Menu

s/o: Cost effectiveness of making your own stuff?

Where do you all live where you can find fabric at thrift shops (and not just sheets/clothes that you cut up for the fabric)? I can't remember EVER seeing fabric for sale at a thrift shop.

Orlando, and I don't often see lots of bulk fabric at the thrift stores. As you said, though, I've often bought sheets and curtains to chop of for sewing projects.

This is one of my favorite blogs:

http://grosgrainfabulous.blogspot.com/2010/09/thrift-store-thursday-first-impression.html

She takes horrible thrift store dresses (which can be had for a couple of dollars or less, at least at our thrift store) and remakes them into cute, trendy styles. Sometimes it's not even a dress, she starts with a shirt and turns it into a dress!

I just made curtains for three bedrooms, total of five windows, and it cost me $135. I was somewhat shocked with the fabric costs but it did give me the ability to match the kids' bedrooms. Next time, I'll probably think through the patterns/fabrics costs more thoroughly.

Where do you get your fabric? On-line? Even up in NY the fabric meccas are few and far between.

Hi. Just found this query directed my way a few days ago.

While my local owned fabric/sewing machine store mostly sells (gorgeous) quilt fabrics, they do have a bit of linen, voile, silk, etc. The same is true for Sew Mama Sew's online store.

The best online deals I have found for apparel fabric are at the Fashion Fabrics Club (link.) I bought an exquisite challis from them last year. Note that most of their fabrics are 52 - 60 inches wide which make them an even better bargain.

Good luck!

Homemade is not "cost effective" when it come to quantity/price. It is cost effective when one considers the quality, using less, the skills learned and honed (and passed on), and the ability make things that you may not be able to acquire through a store (affordably).

I've had plenty of people, over the years, hear I'm a seamstress and then ask me if I could make something for them because they didn't like a price they found elsewhere. I always hate breaking the news to them that they will be paying for both materials and my time, meaning they will be paying more than what they found elsewhere in most cases. If you are looking for cheap, I am not your person. If you are looking for quality and someone that has a skill you don't have, then I'm that person.

Sewing....

If you want it to be cheaper than Walmart, Target or Thrift store sales, it's going to be difficult. You have to either know about pattern making and make those yourself, reuse an old pattern, or wait for the pattern you want to go on sale for 99 cents.

Then you have to combine sales with 40 or 50% coupons for fabric. This might be plain white cotton you might normally use for a muslin. Then use RIT dye to get exactly the color you want. It's a lot of work for something that you don't care if it lasts very long.

If you're going to compare it to quality, brand-name clothing that is either specialty (sporting goods) or classics that you want to last for years, it is MUCH cheaper to sew it yourself. Especially if you know about custom fitting, dyeing, pattern making, and combine sales with coupons.

Like many have said, crafting is NOT cheap -- especially when it comes to clothes and such. For me, sewing is a hobby and I enjoy doing it. A benefit to making your own things is you can get exactly what you want, unlike anything you'd find in the store. A couple years ago I made my daughter the cutest fleece jacket. It was beautiful on her and she got to pick out exactly which colors she wanted. The jacket came with a hat. Normally hats don't fit DD because she has a melon-head, but I was able to make the jacket one size and the hat a larger size. The blankets I'm making for my kids aren't sold in stores. I've seen them on Etsy. I could make it for $50 and get exactly what I want, or pay someone on Etsy $100+ to make it for me, but I doubt it would be exactly what I want.