Menu

Friend confessed 4th grader knows very little math & she needs curriculum help!

klmama

My friend and her dd have a battle of wills, which the dd usually wins with math (which is a whole 'nuther issue). Her dh was supposed to teach math this year so she wouldn't have to, but he didn't follow through. As a result the dd's math skills are at about the end of 1st grade level. I'd teach her myself, except we live too far away to make it happen. Teaching Textbooks would be great, except it doesn't have an appropriate level. Any other programs that might help her get her dd up to speed, without the mom having to do the actual teaching?

MUS would be a good program to try. My ds10 is also way behind as far as math is concerned. He didn't know any of his facts and it was hindering him in higher level math. So, we went back to the beginning w/ MUS (Alpha) so he could really cement his addition, subtraction facts. We're now moving into Beta (multi-digit add/subt) and then on to Gamma to "re-learn" the mult. tables (which he never really memorized anyway!). MUS has the DVD's that actually teach the lessons. Mr. Demme is very "likable" and teaches in a way that really makes it stick. The child can watch by herself and do the lessons after. I like to watch ahead of time and then "help" my son when he has questions, but he really enjoys the lessons on the DVD and likes to watch himself. I vote for MUS!

Do they have Kumon in their area? I wouldn't normally pick it for a primary math program, but it's very thorough with the basics and the mom wouldn't have to be the primary teacher. (But the work would still have to be done -- I can't see any way around *that*.) A year or so of Kumon might get her to the level where she could move on to Teaching Textbooks or something similar.

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

She would be entering 6th grade if she was in ps, but she only knows addition and subtraction, and some of her multiplication tables. We have used Singapore, which I love and which works well for my other dc. But any time she needs help understanding what to do, and I try to teach her, she shuts down, and I end up angry.:angry: I haven't quite come to a place where I can react more appropriately.

She would be moving into Singapore 4 this fall, but as I have taken my eldest child through 4 and 5, and seen the concepts presented there, I realized that WWIII would end up starting at my kitchen table if something didn't change.

I have switched her to MUS, where there is a neutral person (Mr. Demme) doing the explaining. It has only been one week, but so far so good. :thumbup:

So, I highly recommend that you have your friend look at MUS. There are placement tests on the website. And with MUS, you can quickly work through lessons that you know the material (by doing one worksheet and then the test, for example) and spend more time on the lessons where the student needs the practice.

We really love Rightstart, but even just using the Math Card Games book to help her have fun learning might be worthwhile. The card games don't seem like "math" but they do a great job of ingraining the methods.

But RightStart requires a *lot* of parent/child interaction. If that's something that the family just can't do right now (and I think if that's the case, it desperately needs to be worked on -- but in the mean time, the child still needs to learn basic math), then I can't imagine RS working.

My friend and her dd have a battle of wills,...I'd teach her myself, except we live too far away to make it happen. quote]

Is the girl willing to accept any teaching from the mother? That kind of problem doesn't go away. You are such a good friend to get involved. It sounds your friend really needs a supportive shoulder like yours to lean on.

If I were in your shoes I would try to tutor the girl through e-mail, but only if the mother isn't being lax about the whole homeschool situation. We have to be realistic. Some people like the idea of homeschooling, but never really embrace the discipline required to educate their children.

There are complete courses and worksheets online that she could print off and she could scan and mail the sheet for you to grade. If you need links to some of those courses, let me know and I"ll post them.

It sounds like the mom has to start investing in digital lectures like Teaching Textbooks as the other ladies recommended.

My friend and her dd have a battle of wills,...I'd teach her myself, except we live too far away to make it happen. quote]

We have to be realistic. Some people like the idea of homeschooling, but never really embrace the discipline required to educate their children.

:iagree:

She should think about either disciplining her dd (mom/dh being consistent and making dd do her lessons - shall I say CONSEQUENCES) or sending her to school. This is years in the making (if she's doing math 1 work) and isn't going to be resolved easily.

Some people like the idea of homeschooling, but never really embrace the discipline required to educate their children.

I agree with everything Love2Read says. If the mother can't get her to do any math, how does it matter whether it's with a tutor, with a computer, or in a book in her mom's hands? If you can't get your kids to do what you say, education-wise, your only choice is unschooling. When I tutored, kids whose parents didn't enforce my homework assignments simply didn't do well. I suspect the same is true of most schools. That parent-child relationship is key to success in any setting, with any curriculum.

But, if she's handling the discipline issue, then for a catch up program I'd recommend Developmental Math. A kid can breeze through four or five grade levels of the worktexts in a year.

:iagree:

I think she should think about either disciplining her dd (mom/dh being consistent and making dd do her lessons - shall I say CONSEQUENCES) or sending her to school. This is years in the making (if she's doing math 1 work) and isn't going to be resolved easily.

This! I was thinking this is more a problem with discipline and structure than learning. Both mom and dad need to get with the program. Mom should have been on top of things when it became apparent that dad was dropping the ball. Both parents are allowing the tail to wag the dog. Just my opinion. ;)

How about http://www.time4learning.com/

I do agree that they need a structured plan for dealing with the daughter. I would suggest seeking professional help regarding the daughter's defiance issues. This cannot be happening in just math this type of behavior and the parent's accepting of it has to leak out in other areas of their home life.

They may need some help with creating a system of rewards and punishments that they MUST stick to.

Jill

We have not used it, but I have to second everyone's suggestion of MUS. Several people I have talked to absolutely love it and swear by it. Since there are dvds, she would not have to be the primary teacher.

We are going to TT next year so that it can do the "teaching" of the math steps. My dd also seems to shut down with math, but that may be more because I am so bad at explaining it! lol I have heard that the TT 5 is really more at a 4 or lower level, and they review the basics, so that may be an option, too?

I have to respectfully present another side to the situation, just because I'm afraid their situation may be the same as ours. My children are very well disciplined in every area, including their school work. That doesn't change the fact that for whatever reason my dd shuts down when I start trying to teach her math. She will do the work, but not get a single thing out of it. I have no idea why she has a mental block, but regardless its there. It's not a matter of defiance, its a situation that she and I don't have control over.

I'm only writing this because I don't want someone else just starting out in this situation think that its their child's fault for not getting math. It's taken a lot of tears to get us to this point, but I've discovered that anything that involves someone impartial teaching, she can get. If its me teaching it, we can forget about it.

It goes without saying that the situation the OP is referring to could be a different situation entirely than ours, including a discipline problem. I wouldn't want to make someone feel bad about their homeschooling situation or believe they don't have any options while still homeschooling.

She should think about either disciplining her dd (mom/dh being consistent and making dd do her lessons - shall I say CONSEQUENCES) or sending her to school. This is years in the making (if she's doing math 1 work) and isn't going to be resolved easily.

I'm suggesting MUS too. It has transformed maths with my ds11. he came out of Teaching textbooks (where he tested into pre alg!!!!) and went into alpha, we skipped through beta as he knew the concept, just didn't know the facts, now we are in gamma and have slowed way down. We watch the video and then do the pages over the next 3 or 4 days. we also do the on-line drill

there is a yahoo MUS group that is VERY helpful