Menu

S/O of Sonic thread: do you tip carry out places?

DH and I did the curbside carryout at Outback last night. We never do this, so I don't know what is appropriate. They have a place for the tip and the guy brings your bill out in the little folder. But all he did was spend a few minutes bringing out my food. Kinda a glorified drive thru worker. He certainly didn't tend to our needs/wants, refill drinks, clean up dishes, ect. (On that note, they didn't even get the order right and I had to wait awhile for food that was starting to get cold. Though the guy was fast and friendly once he got to me.) What is expected in this situation? I'm a little bitter that I paid any tip, since we paid $40 for a meal only to get it home and not have it all be there. grr. But that's beside the point; what is standard for this situation?

At many restaurants, the person who handles carry-outs is a waiter who is giving up time with other tables to do so. When I waitressed in college, we all hated the carry-out orders :D because they were often a pain and they rarely tipped. So it fell to which waitstaff felt bad for the person standing there and caved in to do it. :lol: I'm sure Outback has a better system.

I usually tip 10% for carryout, but that is the little home cooking place down the road.

We had a really long thread about this a while back. Maybe someone has a link? The opinions were all over the place...

That's what i did- 10% (rounded up) So I guess that's ok. Still felt like a lot to give the guy $4 to carry food out. But if he's a displaced waiter, I guess he needs it. I didn't find the thread, but i did find one on what order things are served that got locked. :lol: We can argue about anything!

When I go pick up pizza at Dominoes (it's delivery or carry out only, no dining area), there is a place on the receipt for a tip. I do not tip when I'm picking up, only when I get delivery. I assume it's there not to encourage people to tip for carry out, but because it would be silly/cost-ineffective to have two different point of sale systems to generate different types of receipts.

My SIL is an assistant manager at an Italian restaurant. He says that the wait staff that take care of the take out are assigned there instead of to tables and that yes, they depend on those tips. They take some time to place the order, bag it all up with sides and whatever.

I personally think the restaurant is getting the same price for a meal I take home and eat as for the one I eat in the restaurant without having to do the dishes, wipe the tables, serve my drink, so therefore the take out staff should get paid on a different scale than if they were waiting on tables.

I am old school where the waitstaff got paid minimum wage the same as everyone else and a tip was extra for good service. Makes me nuts that our tip is now expected and many times even included in the bill.

Rant over.

Added, we are very generous tippers when we dine out. All the tip jars and the expectations that surround that just makes me nuts.

Maybe I should put a tip jar in my kitchen.

Edited by KatieinMich

I'm more inclined not to, but dh does (except at carryout pizza at Domino's or similar). But carryout at a regular restaurant and even at a coffee shop, he'll tip. He used to work food service for many years and I think that's why.