ bed, 2+ bath). I know it seems like a lot, but it really just is the market out here. We rented a 2 bed/1 bath for $1000/month 10 years ago (dang. . . where did that 10 years go?). I imagine that apartment is $1300+ now. I hope that you find something affordable.

Thank you for taking the time to search. That helps me narrow down some areas, I just don't know all the suburbs and which ones are close to where we'd want to be - my husband tells me that makes a difference. You don't want to pick a suburb that is "north" if you are working "south" for instance.

I think $1200-ish would be our range, however, depending on the property and benefits of living there, we might go slightly more. He found a 2 bed/1 bath apartment that is VERY dated and not in the best shape, and it was $1025 a month! I was :confused: because we are talking in need of MAJOR overhaul. The area was good, though, and I bet that's what drives the rent up. We just have nothing like that here, rent is based on size - location means little.

I have no idea about that area. I am in n/w suburbs and that is south.

Ha! But, see, I'm out of my element with the whole which part of Chicago thing! When people say "Oh, do you want North Chicago?" I tend to smile and try to look pretty, because I have no clue. Coming from such a tiny, rural town, cardinal directions are irrelevant. If I asked someone if they were from the North side of town, here, they'd think I'd lost my mind.

That's a good tip on the reverse commute. I've heard him mention that, so I'm assuming he knows how to figure all that out :tongue_smilie:I just know how to plug stuff in the GPS.

City Data is a nice place to talk to locals of any area you might consider living in.

I've used this message board several times, it's amazing how friendly people are to talk things over with.

This one is to the Burr Ridge area.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chicago-suburbs/1057481-working-burr-ridge-where-live.html

Thanks for the link. I'll check that out. This is daunting. I've never wanted to consider myself a country girl, but this is kind of proving that I know little about city life.

Our family almost moved to Chicago recently and had similar issues. We were finally able to find a rental agent, who being from a large family herself, went out of her way for us. She even haggled with home owners to get us a lower rent. If your interested in contacting her, her name is Vivian DiTommaso. Good rental websites are Zillow and Padmapper, along side a Chicago crime map, of course. And you've probably found out there's lots of scammers in Chicago. Good luck!

When you talk to people, tell them you are looking in the south suburbs. More west than east. If you ell them Chicago, they'll start telling you about neighborhoods in the city proper (which all have names!) and then you'll be more confused!

I never thought I was a country girl either. I mean, I graduated in a class of 100. Which, it turns out, is tiny. :D