Menu

iPad users: how many gigabytes?

I am thinking of getting an iPad for educational things -- such as having all of Math Mammoth on it or a pdf of a science textbook. I'm sure there will be LOTS of other things that I can't even imagine now.

So what size would you recommend -- 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB?

Do you ever feel that you are running out of space on your iPad?

ETA I see most of my textbooks etc are around 50 MB, but I have no idea how much space iPad programs take, especially those written for Retina....

I have a 16gb and I have used just over half of it. I have had it a year. I have some music on it and that takes up 3.3 of the 8.5 I have on here. Things like MM and such don't take up a lot of room. I have about 2 and a half screens of apps, 3 shorter kids movies an episode of Jay Jay the Jet plane. honestly, before I feel like I am running out of space I think I will feel the need for more devices. With the three girls I feel like they will all have things to work on someday and by the time I get that much on the one, I think I will need multiple devices :glare:.

Eta:mine does not have retina, so that might make a difference!

Edited by hsmom23
To add info

I have a 16gb and I have used just over half of it. I have had it a year. I have some music on it and that takes up 3.3 of the 8.5 I have on here. Things like MM and such don't take up a lot of room. I have about 2 and a half screens of apps, 3 shorter kids movies an episode of Jay Jay the Jet plane. honestly, before I feel like I am running out of space I think I will feel the need for more devices. With the three girls I feel like they will all have things to work on someday and by the time I get that much on the one, I think I will need multiple devices :glare:.

Eta:mine does not have retina, so that might make a difference!

Thank you. I think I will be in the same boat as you about needing additional devices for multiple children.

I am thinking I may end up with more apps than I expect. I've heard that Retina apps take up about twice as much space as current apps and that a lot of apps will be rewritten for Retina. What's the opposite of every cloud has a silver lining?

Always get the most memory you can afford. Don't get the 16 if you can afford the 32 just because you think that would be more than enough based on what others say.

I mean if you think about it you're paying a lot for those first 16 gb, but then it's only $100 more to get another 16gb,and then another $100 more to double that amount again so the cost per GB goes down considerably.

Too many have come here posting about how they should have gotten the bigger ipod/ipad because they didn't think they'd use that much memory since apps don't take up that much.

It's always better to have too much room than to not have enough for what you want to use.

Too many have come here posting about how they should have gotten the bigger ipod/ipad because they didn't think they'd use that much memory since apps don't take up that much.

It's always better to have too much room than to not have enough for what you want to use.

:iagree:

My new iPad3 has 64G, even though I never used up all the space on my iPad2 that had 32G. With more and more apps being developed every day, and more ebooks, PDFs, worksheets and curriculum that can be used in place of paper, I can see available space filling up faster in the near future.

We just sold our 16G to get a 32G. When we got our first one, it seemed like SO much space. It's amazing how quickly it filled up! Definitely get as much space as you can. Part of me wonders if I will be selling this one next year to get the 64G. Oh, and if your state has tax-free weekend (usually in July or August), I would wait until then to make your purchase.

Well, I was just going to post and say at least 32, but I have the 64 and looked at my usage and had only 3 gb left available. Most of that was videos however, so when I took those off (mostly purchased tv shows) I now have 34 gb available. So, you can manage and take things on and off and probably be fine with 32. However, if you think putting on some educational videos, or taking a lot of video and photos, would be great then bump it up. I love having 64, but realistically should have saved some $$$$ and just gotten 32. But if you can afford more go for it. With just 16, you may have to manage quite a bit more and take things off and on, which is ok but makes it really a lot less useful for the things I have come to rely on it for - a full library of all my songs and audiobooks, as many apps as I want, many photos, and to be able to have quite a few videos on it to kill some hours on road trips (or to be honest, they were for me when I had to wait while ds was in class, they would rather play with the apps).

So that is just an idea of what each level of memory will do for you. I have the iPad 2, so it is possible the newerm iPad uses more room for the photos and videos it takes because they are a higher quality.

i got a 32G iPad 2 (refurb)... to start us off. I was very comfortable buying the refurb since it is fully warranted (and can buy additional warranty from amazon, square trade)

i had/have absolutely no need for the "improved retina display" so if/when we want another iPad i'd happily buy an iPad2 again.

with cloud storage, iTunes streaming at home, etc. i dont have any issues with size. I have pages and pages of apps on the iPad and still have LOTS and LOTS of space left. However, i do NOT use it for video or camera needs. (i have a phone that is ALWAYS with me, and 2 actual real cameras that one is nearly always with me, too)...

But yes, what everyone else said.. buy the biggest you can afford... and look to a refurb to allow your $$ to stretch further (IMO)

HTH

Thank you, everybody, for the advice. When I got my iMac, I got the most storage that was available. I guess I was thinking differently -- iPad = kids. But I hate the feeling of running out of space + it's for dd who is careful + it's for use at home, which should make it safer than if I let her carry it around.

I 'know' a lot of you who have posted -- thank you! So, I will take everyone's advice and go for 64 GB. (Someone offered an iPad as a gift. I didn't want to be greedy and buy MORE than I needed.)

Now, I have to decide about Apple Care -- I got it for my computer, wondering about iPad.

Thank you, everybody, for the advice. When I got my iMac, I got the most storage that was available. I guess I was thinking differently -- iPad = kids. But I hate the feeling of running out of space + it's for dd who is careful + it's for use at home, which should make it safer than if I let her carry it around.

I 'know' a lot of you who have posted -- thank you! So, I will take everyone's advice and go for 64 GB. (Someone offered an iPad as a gift. I didn't want to be greedy and buy MORE than I needed.)

Now, I have to decide about Apple Care -- I got it for my computer, wondering about iPad.

The new Apple Care they have now, I forget what it's called, covers accidental damage. So if your dd drops it or something spills on it, it's covered. We got it for ours. I still tell the kids to be careful, but I don't worry about something happening to it.

The new Apple Care they have now, I forget what it's called, covers accidental damage. So if your dd drops it or something spills on it, it's covered. We got it for ours. I still tell the kids to be careful, but I don't worry about something happening to it.

Yes, I saw that. Two accidents covered, but, if I read correctly, you have a sort of co-pay (my words) of $49 per accident.

I loved the Apple Care for my Mac -- just needed help w/ some questions.

DH surprised me with a 64 GB iPad for Christmas. I have 5 pages of folders with tons of apps, a few small videos, music, and as much school stuff as I can on it currently (Progressive Phonics, Expedition Erth, a ton of prek and k worksheets). I have used about 27 gb so far. I don't regret having the largest size.

DH surprised me with a 64 GB iPad for Christmas. I have 5 pages of folders with tons of apps, a few small videos, music, and as much school stuff as I can on it currently (Progressive Phonics, Expedition Erth, a ton of prek and k worksheets). I have used about 27 gb so far. I don't regret having the largest size.

Thx. It sounds like those GBs get used up fast!

I had to upgrade SillyAutismMan from a 16 to a 32 - got one refurbished (is that the word) from Apple. His was almost full! But he has a lot of video clips, apps (games) and e-books (the kind that read a-loud to him as he can not read yet). Also - music. Music takes up a lot of space!

I did look at the new iPad 3 at the Apple store...and could not tell how it was improved over the 2. So was fine with getting a refurbished iPad 2.