Menu

My Father's World???

My first love was Sonlight, and I completely intended to use sonlight throughout our schooling. But I really dislike their LA, and for the price it just isn't worth it at this point.

So I used ambleside online and TWM to put together my own curriculum this year. I felt really good about the work I have done and I think it is going to be a good 1st grade year. BUT..... then I saw MFW and I really like the looks of it. I have to say that I am not sold on their 1st grade program, but the other grades look really good.

If I do SOTW year 1 this year and then pick up MFW next year and follow their program are my kids going to be hopelessly lost and confused. An extra year studying the ancients won't kill anyone .... right??

Meredith

Hmm, I am confused...you say you like Sonlight but don't like their LA....now you are looking at MFW......but Sonlight and MFW are history programs at their "core".....the rest, including LA, is something they "add in" to complete the program. Then you mention SOTW. So are you looking to switch history programs or LA programs?

Not sure why if you know you like Sonlight, you don't stick with Sonlight for the parts you like, and just use something else for LA? Lots and LOTS of people don't like Sonlight's LA but use they use Sonlight for the history, which is really the heart of Sonlight anyway.

MFW doesn't really even have LA, at least their own, after 1st grade, they use PLL and ILL. MFW doesn't even start Ancients until the 2nd year of their 5 year cycle (so that would be 3rd-4th grade for most students if they did 1st, and then Adventures). What grade would you be doing MFW for? Because if you did SOTW this year ,and then started MFW, would you be doing Adventures, which is American History, or ECC which World Geo/Cultures. Why would they be doing Ancients two years in a row (and no that wouldn't kill them but it might get boring for you, which means it starts falling by the wayside, IMHO)???

Sonlight's pricing is pretty on par with MFW pricing, when you just use the history portion of Sonlight.

You seem a bit all over the place in your thought process;), and I say that with a smile and tongue-in-cheek like we are friends, not being snarky, I promise.

My Father's World for 2nd grade (which I am interested in) is $298 and I would have to add in L.A. and Math

Sonlight Core B is $449 (hasn't L.A. been made part of the core? some of their changes this year have me confused). Plus I would need to add in L.A. (of my choosing), math, science. (I feel like $450 for readers and history is more than I want to spend).

So I think I would end up saving a good bit if I chose to go with MFW.

What I had in mind was... Going ahead with year 1 of SOTW for 1st grade, MFW U.S. History for 2nd grade, Exploring Countries and Cultures for 3rd grade and then Creation to the Greeks for 4th grade.

My concern is about the disrupted nature of the history... ancients then U.S. then geography/cultures, back to the ancients ..... sounds a bit all over the place to me. Would I be better off to scrap our history plans this year and do something that would fit in a bit better (perhaps state history or a study of England where DH is from). Or is it okay just to stick with the ancients then abandon world history for two years and come back to it in 4th.

Sorry for the confused post, I shouldn't try to post while I am distracted :001_smile:.

By next year you may find something you do not like about MFW. On the flip side, you may find a different curriculum you love! There is a ton to learn in the first few years. If you like what you have put together.....go with it!

Next year is still a year away.

For what it is worth, I do not use Sonlight, because of the changes they have made. MFW is not the right fit either. :001_smile:

You will be absolutely fine if you use SOTW for 1st then follow MFW's sequence. Your dc will not remember everything from SOTW so when you get to CTG there will be plenty to learn. MFW does not use SOTW 1, so the books will be new.

Go ahead and do what is best for your kids (and your wallet!) and have fun!:)

You will be absolutely fine if you use SOTW for 1st then follow MFW's sequence. Your dc will not remember everything from SOTW so when you get to CTG there will be plenty to learn. MFW does not use SOTW 1, so the books will be new.

:iagree: Rebecca did SOTW 1, SL Core 1 (B), and then MFW Adventures and is going on to ECC this year. No ill effects! ;)

My understanding (though I haven't looked at it myself) is that Sonlight new requires their LA to be sold with their history. I have a couple friends who are really frustrated with this. I'm ASSUMING that's what the op was referring to.

Nope, that is ONLY if you are buying the entire Core. You can purchase just the history IG and the books that go with it. I know, cuz that is exactly what I have done in May.

You can purchase an whole Core, which is all of the history, readalouds, LA, Science, Bible.

OR you can purchase just the individual components. The history portion of Sonlight is about $200, give or take.

What I had in mind was... Going ahead with year 1 of SOTW for 1st grade' date=' MFW U.S. History for 2nd grade, Exploring Countries and Cultures for 3rd grade and then Creation to the Greeks for 4th grade.

:001_smile:.[/quote']

I'm doing exactly this! I'm not TOO concerned about disrupting world history. My thought is, at least they get through the historical cycle 2 1/2 times (if you count high school) rather than just two, if that makes sense.

I have tried both mfw, sunlight, and sotw. I have to say, sotw wins hands down! It is what we used last year, and will continue to use till we finish the 4 books. I don't know...maybe it's the ease of use, or the price, or the look of excitement on my kids faces when I get the book out. Non, of which, happened the other two years with mfw and sunlight. Every family is different, though. You have to do what is best for you. :)

I'm a noober to all of this (this is my first post), but I've been researching MFW extensively. My big girls are 3rd and 6th, and the next is 1st..

The first grader will join the MFW 'cycle' next year, so for this year, I am seeking a basic curriculum for her that is something somewhat different. I worry that the redundancy of doing MFW for 2 grades will drive ME crazy. Kind of considering the time4learning for her this year.

I've heard RAVES about ECC though.

:iagree: I see no problem with doing SOTW for 1st and then folloing MFW's sequence. Sounds like a good plan to me:)