Menu

Decluttering is a PROCESS not a single event!

Thought I would share with you all my decluttering success! My children's rooms were simply overloaded with....stuff. My son who doesn't even like playing with toys much was really drowning in his stuff, stuff from his sister, stuff from my mother, etc. About once a month we have done a pretty radical clean out. The first few times I was getting rid of mostly junk. Then I was getting rid of stuff he had outgrown. This last time I realized we were down to just getting rid of those items that for whatever reason he has no interest in. I can say now that he has in his room only those items that are special to him or that he will use. Now that there is less stuff he also can find the things he actually likes and play with them!

There is a light at the end of the tunnel! I had to rethink my decluttering method but the once a month total review really worked for the kids rooms.

Argh, I'm in the middle of this. I dejunked (and I do mean *junk*) my carport, and managed to work on 1 whopping bedroom today. It belongs to my oldest son. I hauled out four bags of just carp from his walk in closet. Old workbooks, boxes from toys, old and broken toys... It isn't like this is the first time I've ever sorted his closet, either. I was none too happy. Still, I now have the junk out and the remainder sorted into two piles - the keep pile (very small) and the yard sale pile :) I'm getting ready to list my house for sale and ALL CARP MUST GO!! What a motivator LOL

I also spent some time listing bigger items on craigslist, fingers crossed.

I get that overwhelming feeling!! What I did was the first few times I allowed one "miscellaneous" box to remain. However, it got smaller and smaller each time through. Either I was more ruthless about getting rid of stuff, or my son agreed something was junk, or a combination of both. I also allowed him to review what we were getting rid of so he didn't think I was doing anything behind his back. I would allow him to pull back one or two items that he decided he really liked and then I would get rid of the rest. I do feel that even he was overwhelmed in his room.

Now on to my daughter's...aagh!

Cammie, thank you! I needed to read this today. I'm trying to dig out and it can be hard to stay motivated. We don't quite qualify for the show "Hoarders" but it feels too close for comfort.

Edited by PollyOR

Yep, it definitely is. I feel like I've been decluttering for 10 years, and it never ends. Some days I long to go back to our first married days. One bedroom apartment with inflatable mattress, folding card table and chairs in the dining room and a couple plastic lawn chairs for living room furniture. At that time, I was all about "moving up" in the furniture world, but man there are days...

Ah, the joy of 20/20 hindsight.

I've put together a weekly chore chart for my kids that we will probably start next week. On Wednesdays, one of their chores is simply listed as "3 things". Every Wednesday they'll have to choose three items to get rid of. Each week will be a different theme such as toys, clothes, books, papers, little doodads, etc. There is no time like the present for them to learn the process of decluttering. I did just declutter a whole bunch from their playroom this weekend so toys will be awhile before we hit that theme week.

Edited by fraidycat

I get that overwhelming feeling!! What I did was the first few times I allowed one "miscellaneous" box to remain. However, it got smaller and smaller each time through. Either I was more ruthless about getting rid of stuff, or my son agreed something was junk, or a combination of both. I also allowed him to review what we were getting rid of so he didn't think I was doing anything behind his back. I would allow him to pull back one or two items that he decided he really liked and then I would get rid of the rest. I do feel that even he was overwhelmed in his room.

Now on to my daughter's...aagh!

Any advice for a mom whose children are way too attached to their things? My 14 yo remembers baby dolls that I got rid of when she was 3! My middle daughter especially attached meaning and value to Every. Single. Toy. She. Has.

Oh how I wish I could go back and start over and never allow toy boxes!!!!

I've been doing great decluttering my things and school stuff and clothing, etc. But the girls personal things have been a problem for years. And now it's really gotten out of hand.

Any advice for a mom whose children are way too attached to their things? My 14 yo remembers baby dolls that I got rid of when she was 3! My middle daughter especially attached meaning and value to Every. Single. Toy. She. Has.

Oh how I wish I could go back and start over and never allow toy boxes!!!!

I've been doing great decluttering my things and school stuff and clothing' date=' etc. But the girls personal things have been a problem for years. And now it's really gotten out of hand.[/quote']

My rule: if you want to keep it, it has to live in YOUR room. Neatly. Diamond has 17+ years worth of much beloved stuff. She also has a 10x10 room, with a 5' wide reach-in closet. The closet has the only access to our attic (unused except for electrical/insulation issues) so she can't stuff her closet tight.

The only things she doesn;t have to keep in her room are out-of-season clothes and large sports items. Or items for general family use. But "her" books, stuffed animals, precious keepsakes, personal craft supplies? All in her room.

Now, after you read that, don;t be fooled into thinking I have a nice, neat, orderly home. I have a small home, and WAY too much stuff. :glare: The real reason she has to keep all of her stuff in her room is that there is just nowhere else for it to go. :lol:

OK, ladies...I have to continue my huge decluttering project, so that we can move. :) School has officially finished and it's week 1. For some inspiration, I went to the Flylady site. She has a short video demonstrating her *decluttering kit*, and it is just hysterical. She keeps trying to fold and unfold these 'pop-up' bins that are for things to keep, things to throw away, and things to give away. There is somebody off camera who is laughing through the whole thing...it's worth a watch to get ya off the couch and decluttering! http://shop.flylady.net/pages/FlyShop_declutter.asp (scroll down for the video) :lol:

Maybe they could take pictures and keep a photo album of their beloved treasures.