Menu

NY Times article about lab created virus

Uh...

Yeah, I may need a beer to recover from the article.

This seems like one of those situations where "because we can" is just not good enough.

My reply seems incoherent. I think I'm under-caffeinated for processing virologists' nightmares.

What is the name of the book (or maybe it was a series of books) that Stephen Kin wrote about the virus that escaped.

ETA: It was The Stand.

I read The Stand when I was in high school and working as a waitress on the weekends. I remember recoiling a few times from customers whenever they would cough or sneeze. It took me a few seconds each time to remember that I was in no danger, it was only a book.

I too immediately thought of The Stand. Now I won't see a crow or raven without wondering if it's Randall Flagg. :shudder:

Not seeing a point in creating such a thing.

Me, too! And there's a bypass loop off 95 around Philly that is just desolate, with big, industrial electric poles that makes me feel like I'm heading into his territory.

No, I don't see the purpose of this. Nor do I see the purpose in publishing. And the comment about it being impractical to use as a bio-terror agent because the terrorists would infect themselves? Really? Suicide bombers, Dr Headinthesand? Because, if I were a terrorist, I'm feeling like an act that continues to propagate itself, and a 50/50 shot of dying in the process (as opposed to, say, the more traditional 100%) sounds like a pretty good deal.